Aw cr*p! This always happens when you have lots planned to do...

More
15 years 4 months ago #15304 by reggit
...pinged me back :(

Felt a bit achey this morning when I woke up, went to get some more pea straw from down the road, lifted one bale to put it in the car and - argh! grabbed!!!! [:0] Must have given the guy there a fright with me yelping as he was very concerned.

Now gone from grabbing every now and then without warning to dull aching and pain down the front of my leg. Dammit!

Drugs taken, battled to finish the last tree surround so that the sheep can be let into the rest of the orchard, but now have given up and am settling down for a cuppa and a read if I can get comfy.

And I had so much lined up to do! Grrrrr [:(!]

Grump, grump, grump...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
15 years 4 months ago #232800 by maggies mum
I dunno a purple eye and now a bad back! One more thing yet to come, it always happens in threes! :D

More
15 years 4 months ago #232802 by reggit
I suspect (she mutters darkly) that it's the contortions required to wash my hair under this hobbit height showerhead that has done the damage...[:(!] and here I was joking the other day that if either of us hurt our backs while building the shower would be a real issue!!

Grrr! A curse on the midget plumber who installed this! [}:)]:( May the fleas of a thousand camels, etc etc...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 4 months ago #232812 by Kiwi303
pull the head off and install one of those flex hose shower handsets :D and bill it to ACC since it's remedial action for your injured back :D

you can put the midget head on when the cabin goes back and set up the hose-y thing in your new ensuite :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 4 months ago #232814 by Ghilly
Keep moving Tigger! Don't stay in one position too long. A little gentle walk about every so often will help it heaps, if not, things will stiffen and tighten and make it even harder to move. It hurts like hell but if you can just manage to limp around the house or the portacom, it will stop things from seizing completely. Drugs, drugs and more drugs and heat!

If you can kneel on the floor and slowly arch your back using your stomach muscles and do it very gently, it will also help to release the muscles and soften them up a bit.

It's usually the stomach muscles that are the cause of a sore back because we all tend to use our backs to lift things.
I'm a great example of using my back too much and it's not usually evident that I've messed my back up until later.

If the weather is nasty, it may be a good time for Mr Tigger to massage the muscles in his hands with some deepheat or something... he can use your back to work his hands on... see, put it to him this way and he might see the benefit in a long massage followed by a small workout getting you a cup of tea and a wheat bag or hot water bottle.... he doesn't want the muscles in his hands to stiffen up after giving them a relaxing workout.

[;)]

Yakut

More
15 years 4 months ago #232819 by PRU2
Ooouch. Can totally relate tigger :( . Similar to Yakut's one, the exercise given to me was, On all fours, let your stomach drop slightly toward the ground then suck tummy in and raise slightly (you want a curve in the spine still) and hold, count to ten then relax and do ten times. You may want to only hold for a couple of seconds for the first couple of days. I have been naughty and must get back into those regular exercises again. I still think twice now when lifting, "suck in tummy hold then lift". Good luck.

And heat up a wheat bag and lie down or sit with it on your "sore spot".

More
15 years 4 months ago #232825 by reggit
I have no idea where the wheaties are! Must go look before I settle down again...cos have just been out helping drench the lambs (needs must) hubby did the tackling and lifting for weighing, I just did the syringing of the yucky stuff [xx(]

Will do some stretches as space here allows, and get a hotpack sorted...the drugs I have are (I think) the ones that take about two doses to kick in over 24 hours and then work well...

• maggies mum
15 years 4 months ago #232827 by maggies mum
If you were a bit closer you could have nipped round for a spa!

More
15 years 4 months ago #232837 by kate
You could nip up here for a spa....except it's empty so by the time we fill it and the water heats up your back will be better :p I do know where my wheatie is though if that helps?

BTW, the best stretch for your back (according to my osteopath) is to lie on your bed and hug your knees to your chest. Stay like that for two minutes... if you fall asleep doing it, start again [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
15 years 4 months ago #232841 by DiDi
tigger - sympathies with the "now I can't do what I wanted to do" part (and your back of course). I had a kick from a horse last weekend and ended up at a hand therapist on Thursday. Must have taken my thumb back at the speed of a racehorse kick start as I thought it was smashed! Tough me though as it is just the ligaments and muscles and bone bruised but ooooooh [:0] when it is moved the wrong way. I now have a dinky die "immobilizer that I have to wear to stop me using it! Easier said than done.

I'm with the others in that you want to keep going or you will seize. My daughter who is an aerobics instructor will agree with Yakut - Tighten your stomach muscles when bending to pick anything up - that's advise for all of you! :D

More
15 years 4 months ago #232843 by reggit
My back problems all go back to a close-to (according to doctor) ruptured disk a few years back that happened after I had an operation that left my stomach muscles very weak...was up a step ladder helping paint my parents place, tensed up as don't like ladders and that was that, by the time I came back down, my legs collapsed under me and that was that!

Have tried different things to strengthen them and is certainly better than it was, hardly ever pings now, but when it does its usually over something very silly [:(!] ah well, day in the car tomorrow won't help either...but at least I won't be trying to lift stuff!

More
15 years 4 months ago #232876 by Celtic_Kiwi
What a bugger !!!!!

Hope you feel better and are up and running around soon.

Celtic_Kiwi
AKA Nikki

Tir Na NOg

More
15 years 4 months ago #232951 by feedqueen
Can recommend Deep Ease, a horse cream put out by Bomac. Brilliant stuff never makes it out to the actual horses as we use it all the time on us.

More
15 years 4 months ago #233107 by Inger
Have you tried a massaging cushion Tigger? They're wonderful for pinched nerves and achy muscles. Guess you've done the bag of frozen peas thing? The brimmy cushion is the best though. Especially if you have to drive long distances. As long as you remember to take spare batteries with you, in case they run out.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds