Microwaves.....worth fixing?

More
13 years 7 months ago #15604 by witheze
My 4 1/2 yr old Sharp microwave has died. The light died six months ago, [the first light died under warranty] and now the whole thing is dead. Are they worth fixing? I don't think 4 yrs is old? And it only has had light use but I am missing it for reheating and defrosting.
Will not buy a Sharp again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #236622 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Microwaves.....worth fixing?
I wondered that too, when my old faithful went and died. In the end, I just bought a near new one for $50 out of the paper. When that one subsequently died (after about 5 years I think) I got a real bargain off Trademe. Paid $16 for 2 microwaves. They are both older models but still going strong after 3 years.
They are so cheap to buy brand new, I doubt it would be worth fixing the old one. You could perhaps take it into the repair shop and get a quote??

More
13 years 7 months ago #236623 by Birman Babe
No, not worth fixing.
They are cheap as chips these days, especially if you can get them during a sale.
Try Farmers/Noel Leemings as they usually have good specials this time of year.

More
13 years 7 months ago #236645 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Microwaves.....worth fixing?
Nah, like BB says, they are cheap as chips these days.... Probably cost more to fix than to replace.

More
13 years 7 months ago #236676 by The Kats Place
I asked hubby and he says a technician would probable charge $50 just to take the back off to see whats wrong, then with the price of parts, well you might as well buy a new one as they are not that expensive anymore. Can you hold out till the boxing day sales? you might get a bargin then.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 7 months ago #236722 by grannie Mary
toss it, once you have one thing fixed its not long before something else goes wrong.
I learnt the hard way

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
13 years 7 months ago #236761 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Microwaves.....worth fixing?
Briscoes have them at good prices.. just save the plate, you will get money for that on TM . My original went 25yrs, the next lasted 10 yrs but with all the storm strikes etc slowly the electronics went phutt... so Im back to the dial up method.. of control. good luck with your purchase

More
13 years 7 months ago #236762 by witheze
I kept forgetting it wouldn't go and putting stuff in like cold tea, [:I] so decided to pull it out and take somewhere.......:confused: I tried switching it on and off and pushing the plug in harder to no avail. It's built in so after climbing up the kitchen unit and hanging down, I unplugged it, climbed down and hauled it out. On the way to the door I just had to plug it in another plug....just to make sure....... and away it bloody went! So then I grabbed the radio and manouvered its plug to the dud plug....and away it went too! :( So after literally climbing the wall ,the microwave is back in place and going. :rolleyes: If the electrician had put the power point in a more accessable place I could have been saved a lot of trouble and climbing...there was a skiddy ladder involved too. :D ....O.m.g. the Light is going again too. :D Were the plug points iffy????

More
13 years 7 months ago #236771 by Gracelands
Maybe the plug had half come out? Otherwise I think I'd be booking in the sparky for a look at your electrics. Better to be safe than sorry. I had bedroom power points that used to go on and off, and eventually the sparky found a half-eaten wire in the roof... The cats have permanent access to the roof in my house now.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
13 years 7 months ago #236773 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Microwaves.....worth fixing?
Could be a bit of corrosion on the power point...unplugging and replugging it might have worked it clean.

odd through that the light had stopped and is now working again??

Anyway I don't know much about microwaves but when I met my partner years ago, it just happened that my microwave had just died... he opened up the back (easily done!) and show me that there was a fuse there.....SO, thats an easy thing to check when your microwave dies. It would be cheap to replace yourself. Anything else and I'd say you have a perfect excuse to upgrade. :)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
13 years 7 months ago #236788 by The Kats Place
I'd get the other point checked out by a sparky in case you do have faulty wiring, wouldn't want the house nurning down would you?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds