More fun with The Big T: our landline saga continues

More
13 years 7 months ago #15414 by reggit
We are still waiting for our landline (and broadband) connection, due 6-7 November.

Today the neighbour comes over to advise that someone had been in with a ditch witch and what sounded like a thruster, both from a big truck. Sure enough, caterpillar tracks up our drive and across my nice long grass :( and the area around where the telecom cabling had finished, waiting for connection, had been filled in.

BUT the green pipe that I thought was the telecom conduit containing the wires is still sticking up above ground with tape over the top...? :confused:

So I trundle down to the mailbox expecting a courtesy card to say they had been and what they had been doing.

Nothing.

At which point I started to get grumpy. No one had called us first before bringing machinery onto our property, if I had done what I wanted to this morning the sheep and lambs would have been in that area, and no note to say that they'd been.

Okay, so I phone telecom, and get their damn silly recorded messages to work through.

The lady who finally answers is unable to locate our file in their computer using my name or hubby's name. Finally finds it through address.

No updates since I last called 20 October. No idea of who had been.

So get off phone and try to call Chorus, their subsidiary that seems to do all the on-site stuff. Chorus is not listed in the phone book.

Find an 0800 for 'check before you dig' with Chorus logo next to it. Get a message that 'the cellphone you have called is unavailable...? :confused:

Is this or is this not a telecommunications company, FFS??? [:(!]

Argh!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
13 years 7 months ago #234179 by maggies mum
Well they've only just progressed from smoke signals ya know! ;) It's like being in a 3rd world country sometimes!

More
13 years 7 months ago #234194 by DiDi
tigger - is there any way to get beyond the call centre to the Manager for your area?

I did a few years ago and he was gobsmacked at how hopeless our exchange services were and actually gave me a $200 credit to go out and buy a phone that did what I needed.

You somehow have to humanise the whole project - perhaps easier said than done. Actually, from, memory I got the guys name from searching the Company [}:)] and rang asking for him as if he knew me! It worked. :D

More
13 years 7 months ago #234262 by reggit
Finally someone tracked down what has happened. Apparently it was the Transfield guys who are contracted to Chorus who are actually part of Telecom :confused:.

Clear as mud? :rolleyes:

So we are all connected up at this end. No idea what is happening at the roadside where the capacity was an issue.

I asked the customer service person at Chorus to followup that the contractors had left no card to say they'd been and what for, and she said they never did. I said, the last one did, on a purpose printed card/form. She said that wasn't standard, must have been that particular contractor's personalised approach.

I said if that was the case, why did they have printed cards/forms for this then, if he was the only one who used them?

No answer to that one. [}:)]

Anyhoo, if we get billed for a ditch witch when there was only one square meter about a foot deep to fill, there will be trouble. And if we get billed for the trenching when they have already been paid by the subdivider for the cable they never put in...well, let's just see [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 7 months ago #234289 by beedee
Did ya know that when you get the automated answerphone of telecom that if you keep hitting the 0 button you get an operator pronto!!!!!!!

More
13 years 7 months ago #234319 by reggit
I must try that beedee - my inclination is to go into a Tourettes-like tirade of swearing...[}:)]

More
13 years 7 months ago #234332 by Kilmoon
I've noticed swearing while 'answering' theri automated system also gets a person...quite calming as well!

More
13 years 7 months ago #234367 by DiDi
Heh heh - I used to use a two worded very rude expression and get through straight away. Have sometimes wondered if the person you then talk to knows exactly what you said?

However - joy of joys - I no longer have anything to do with Telecom.

More
13 years 7 months ago #234388 by max2
Tigger we had a landline connected with 24 hours of email request, however I am still operating on a mobile data card for broadband which I hope to change over temporarily this week..

In the shortterm though, knowing you are also on a mobile data card thingo, watch out if you leave the leads connected to it, despite signing off on the computer, I came home from school run earlier this week to find it had logged itself back on 30 minutes odd earlier and was signaling away without me searching for anything.

Each time now I disconnect and I also ran a adawear scan etc to find the usual crap on board....

More
13 years 7 months ago #237034 by reggit
Okay, we now have a landline - over a week later than promised. Phoned Telecom to check on the broadband. Oh, they say, its been connected at the same time. Get online and check that its working.

No, its not.

Call the techies. Oh, no, we've not finished that job yet, there is a fault (this time in the broadband, not the landline). If is not on by tomorrow, then call Telecom (not us) and request a broadband fault job request be issued [:(!]

Now, call me Ms Silly, but it seems to me that Telecom hasn't been putting the investment into ongoing growth and upgrading of infrastructure. Just my humble opinion from the problems that seem to be happening out there.

So still waiting, waiting...for somehting other than crap mobile broadband coverage. God help them if I get my broadband on the desktop and its as bad as what I am getting at the mo!!!! You'll hear Mt Tigger erupting wherever you live [}:)]

• maggies mum
13 years 7 months ago #237051 by maggies mum
OOer! Better batten down the hatches!

Do you turn green when you get angry!?? ;)

PS RE Automated calls, I found that saying TELECOM are CRAP worked too!

• Pergle's Wood
13 years 7 months ago #237131 by Pergle's Wood
Replied by Pergle's Wood on topic More fun with The Big T: our landline saga continues

tigger;213788 wrote: Call the techies. Oh, no, we've not finished that job yet, there is a fault (this time in the broadband, not the landline). If is not on by tomorrow, then call Telecom (not us) and request a broadband fault job request be issued [:(!]

Now, call me Ms Silly, but it seems to me that Telecom hasn't been putting the investment into ongoing growth and upgrading of infrastructure. Just my humble opinion from the problems that seem to be happening out there.

Seems strange to me that YOU need to notify them of a fault that is on a service you havn't even received yet....

And as for lack of infrastructure investment, just don't start me.[:(!]

More
13 years 7 months ago #237200 by reggit
Well our broadband internet is working now, some confusion over the cabling that wyseyes kindly sorted out for me [:I] and now I am getting 2800kbps and 580kbps :D - compared to 80 and 56 on mobile broadband [:(!]

I can recieve emails now through broadband too but not send them, its giving me some message about 'outgoing SMTP server does not support SSL secured connections'!!!!! Well, not sure what that means in plain English, but it used to send emails just fine with the way it was set up...

Any ideas? Or do I have to call the Phillipines or Egypt to sort this one out?

More
13 years 7 months ago #237211 by wyseyes
Problem solved. I blame Xtra. I know it was a minor setting on your email setup, but it's still more fun to blame Xtra.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 7 months ago #237251 by reggit
YAY! WE HAVE REAL BROADBAND, not that piddly mobile broadband. Amazing what a cheer that has put into my day. Thanks wyseyes. I am happy blaming Xtra/Telecom too. They are the ones who originally set it up at the last place :D

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds