Air rifle and rabbits

More
13 years 8 months ago #15226 by kayjay
Air rifle and rabbits was created by kayjay
Is there an air rifle that will kill small rabbits at 10-12 meters? They come close to the house early in the morning. I understand you don't need a licence for an air rifle. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #231793 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Air rifle and rabbits
Hello, yes most 'adult' air rifles will indeed knock over rabbits at up to 50m. The most important thing would be to sight the scope (if using one) to 12m.
Please note that these are not BB guns, air soft guns or toys. Air rifles shoot formed lead pellets, and shoot up to 1000 feet-per-second. Please note that faster is not always better, a rifle shooting accurately at 800 fps will far outshoot one at 1000.
They come in two sizes of pellet - .177 (4.5mm) or .22 (5.5mm). The .22 ones are better for those with fumblefingers. Good quality pellets cost around $20 for 500.
Looking on TradeMe, there are many cheap air rifles, and all will do the job at that distance if you practise. Getting to know how to hold the rifle, and deal with the little recoil it has makes for better accuracy.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 8 months ago #231794 by wyseyes
Oh, and have a bit or a read through the information at www.nzairgunners.co.nz , there are lots of knowledgeable people in there, including what's good and bad in air rifles, methods and techniques for hunting rabbits. You might also find that there are members of the local air rifle club willing to come and teach you all the secrets, and help you do the deeds on the local rabbit population.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 8 months ago #231805 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Air rifle and rabbits
you do need a licence for an air rifle if you are under 18. but if you are over 18, not a problem.

I'm a powder burner rather than an air rifle-er, So that forum knows more on this subject than I do :D My advice teands to be get a .22lr rimfire and a licence :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Pergle's Wood
13 years 8 months ago #231840 by Pergle's Wood
Replied by Pergle's Wood on topic Air rifle and rabbits

Kiwi303;208045 wrote: you do need a licence for an air rifle if you are under 18. but if you are over 18, not a problem.

I'm a powder burner rather than an air rifle-er, So that forum knows more on this subject than I do :D My advice teands to be get a .22lr rimfire and a licence :D

You should try bunny bashing with a 270..... turns them inside out.[:0]

Your advice is good about the .22lr rimfire though. A nice bolt action with a scope and a silencer will despatch many bunnies.

More
13 years 8 months ago #231869 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Air rifle and rabbits
have you seen what happens when a .50BMG round meets a rabbit? inside out? how can you tell what was inside and what was outside? :D

I've used the .303 on hares and rabbits occasionally, the .22 got bashed and the scope shifted, so for the rest of the night we spotlighted with a rifle where the projectile was much larger and heavier than the entire .22 rounds of the usual rifle :D and every so often I go out with the .303 just to keep my eye in and stay accustomed tot he rifle and where it shoots. running rabbits is a good target practice method :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 8 months ago #231889 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Air rifle and rabbits
Well I find a beebee gun will kill at about 30-40 m .. Ive now shot 4 and all about that range.. would have hit and killed another 6 but it wasnt instant death, the last few have been in the head.. so Im pleased with myself since just 2 mths ago I didnt even know how one got the puff into them.. My vet is coming out with his armery [is that the term] and having lotsa fun, so with the cat and hopefully soon one puppy, we should soon have all under control

More
13 years 8 months ago #231905 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Air rifle and rabbits
It is extremely easy to get a license....sat my test last night (got 30/30 :D - beat the hubby who when he sat his over 20 years ago got 29/30). As I'm walking out I'm thinking 'its harder to get a drivers license' - very scary thought. What amazed me were a) the number of people going for a license and b) the number of young blokes who failed (God knows how as the questions were all very common sense type ones).

The chaps from the Mountain Safety Council were great...as one said, he knew more about guns than how to work the DVD player! - so a bit of amusement as everyone tried to get the machinery to work.

To get back on topic just remember that an air-rifle is just as lethal as a 'real' gun - so it is worthwhile doing the MSC course as a introduction to good safety practices.

More
13 years 8 months ago #231947 by wyseyes
Damn straight, I'm keen for everyone holding a 'gun' to have gone through the license procedure, simply for the safety aspects it teaches. Even for air rifles, which don't have the shooting range as powder-burners, the methods techniques and safety requirements are still the same.

More
13 years 8 months ago #232112 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Air rifle and rabbits

Kiwi303;208119 wrote: have you seen what happens when a .50BMG round meets a rabbit? inside out? how can you tell what was inside and what was outside? :D

My pump action 12 bore vapourises the little critters. You just get bits of fluff scattered around[}:)]

Ian (the OH) :)

• Jack
13 years 8 months ago #232114 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Air rifle and rabbits
Gidday

Although I am a .22 man, never underestimate the power of a new air rifle. To indicate what they can do, it was an air rifle that killed that cop a week or two ago. They can kill people so know what you are using.

• Pergle's Wood
13 years 8 months ago #232175 by Pergle's Wood
Replied by Pergle's Wood on topic Air rifle and rabbits

Jack;208382 wrote: Gidday

Although I am a .22 man, never underestimate the power of a new air rifle. To indicate what they can do, it was an air rifle that killed that cop a week or two ago. They can kill people so know what you are using.

Agreed, in Hunting and Fishing a few weeks ago they had a .50 calibre air gun that would kill large wildlife.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds