corn bread..can you still buy it?

More
13 years 8 months ago #15137 by Jan
I used to love corn bread but havent had it for years. Few weeks back i got the urge to have some, but do you think i could find any...nope zip zilch..not a bean :(

Do they not make it any more?

We have a bread maker and do make our own bread so i guess i will have to experiment and try to make my own .if i can find a receipe

Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #230630 by Jan
oops maybe this should have been posted in the cooks garden forum....

Jan

More
13 years 8 months ago #230636 by Ghilly
Do you mean bread with corn in it, or corn bread with corn meal and buttermilk in it?

I've got a recipe for the cornmeal and buttermilk cornbread.

Yakut

More
13 years 8 months ago #230644 by dinnaefash
I'd like that, Yakut! :p [;)]

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
13 years 8 months ago #230724 by jen
Cornbread as in the buttermilk cornmeal one is sooo easy to make jan, you wouldn't need the breadmaker at all, it mixes up much like a muffin recipe (ie: mix wet and dry ingredients and pour into a tin. You can also make them into muffins if you feel like it. They're lovely with a bit of strawberry jam or warm out of the oven with butter melting on them! Yum.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
13 years 8 months ago #230736 by NZ Appaloosas
Ahhh, one of my "pet" peeves in moving here, no more Jiffy boxes! (had someone bring me out some last June :D ) Here's an old 1942 recipe pre-mixes. The biggest problem I have with this one is finding cornmeal that is at the right grind.

Corn Bread Recipe

2 eggs. slightly beaten
1 & 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup melted shortening
1 & 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3/4 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Beat eggs and add milk and shortening. Sift remaining ingredients together,
add to egg mixture and beat well. Pour into greased shallow pan and bake in
hot oven (400 degrees F) until it shrinks from the sides of the pan, about
20 to 25 minutes. Serves 6

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 8 months ago #230753 by Ghilly
The recipe I have is from the 'Fried Green Tomatoes Cookbook' by Fannie Flagg. Recipes from the movie.... Ooooooohhhhh some are just SINFUL!!!!

The cornbread is eaten with Black eyed peas and gravy.... which is basically a sort of stew with a bacon hock and those wee white beans with black 'eye's on them.... I can't remember what we call them.... and a side serving of 'collered greens' Silver beet or spinach is more or less the same.

It also has a drippingly bad for you pumpkin pie and a banana cream pie, mississippi mud cake..... Ooooh and a wonderful barbeque sauce, two acutally but one was nicer then the other by a margin and I can't remember which one. Great on spare ribs.....

Any foodie who's interested should see if they can find a copy. I got mine from a bargain bin in the Royal Oak Mall in Auckland several years ago.

Just remember that when they refer to 'half and half' it is more or less the same as Carnation milk. There are a few ingredients we call by other names or have an alternative brand. Graham crackers are like Arrowroot biscuits.... used for bases in some pies.

The book is a cooking extravaganza of cholesterol loaded food but it tastes really good once in a while.

Yakut

More
13 years 8 months ago #230825 by Jan
Hmm im not sure if the bread with corn in it, or corn bread with corn meal and buttermilk in it..tts a yellow colour and tastes yummy

Still wonder why I cant find it at the shops...

Well I will try your receipe NZ appy

"A baking I will go..."
"A baking I will go..."
"eee I adeo a ..."
"A baking I will go...

So any one else willing to share their receipes [;)]

:D :D :D

Jan

More
13 years 8 months ago #230848 by Kiwismum
I use to make corn bread many moons ago and it was great. I can't remember which recipe I used, but there are tons of them around.

I dug out two to give you come choice and what to try them. Use the same cornmeal that you would use for polenta if you can find it.

175g cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
150ml yoghurt
2 tsp honey
2 Tblsp oil

Heat oven to 200c
Mix cornmeal with baking soda and salt
Beat egg and add yoghurt, honey and oil. Beat again
mix all ingredients together to make a soft dough
Put into tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until risen and firm to touch
Turn out on a cool rack to cool

Variations
Milk and baking powder can be used instead of yoghurt and baking soda. More eggs will give a lighter, richer more cake like mixture.

175 g cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 salt
200ml milk
1 egg well beaten.

Instructions are pretty much the same as the previous recipe.

Now I remember that I use to make my corn bread in muffin tins sometimes but you would need to adjust cooking times if you did this.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
13 years 8 months ago #230882 by drifter
I will post my recipe if I ever find it :)
But, Bin Inn has the best supply of different grades of corn meal.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 8 months ago #230937 by NZ Appaloosas
You must have a better Bin Inn, drifter (or a better shopper than my hubby when it comes to unfamiliar ingredients! LOL) I think he bought me too coarse a grind the time I made the above recipe--plus, I think our oven doesn't get hot enough, since it didn't turn out as well as the Jiffy mix someone brought over for me last year.

Jan, I would say you aren't finding it in the stores because they call it something else here--I've found it "nerve-wracking" trying to place familiar looking products with unfamiliar names, since I moved here.

Yakut, while spinach/silverbeet might cook up okay, using the same methods as doing collard greens, they're not the same thing. Collard is a loose-leafed cultivar of the same species that has broccoli and cauliflower. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens It's an acquired taste... LOL

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds