Gun advice needed

More
15 years 5 months ago #227364 by simon@sue
Replied by simon@sue on topic Gun advice needed
We looked at the air rifle option but i'm used to 22's and have a bit more confidence in their accuracy over distance. One of the local gun shops in penrose has a deal on the norinco plus scope and bag for $299 which seems a reasonable offer.

4 acres with Garage/sleepout, a pond with ducks and frogs, lots of trees ready to burst into life in spring and lots of garden beds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #227365 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Gun advice needed
That is a good price!
Sundays

More
15 years 5 months ago #227372 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Gun advice needed

simon@sue;203163 wrote: We looked at the air rifle option but i'm used to 22's and have a bit more confidence in their accuracy over distance. One of the local gun shops in penrose has a deal on the norinco plus scope and bag for $299 which seems a reasonable offer.

My .22 air rifle looks and feels like a rimfire, but a lot quieter.

Yep, sure sounds like a good price. Remember that you get what you pay for.

If you're after a decent range, then the scope they give you on the $300 model will be low magnification, cheap and nasty. Most likely a 4x magnification. (It will seem that you are standing 4 times closer to the target). The lens size will probably be 32mm
Most average binoculars are 8x, wouldn't you prefer at least 8x? The next scope you can get is 3-9x, adjustable. And the lens size can be 32, 40 or above. The larger the lens is, the more light is available to your eye, and the clearer the target will be.

Make sure the rifle barrel is pre-threaded, to take the sound suppressor. I know an engineer or two who can make you a suppressor for it, which will take the snap out of each shot.

Look carefully as to whether bolt action or semi-automatic suits you. Also whether the rifle suits you. Hold it sight it, get a good feeling for what it will be like to use. Is the stock the right length for you? Is the balance OK, not too heavy overall, not too barrel heavy?

You'll also have to look at buying ammo, most likely hollow point sub-sonic hunting rimfire rounds, most shops have lots. Then invest in a good cleaning kit with a pull through, cleaning solvent, cloth patches, and gun oil.
Then a gun safe or lockable gun rack, or look at adding a strong lock to an existing cupboard. Part of obtaining a FAL is that the police firearms officer must view and verify your storage of firearms BEFORE you even get a firearm.

Sorry if I'm adding complexities to picking a simple rifle, there's no such thing as a simple rifle.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 5 months ago #227377 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Gun advice needed
the JW15 with a little work os capable of 1" groups at 100M. generally as off-the-shelf they do no worse than 3" at 100M. given most rabbit shooting is 50M or so, and possums are 20M up the tree, thats perfectly alright for a rabbit gun.

I wouldn't use more than a 4x on a .22, the bigger the magnification, the smaller the field of view and less movement needed to move the bunny out of the sight picture, and the harder it is for a newbie to get it into the sight picture in the first place.

I use 4x32 scopes on ALL my rifles, even for shots up to 200M on the centrefires. 4x is more than enough, in fact if I was to get a nice .22 like the CZ 452, ($800+) I would be fitting a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 scope or a 1.75-6x32. Notice both are well under the 8x magnification.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 5 months ago #227398 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Gun advice needed
You are scary you lot! Kim? I have bunnies galore and possums that strip my fruit trees. Interested? I do not shoot animals. Not because I am "soft" but because through lack of experience, I would not want to wing them and send them off to a slow fly blown death.

I have to get the ex to take his .22 away that my brother who ran a clay bird shooting range (knows guns) bought him for his birthday. Hardly been used - silencer etc. Anyone interested and I will see if he still wants it. Not likely.

More
15 years 5 months ago #227429 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Gun advice needed
Didi, I was very proud of myself to pick up the SIL's little gun and shoot my first bunny and over the 60 age bracket.. and that was with me never really knowing even which way to hold it.
The vet came out the other day and had a collection of guns he was using, I wanted to laugh and thought he and K303 would have a bit conversation going.. showed me one of his that he thought ideal for me and when I held it, it seems I had some how shot my two wabbits very incorrectly.. his children giggled in the background..
Oh well
I can only improve.. I do know that there is a wabbit with a pellet in its backside, but feel the single pellet will either hit or not, so less likely for that slow death scenario

More
15 years 5 months ago #227433 by simon@sue

DiDi;203199 wrote: You are scary you lot! Kim? I have bunnies galore and possums that strip my fruit trees. Interested? I do not shoot animals. Not because I am "soft" but because through lack of experience, I would not want to wing them and send them off to a slow fly blown death.

I have to get the ex to take his .22 away that my brother who ran a clay bird shooting range (knows guns) bought him for his birthday. Hardly been used - silencer etc. Anyone interested and I will see if he still wants it. Not likely.

Hi Didi well if he does want to seel it i will be in the market for one in two or three weeks when the license is through so feel free to message me.

Cheers
Simon

4 acres with Garage/sleepout, a pond with ducks and frogs, lots of trees ready to burst into life in spring and lots of garden beds.

More
15 years 5 months ago #227435 by simon@sue
Sorry if I'm adding complexities to picking a simple rifle, there's no such thing as a simple rifle.[/quote]

:) Its ok i can handle the details :) many years ago i used to do quite a bit of possum and rabbit shooting when i lived in country towns i'm just out of touch with the knowledge of whats good and bad these days. I had 22's in the past which i guess is why i lean that way now. Used to make good money out of possum fur in the old days......... but tell that to the youth of today and will they believe you? :)

More
15 years 5 months ago #227438 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Gun advice needed
Plucked Possum fur from the back and legs (20mm long) is worth $105 per kilo. That is 30 large, or about 45 average possums.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 5 months ago #227570 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Gun advice needed

DiDi;203199 wrote: I do not shoot animals. Not because I am "soft" but because through lack of experience, I would not want to wing them and send them off to a slow fly blown death.

Same, DiDi--except my reluctance is from experience, the experience of being at the wrong end of a gun. We left Iran in December, 1978...

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 5 months ago #227697 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Gun advice needed

wyseyes;203245 wrote: Plucked Possum fur from the back and legs (20mm long) is worth $105 per kilo. That is 30 large, or about 45 average possums.

We saw that too wyseyes... Mr Man just got made redundant and he was thinking about it -
I read the Straight Furrow last night and there is some ad in sits wanted for a 40ha block - anywhere is NZ for free possum control...! Imagine how many possys there would be on 40ha!

Sundays

PS Simon/Sue - I saw that same Norinco for $220 down at Gun City (or their equiv) in Glenfield, North Shore just yesterday)... they had it for $219 plain, no scope, no bag - nothing.

More
15 years 5 months ago #228070 by poaka
Replied by poaka on topic Gun advice needed
I agree with Kiwi303 ..50m is your kill zone for the trajectory of a .22LR subsonic cartridge. I am used to imperial so for a vital (kill )zone of a 1 inch circle than the rifle should be zeroed at 52 yds ..at 35 yds it enters the top of the circle and circle bottom at 57 yards. At 100 yds the bullet is 7inches low. You would have to be Davy Crocket or Wild Bill Hickock to hit a running bunny at a 100 yds....it's 4 foot lead !! :)

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds