Inhaled chemical poisoning

More
13 years 7 months ago #15531 by Hintzashouse
Anyone here had experience with inhaled chemical poisoning particularly upholstery or fabric solvents & upholstery glue? if so, wondering how it displayed itself symptomwise and experiences with doctors and diagnosis.
thanks HH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #235866 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Inhaled chemical poisoning
I spent five years with a variety of non-specific, presumed adult-onset genetic caused symptoms which have gradually disappeared in the five years since I left the workplace where I was constantly exposed to a cocktail of chemicals which it would appear caused the problems.

No Doctors, despite knowing where I worked, ever questioned the possibility of my sensitivity to the chemicals with which I worked. Instead I was very effectively referred for all sorts of interesting investigations, none of which naturally exposed the cause. I found out how well the health system works in a number of areas, but it wasn't quite what I needed.

Symptoms I could discuss by pm or email, in preference to here. :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #235870 by xevbellringer
Formalin inhalation - acute symptoms : light-headedness, drunken kind of feeling followed by dizziness/staggering & nausea. Longer term symptoms : Body systems such as menstrual cycle stopped, hair & fingernails stop growing. Doctors said to avoid using these chemicals & had a "wait & see" for symptoms to subside.

More
13 years 7 months ago #235884 by hilldweller
Are you OK HH?

hilldweller

More
13 years 7 months ago #235892 by Hintzashouse
Fine HD (thanks for asking tho- )- its a friends husband
Isla if you would like to PM me with your experiences that would be helpful thanks HH

More
13 years 7 months ago #235911 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Inhaled chemical poisoning
Hi HH,

pain in chest area mainly, subsiding a few hours after exposure. Once I went to see a doc because I also coughed up blood. Doc rang manufacturer (I had to leave the room) and was told what chemicals are in it. Doc was not allowed to tell me what chemical most likely caused the symptoms - commercially sensitive info I was told. This product has since been withdrawn because I obviously wasn't the only one experiencing symptoms.

More
13 years 7 months ago #235912 by Hintzashouse
Thanks Isla, xev, simkin. Isla, i've emailed you.
HH

More
13 years 7 months ago #236072 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Inhaled chemical poisoning
This is from a free leaflet on solvents from the UK's Health and Safety Executive:

The main effects of solvents are irritation of the skin, eyes and lungs, headache, nausea, dizziness and lightheadedness. Exposure can impair co-ordination and this can make people more prone to accidents such as falling off ladders. People may lose concentration on important or difficult tasks and they may react more slowly to dangerous situations. The effect can vary from person to person and will generally be made worse by drinking alcohol.
Very high exposures can cause unconsciousness and even death, for instance where adhesives are used in unventilated confined spaces or where there are serious spillages. Other possible effects on health vary according to which solvent people are exposed to.

(copied from HSE Construction Informaiton Sheet No 27)

It really depends on the product that the person is using. If you give me the name of the product, I may be able to track down a material safety data sheet, which will give all sorts of handy dandy information. (I write about occupational health and safety for a living, been doing it since 1990).

Generally, there is a very poor focus by doctors in NZ about whether or not ill health is work-related, yet it makes a difference about whether or not you can claim ACC on a gradual process claim (for work-related exposures). The powers that be are apparently trying to improve matters, though progress seems to be slow.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 7 months ago #236131 by Hintzashouse
Thanks seaside, I've pm'd you as well.
HH

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds