Looks like a new Government

More
13 years 9 months ago #236129 by MikeCollett
i am now expecitng to see yank nuclear warships in our waters soon
and that roger douglas is back...

I don't mind fishing in the rain, fish are already wet...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #236137 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Looks like a new Government
Roger Douglas is certainly not ruling himself out with the comments he's been making...depends how much Nats want Act support in future...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 9 months ago #236223 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Looks like a new Government
Well I'm delighted with the outcome being a National led Government. My mid 20's daughter told me yesterday that all their friends had voted National apart from one girl who has a baby.

I agree with Toni's comment that John Key made a point of saying how important the rural sector is to the economy and with Key an urban Aucklander and Bill English, rural Southland - that seems a good balance to me. I don't beleive for a moment that Key will go back on his word re Douglas. He will be given something - but it won't be in Caucus.

At this stage, National can't kick Kyoto to the kerb because depending on what the other big players do, it could hugely affect out trade situation with them. However, a subtle way of handling this is to stop being the driver and settle back into a wait and see mode. I suspect that is what they will do.

Mossrose (hi new member) made a good point that we are "pushed around by so much of what happens overseas". We are after all a tiny country with 4 million people. No reason not to strive to be one of the best (starting I hope with a big axe taken to all the Chinese and Japanese rubblish we import) but not enough clout to dictate to the rest of the world.

More
13 years 8 months ago #236392 by Llew
Replied by Llew on topic Looks like a new Government

But that only comes down to that I do not like their leaders way of jumping to conclusion of WP's doings before it was esatblished what had happened or not.

I agree, it was obvious Winston was lying & it was proved beyond doubt that Clark knew, you're right, she was wrong to support him and should have fired him straight away like she did Samuels, Benson-Pope et al. It's the only honourable way.

While there was no fraud, laws were broken (electoral donation declarations 3 years in a row) & parliament & the nation (and even Peter's colleagues in NZ 1st) were deliberately misled.

Thank goodness he's gone.

Labour support of Peters went a long way to costing them the election.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 8 months ago #236395 by Llew

I like WP, he has integrity and he is standing tall and he did a good work with the americans and Condolesa Rice!

Oh sorry, I misunderstood :)

I have to disagree I'm afraid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 8 months ago #236398 by Llew

At last NZ can move on without getting held up by little parties holding them hostage!!

This reminds me, there seems to be some mistake, I saw Rodney Hide on TV last night dissing John Key - it's obvious from his demeanour & demands that ACT got nearly 50% of the vote & not less than 5% (less than NZ 1st in fact).

I fear the little parties will be a problem for some time yet.

Key did say he wouldn't have Douglas in cabinet. So we will soon see if he sticks to that.

How about if he makes him minister outside of cabinet? EEK!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 8 months ago #236409 by hilldweller
He said last night he wouldn't do that either. Now whether that's what he meant to say I don't know.

hilldweller

More
13 years 8 months ago #236812 by Llew
I expect it is - and I think Hide's been given a talking to about who's boss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 8 months ago #236882 by Waitakere Redneck
I’m over the moon and have put a hold on my air ticket to Australia.
The icing on the cake was the ousting of Lyn Pillay & our electorate turning blue especially since she sponsored a bill which commandeered large tracts of private land (including our own) for the so called Waitakere Heritage Park – the ranges were protected in the first place so don’t be greedy!

More
13 years 8 months ago #237865 by scooter
Replied by scooter on topic Looks like a new Government
I shook hands with John Key at our local A&P show.
He was lovely. Just an everyday sort of guy.
He stepped forward and shook the hand of my teenage daughter, she had no idea who he was [:I] but was impressed once she realised.

Said to him he had to get in...or we would be moving to Australia :( . The OH had been threatening this move all the way up to the elections. He'd even been looking into jobs [:0]

Thank God we don't have to :)

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

• Toni - Northland
13 years 8 months ago #237970 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Looks like a new Government

scooter;214701 wrote: I shook hands with John Key at our local A&P show.
He was lovely. Just an everyday sort of guy.
He stepped forward and shook the hand of my teenage daughter, she had no idea who he was [:I] but was impressed once she realised.

Said to him he had to get in...or we would be moving to Australia :( . The OH had been threatening this move all the way up to the elections. He'd even been looking into jobs [:0]

Thank God we don't have to :)

Talkback radio was full of people saying the same thing and now they are ringing back to say they aren't going and are going to give this lot a go.
I just watched Key on the news and I think he looks more self assured now and quite 'the man'. He come across as very confident, which I didn't think showed at all in the run up to the election.

More
13 years 8 months ago #238017 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Looks like a new Government
I was so thrilled to see the appointment of Paula Bennett into the Key Cabinet. I don't know her but used to catch her on the Good Morning Show sitting next to a Labour guy (how embarassing I can't remember his name) who I believe did not get back into his job. I was sad to see that as he was brilliant new blood as well. The banter between these two was so genuine and what we have been dreaming about - the Left talking to the Right and finding common ground to joke about. I so admire Key for recognising a brilliant young woman and giving her a $20 million portfolio after three years in Government. A part Maori solo Mum at 17 who was on and off benefits, and here she is (I think they said shy of 40) in Cabinet. Brilliant! The way of the future - rewarding hard work and achievement.

More
13 years 8 months ago #238730 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Looks like a new Government
My dream is that some day, we get to vote individual people into parliment and no matter which party they come from, they all have to work constructively together, for the betterment of New Zealand. Am I too nieve? I guess I probably am. It'd be nice though. Wouldn't it?

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
13 years 8 months ago #238734 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Looks like a new Government

Inger;215625 wrote: My dream is that some day, we get to vote individual people into parliment and no matter which party they come from, they all have to work constructively together, for the betterment of New Zealand. Am I too nieve? I guess I probably am. It'd be nice though. Wouldn't it?

I agree.

More
13 years 8 months ago #238751 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Looks like a new Government
I'm following it with interest. Initially I was downhearted about Act's involvement, but Key's actions in involving the Maori party are intriguing. Shows a real break from the Brash years, and a possible sea change in National's attitudes to a lot of things. I will wait and see what they do.

And I didn't vote for Labour. Couldn't bring myself to, even holding my nose. I like a lot of what they've done, and my general political outlook matches theirs, but their election campaign was despicable. The sort of nasty, dirty personal attack politics that I sincerely hope are not used by any party ever again in NZ. They did not deserve to win from that campaign, and I hope they biff whoever though of it as a strategy. I want to see campaigns fought on issues, not dirt-digging. We're better than that here, aren't we?

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds