More Poms on their way to Pukekohe need some info!

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #1499 by maggies mum
My sisters friends have made a decision to come and live in NZ. The husband will be commuting into Auckland and they have got a place for the 2 daughters in a Pukekohe school.

I know some of you are in or around that area and I wondered whether you could just give me few thoughts on the area to pass onto them.

They will stay will us while they house hunt, it will give them a base to start from.

A big decision and lots to think about, so any information will be greatly received. Like we did they are heading off into the unknown but have the advantage of MM information services at her call!:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #60685 by GBpeter
They may like to join www.pure-kiwi.com/forums/index.php which is a useful forum

More
14 years 8 months ago #60688 by max2
MM as that is the general shopping area where I hang about, I would suggest initially that they delay any thought of purchasing a home, and to rent in the general area just to get a feel of it.

Pukekohe is such a diverse town now, its changed just in the 13 years I have been travelling back and forth. Won't even mention Hubby's thoughts on it in his 48 years of growing up/living in the general franklin region.

They may also get pushed into purchasing in an area by those (agents) who have a conflict of interest and trying to flog something that has been on the market for some time and the locals have stayed away from.
Personally if I were going to stay in Pukekohe and not some of the surrounding country area as we do, I would find a place in the Hill area to nest in for a while.:)

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #60690 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic More Poms on their way to Pukekohe need some info!
Thanks GBP, I'll pass that on to them.

I think the more info and advice you can gather all helps towards a smoother transition. We got a little info from BD's family here, but we pretty much had to do everything ourselves, so fairly in the dark really before we came.

But glad to say it worked out very well for us.

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #60693 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic More Poms on their way to Pukekohe need some info!
Ah thanks swaggie, I think thats probably the sort of info that is worth it's weight in gold.

Knowing where to settle in an area is always difficult, so many things to go wrong.

I've already said to avoid the car racing track area!

To be honest it's gonna be paradise compared the lovely town they are leaving behind! lol

More
14 years 8 months ago #60710 by reggit
Pukekohe is a nice little town centre, I was really surprised when I went up there as to how nice it actually was! I had this image in my head of petrolheads and bogans LOL! :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 8 months ago #60712 by DiDi
I too am a long time Franklin resident and what swaggie has said is right on the nail. This area is so diverse! Relating to the requirement for schooling in Pukekohe, historically it has been divided by school zones and still is when you see properties advertised in Hill School Zone as being preferable. With the enormous influx of new residents over the past few years, I wouldn't know if that is now outdated despite it (the advertising slant) still happening.

I have seen Pukekohe High School for example go through really bad times and brilliant times. We have Public Schools, Catholic Schools, Christian schools, Special Needs Schools and Private Schools. So, swaggie's advise to rent is in my opinion absolutely the correct one to give them. Time to look around and work it out.

There has also been a huge number of investers buying up property as it had been so much cheaper than central Auckland suburbs but with the economy tightening up, it is also on the cards that there will be some good buys coming up. Personal opinion.I know it took me 6 months (19 years ago) and looking at 31 properties before I bought my property and it must have been the right one because I still don't want to move!

From a Medical point of view, there is an A&E they can use until they find a doctor they want to go with. Plenty of Dentists and soon a Movie Theatre! Plenty of places to eat but doesn't score quite so highly when you want to go for a quiet drink after dinner! Oh well... can't have everything.

More
14 years 8 months ago #60717 by Gracelands
I've lived in the area my whole life, so I can probably advise. Franklin is a great area, nice countryside, close to Auckland. Puke is a nice town, and is going ahead in leaps and bounds, now that its a 'lifestyle' town, not just a farming district too close to Auckland.

I don't know much about Pukekohe/Tuakau/Waiuku, others should be able to help you there. The main things I can think of at the moment are to be aware of two big things that are coming in the near future. One is the new pylons, going through Maramarua, Mangatawhiri, and Hunua/Ararimu. I believe they're sticking quite close to the existing lines, but you would want to get detailed info on the proposed route before going ahead with a purchase in those areas.

The other thing to think about in Pokeno/Mangatawhiri/Maramarua is the proposed State Highway 2 bypasses. The Mangatawhiri one is currently underway, so easy to avoid, the Maramarua one is starting soon, so plans should be available, and I have it on very good authority that they will be announcing the route for the Pokeno to Mangatawhiri stage next year, so be very wary of buying in that area, in case you end up with a new motorway closer than you were expecting. It looks like the new one, which might not start for 10 years or so, is going to be to the South of the existing road. On the other hand, buying somewhere on the route of the existing road might be a good investment, as when the new road goes through, traffic will reduce dramatically.

ALso, be very wary of fog in Pokeno. It is very low-lying, trapped between the Hunua Ranges, the Waikato River, and the Whangamarino spamp, wetland, so fog can come down and stay down for days in winter. One of my more vivid childhood memories. [|)]

I know all this sounds very negative, but it really is a good place to live and work [8D]

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #60720 by maggies mum
All great folks thanks, rental is a very good option, we rented before we found our first place.

I think the plan is, it could all change of course, that when they first arrive they will come to us, as a stop gap so to speak. Somewhere to start out from. Whether they opt to rent or manage to find a place will be their call.

But armed with as much info as possible hopefully makes for a good decision, for them.

Seems they have a good range of schools Didi, I'm not sure which one they have got their girls into though.

I've asked her to ring me, it's very hard to get all the info via e-mail. I need to know a bit more before I can be of any use to them!

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #60721 by maggies mum
I think I might just e-mail her the link to this thread! ;)

All good stuff folks. Thanks

More
14 years 8 months ago #60777 by Gracelands
Are they thinking of a LSB, MM or a house in town?

Tell them to fire their questions through, and we'll do our best to answer them. Sometimes its hard to know what people want to know - things you take for granted EVERYONE knows, 'cos you've always known them. If you know what I mean ;)

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #60778 by maggies mum
You're a star Gracelands, I'll do that.

More
14 years 8 months ago #60787 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by maggies mum

I've already said to avoid the car racing track area!

AFAIK the V8 Supercars has been held for the final time at Pukekohe.

The motor racing circuit was needing a major upgrade and apparently the Horse Racing fraternity decided enough was enough and wanted their land back.

At least that's the story as I understand it. I'm not sure if this means a complete end to motor racing at Puke, or if it just means that only smaller scale events will continue to be held. Either way, it probably means an end to those choked-up roads during the summer motor racing season.

Someone else may have further info. to add to the above.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

• maggies mum
14 years 8 months ago #60788 by maggies mum
Ah ok, so that might not be an issue then. Be interesting to hear any update on that.

More
14 years 8 months ago #60812 by max2
Wow Didi, a picture theatre in Pukekohe, where? Fancy that. Who's is it? How many screens?

Hubby used to horse ride to the one in Tuakau - years ago.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds