Furniture - White Marks

More
13 years 8 months ago #15233 by Toast
I have white marks on various items of furniture; some from where rain has come in a window and some from where a wet item has been put down on the surface.

I heard on the radio how to remove these marks before applying whatever one normally uses on their furniture. However, was outside without pen/paper & have forgotten what it was.

A mail order catalogue has shown up in my letterbox and it has a product called Old Craftsmen's Brand White Ring Spot Remover. The label is very old fashioned looking and it states ½ oz. Price $10.90. Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #231909 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic Furniture - White Marks
never tried it but i swear by white viniger...we had blood all over my cream sofa....and i tried everything...and i remembered a program in the UK where they use nothing but white viniger on EVERYTHING so i tried it nad hey presto it worked and not a single mark...its worth a try..i just used hot water with a dash in...i have also used baking powder in hot water too for stains that works well too.
i found a site that you could look through to see if anything matches what you need.
www.vinegartips.com/cleaning/

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 8 months ago #232100 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Furniture - White Marks
Thanks. This is wooden furniture. I think vinegar would remove even more of the colour.

What do others think?

More
13 years 8 months ago #232256 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Furniture - White Marks
I wouldn't put vinegar on wooden stuff either. But I have heard that a piece of walnut rubbed on wood stains or discolouring will do the trick. Haven't tried it as I never think of it when I have walnuts around!

More
13 years 8 months ago #232322 by Sunflower
Replied by Sunflower on topic Furniture - White Marks
There is a product from Victoria Promotions, based in Auckland. I can order it for you if you like as I use there bee's wax furniture polishes.
I don't know how well it works, as normally I resurface tables that have that problem with a 2 pot Heat resistant so you can put hot/ wet things on the table with out a problem. If the table is not old the quality of the polish could be the problem, or if the table is old then the polish could be wearing out. Please don't be like the lady who used turps to remove some paint from her table[}:)] She certainly removed more than the paint!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
13 years 8 months ago #232323 by Sunflower
Also if the water damage is accidental and caused by a one off event, you could also place a claim with your insurance company.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
13 years 8 months ago #232356 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Furniture - White Marks
Thanks. This is several items of wooden furniture, eg oak bed with water marks where rain has come in a window, sideboard (other wood) with rain marks, kauri chest with wine glass mark & big round white mark from somebody putting down a serving dish with a wet cloth under it. I haven't used polish yet; I want to deal with the white marks first.

More
13 years 8 months ago #232508 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Furniture - White Marks
I think the point about the walnut is that the oil will recolour the stained area back to what it was.

More
13 years 8 months ago #232522 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Furniture - White Marks
Isn't there some theory about rubbing cigarette ash into wood to get rid of white marks?

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 8 months ago #232571 by Sunflower
On older furniture I have had some success using a brown bee's wax to remove the white stain, but this would only be on older furniture where the polish could benefit from a wax.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds