Job applications

More
13 years 8 months ago #14955 by eelcat
Job applications was created by eelcat
being a member of the unemployed part of NZ I have over the past several months applied for many jobs. I lectured at a University for 14 years finishing in March this year, am a registered teacher (secondary) so am qualified and experienced at teaching and adminstration. While I can accept not getting jobs I am not qualified for I am getting somewhat tired of being knocked back for jobs where I am eminently suitable. I am also highly unimpressed with the lack of professionalism or even competence of employment agencies that are advertising positions. Recently I applied for a position in Masterton as a numeracy and literacy tutor. I was replied to within an hour of my application being sent in, and an initial phone interview was made. I was then told that the person concerred would be coming down from Auckland (where the agency was) on or around 22 September and that they would make a time to see me for then. Silence after that. By about the middle of that week I emailed her asking if it was possible to give me a time/date for an interview as I needed to make plans to go to Wellington to sort out things to do with cleaning out our house etc. She replied a few days later saying that she was sorry but her plans had changed and that she would contact me shortly. Today I emailed her again to which her response was that someone else had been appointed. [:(!] Am I just being old fashioned in expecting better from the agency than this? It is difficult enough with no job, other than a few small contracts and some writing projects without this happening all too frequently. I'd be interested in others' experiences (or a job interview :D )

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #228304 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Job applications
Sorry you are having a runaround with agencies. But in my experience, that is about all you can expect. Having dealt with many agencies over the years, I find they tend to be just employees doing a job as well. They do not take you into account at all. They do things their way and that is that.
Dealing with firms directly tends to be a bit more personal, and they do deal with prospective employees a lot better. They do not have the agency mentality to hide behind and tend to be a bit more up front.

It is extremely hard work these days even getting to an interview stage, let alone getting the job you were keen on.

Good luck with your search.

More
13 years 8 months ago #228314 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Job applications
I have never been impressed with agencies...until a month ago...I take it its ok to praise services so I can wholeheartedly recommend Addeco In Hamilton. They were very professional and kept me informed every step of the way. I was very impressed by the presentation they put forward to the employer, which must have equally impressed the employer as I am now in a new job...the sort I've been looking for for over a year

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 8 months ago #228326 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Job applications
unfortunately more and more firms use agencies so it is hard to deal directly with the firm involved. In this particular case I suspect they lost my application when the job/case was passed to another person within the agency/firm, and now are covering up, by telling me that I am not qualified to teach maths/numeracy and that the government requires a tutor to be qualified (for a job in a private firm?). With a degree in maths, a teaching qualification, 19 years teaching experience and being currently registered as a teacher I think I am qualified. Certainly, having been told that I would be interviewed on a certain day makes me think that they thought I was?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 8 months ago #228329 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Job applications
HI eelcat, I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences with recruitment agencies.
I hail from 8 years worth of "selling people" for a living.
PM me if you would like, and I would be happy to help with your CV and application process if I can (not saying you need help of course).

Don't be disheartened in all agencies, as they are not built the same...

But there is ALOT of crap agencies out there....!

Sundays

More
13 years 8 months ago #228344 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Job applications

sundaysbest;204223 wrote: Don't be disheartened in all agencies, as they are not built the same...

But there is ALOT of crap agencies out there....!

I'm glad to hear that there are good agencies out there from someone who obviously knows :)

However, whenever I have used one as an employee looking for a job over the years, I have never been impressed at all. The opposite situation applied when as an employer I used an agency to hire staff. They were excellent to deal with.

So I think for employees, agencies are generally a waste of time, you are far better to deal directly unless you have someone helpful like Sundays on your case :p

The other thing that has been brought home to me in no uncertain terms, is how rare it is these days to even get a reply when you apply for a job on-line.

One of our sons and also our daughter have applied for many many jobs during the past year. Out of all those applications, less than 20% responded at all. In our son's case, he has been to one interview out of more than 30 jobs he applied for. And he probably only received 5 replies. Our daughter has been more fortunate in getting responses. Perhaps the people she is applying to are a better class of employer, I don't know what the difference is. She probably received responses in at least 50% of cases and has been to more than 5 interviews, 2 of them resulting in jobs :D

More
13 years 8 months ago #228421 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Job applications
What candidates *the potential employee* has to realise is that there could be hundreds of applicants for that one particular job...
And of course the client (employer) is going to get a bit more love... they are the ones who pay the bills...!!
Sometimes it's really hard being one person and piggy in the middle.
Sundays

• Toni - Northland
13 years 8 months ago #228505 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Job applications
Dealing directly with the firms themselves doesn't give you anymore possiblity of getting a reply either. I recently drove past a housing company that had had a sign out for ages looking for someone. I drove in and the man said the boss would ring me the next day for an interview. He never rang, I sat by the phone and also gave him my mobile. That job was still advertised for about a month after that.[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

Last year I applied for another job. The man was very nice on the phone,said come over for an interview. As soon as I walked in the shop he took one look and said, "Oh it's okay, we will give you a ring" I never even got the interview. It was a sports type shop and I wasn't the 'image' he was looking for.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds