Help! Mobile broadband, internet working, but can't send emails...

More
13 years 9 months ago #14892 by reggit
Spent about an hour last night getting mobile broadband working, including half an hour on the phone getting pushed from pillar to post at a particular company until finally got it activated.

Now the internet will work fine, but I can't get emails to send. It took me an age to find the 'send now' icon to put into the toolbar as the thing didn't automatically show up...but it still won't send the email.

Any ideas? :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #227488 by kate
Are you using Outlook Express or webmail or.....????????

Web Goddess

More
13 years 9 months ago #227489 by GrantK
Hi Tigger,

This is a common problem when using Mobile Broadband. In order to help, I need to know which Internet Provider you use at home?

Also, do you have a Gmail (Google Mail) account?

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 9 months ago #227490 by reggit
Microsoft outlook...telecom.

I haven't tried accessing my emails via the Xtra/Yahoo site but imagine won't be a problem. But that doesn't help me clear my emails from their box to mine which is what I will be needing to do...

No GMail account...

So does it work from the same email address as my home computer then?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 9 months ago #227492 by GrantK

tigger;203309 wrote: Microsoft outlook...telecom.

So, Xtra will be your ISP presumably?

tigger;203309 wrote: No GMail account...

That's a pity because it makes things much easier.

tigger;203309 wrote: So does it work from the same email address as my home computer then?

More or less, but you need to use Authentication for Xtra's SMTP server.

Kate may know the settings off the top of her head, but I'll have a hunt on Xtra's web site in case she doesn't.

More
13 years 9 months ago #227493 by GrantK
Have a look on this web page Tigger, especially Items 18 - 29:

telecom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/telecom.cfg...ew=1&p_prods=191,543

That should sort it for you :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #227495 by reggit
Jut had a look on laptop Outlook, no email accounts set up - do I set these up the same as the home computer?

I have found the authentication instructions, but it requires (I think) that the above be done first...?

Arghggh! :(

More
13 years 9 months ago #227497 by reggit
YAY I DID IT ALL ON MY OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Without being overly optomistic, I have just sent PG an email and awaiting confirmation it's arrived okay.

Fingers crossed...:rolleyes:

More
13 years 9 months ago #227498 by GrantK

tigger;203314 wrote: Jut had a look on laptop Outlook, no email accounts set up - do I set these up the same as the home computer?

Hmmm, this is where it gets tricky Tigger...

Here's the thing:

- If you use the same e-mail account as your home computer, you will end up with some received messages on your Laptop and some on your Home PC

- And then, there is the question of where the Sent Messages end up i.e. on your Laptop if you sent them from there, or on your Home PC if you sent them from there

- For this reason, I no longer use POP3 protocol but have switched to IMAP as it allows you to store your Inbox, Sent Messages, Deleted Items and Drafts on your ISP's Mail server

- Every month or two, I archive the older messages back onto the Hard Disk at my Home PC, but by using IMAP I always have the last month or two worth of e-mails on a Mail Server, which is accessible from anywhere in the world

Is this the kind of setup you would like, or are you happy to use different e-mail accounts for your Laptop and Home PC?

More
13 years 9 months ago #227499 by reggit
Thanks Grant, I think I understand that!

At the moment, I won't be using the laptop for emails until the broadband here at home is cut off. So will only have one computer working (laptop) for emails anyway.

When the broadband is connected at the new place, I'd like to be able to separate emails as you describe, but I can leave that to worry about then...it will be a few weeks away yet, and us technophobes can only handle so much shock of the new at one time [;)]

So look forward to future emails on this.

On an aside, Telecom is connecting our phone at the block on Saturday. Once that is in, I assume that I just take my D-link box from here in town and connect it up out there and once they've advised the broadband is all set up, I can go for it?

More
13 years 9 months ago #227505 by GrantK

tigger;203318 wrote: At the moment, I won't be using the laptop for emails until the broadband here at home is cut off. So will only have one computer working (laptop) for emails anyway.

OK, that makes things much easier :)

tigger;203318 wrote: When the broadband is connected at the new place, I'd like to be able to separate emails as you describe, but I can leave that to worry about then...it will be a few weeks away yet, and us technophobes can only handle so much shock of the new at one time [;)]

So look forward to future emails on this.

Sounds like a good idea, I can sort out IMAP with you later.

tigger;203318 wrote: On an aside, Telecom is connecting our phone at the block on Saturday. Once that is in, I assume that I just take my D-link box from here in town and connect it up out there and once they've advised the broadband is all set up, I can go for it?

Yep, you shouldn't need to make any changes since you are staying with Xtra.

Just make sure you have filters connected to any Phones/Fax Machines/Sky Decoders. Your D-Link Modem should be the only device which is connected directly to the phone line.

More
13 years 9 months ago #227507 by reggit

GrantK;203324 wrote: Just make sure you have filters connected to any Phones/Fax Machines/Sky Decoders. Your D-Link Modem should be the only device which is connected directly to the phone line.

Thanks for the reminder :) had forgotten all about them.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds