How to get rid of stale smoke smell

More
15 years 5 months ago #14829 by Dream Weaver
Ok thinking caps on. Our youngest daughter has just got a newer car. she has saved and worked very hard for and with the help of the lovely man in her life has managed to get an updated car. Not new its a 96 but she is stoked.
Only thing she doesn't like is that it has obviously at some stage belonged to a smoker and you can smell it in the car abit ( I can't smell it like she can, but I am a smoker and she is anal about smoking lol) Any suggestions on how she could get rid of the stale smoke smell??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #226697 by wyseyes
First get in there and remove the ashtray, and the steel liner that is above the ashtray.
Soak that in floral and citrus cleaner for at least 4 days, scrubbing away the brown tarnish that contains all the odours. This will cut down a lot of the source.

As for the upholstery, air conditioning, carpets etc, that smell will continue to leech until the car is trashed. Especially on hot days.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 5 months ago #226701 by Ghilly
Ha, I was going to suggest lighting up another so the stale becomes fresh?
Obviously not. I can only think that using a vax or something on the seats if they are cloth or a nice smelling cleaner in a bucket of water and give the seats a good wash. Carpets too, with the vax.... and one of those smelly things you put in cars......

Mum gave us a little packet of smelly things for the car and we noticed how much more the smell came out if the car had been shut up in the sun for a while.

I can only suggest a total valet on the thing. Roof, floor, windows, every surface, then either stick and incense safely inside it and close it up, even scatter the incense ash about, keep a packet of incense in the car or even several of the same smell, stashed here and there.

Like you, I can't smell the smoke in our vehicles but I can't drive and smoke unless I have the drivers window open a crack.... well I can but I prefer to have it open a centimetre or so....

Has she tried one of those OUST cans or something similar.... what's that vacuum cleaner one for carpets? Shake and Vac or something? Some of them smell like public toilets though, I prefer incense... even just a little box of cones can make a big difference. I've lost the box I had. I think it's Patchouli I have a few half burnt cones but I'm blowed if I can remember where I put the box of them. The one I didn't lose is not as nice as it smelled through the box when I bought them both. Trust me to put the one I liked 'Somewhere SAFE!!!!' :rolleyes:

Yep, I'd opt for a total wipe out, a possible vaxing of the fabric surfaces and a large stash of incense. Leave the car in the sun with the windows up for an hour or four and see what happens.... other than that, open all the windows and go for a long drive.

Yakut

More
15 years 5 months ago #226705 by max2
I would also 2nd Yakut's post of getting the interior thoroughly dry cleaned.
In the meanwhile try to avoid parking it in hot places and leave the windows fully open if its garaged of a night, or open a crack if outdoors and if the sky looks clear.

What about a bucket of water sitting on the seats whilst the vehicle is parked up? I recall that was a suggestion given to us to remove the natural gas smell from our unflued gas heater... the water might absorb some of the smoke smell too?

More
15 years 5 months ago #226708 by Pumpkingirl
After a 6 month holiday overseas, my boss came back to find her work car had been thoroughly smoked out by her replacement. He had paid hundreds to have the car steam cleaned (twice!) but she could still smell it as soon as she opened the door.

Turns out the smoke leaves a film on the inside of the air vents, so when you turn them on, you get that stale smell of smoke no matter how clean the interior is.

So along with the other good suggestions, I'd also be spraying some kind of misty cleaner down the air vents too. My car was obviously owned by a smoker, but I only get the smell when it has been locked up in a sunny spot.

More
15 years 5 months ago #226709 by DiDi
I heard on telly the other day to cut an apple in half and put it in the car for a few hours. Hell if it can take out cat pee smell, why not tobacco? Worth a try?

More
15 years 5 months ago #226713 by devan
Fabreeze spray...its blardy marvellous. Can be sprayed onto upholstery etc without damaging fabric and neutralises smells including smoke. Not expensive, get it from the supermarket :)

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 5 months ago #226714 by Dream Weaver
Brilliant suggestions and thank you all so much. i will tell DD when i see her tonight. she is a funny wee thing HATES smoke. Her partner is a very light smoker as in only has 1/2 a day, she reckons his car smells of smoke and hates it when she has to drive it lol

More
15 years 5 months ago #226724 by bev
For a minute there Smilie, i thought you had given up.
Dont worry me like that!!

More
15 years 5 months ago #226725 by Dream Weaver

bev;202466 wrote: For a minute there Smilie, i thought you had given up.
Dont worry me like that!!

Ha ha its not for the want of trying. I really do want to stop, costs shit loads and I really wish I hadn't ever begun. But as yet i haven't done it. Its on my to do list lmao :) Ole Mel HATES it. Andy was the only 1 of mine that went through a stage of smoking but hes a health nut now so all 4 of them and alan of course are non smokersYou've been very quiet lately, what ya been up to? whens this wedding?????

More
15 years 5 months ago #226819 by Ronney
Smilie, I'm afraid your daughter will probably never get the smell out of the car to her satisfaction because it will be in the upholstery and unlike the curtains in a house, it can't be chucked in a washing machine.

I would suggest that if it really offends her she spends the money and gets the whole car valeted. My father used to smoke but gave up when he was in his late 40's. When he died I took over his car. At some stage somebody has smoked in it judging by the smidgeon of ash in the ashtray. It's a Toyota Signature and has been valeted. I don't smoke in that car. Kevin gave up smoking over 10 years ago and can't smell anything in the car, nor can non-smoking passengers so that might be the way to go. I guess it might just be how sensitive a person is to the smell of smoke - but I prefer that to the smell of rancid butter which I had in another car.

As a smoker, I'm pleased to see that no goody-two-shoes have come on with the usual blurb - which doesn't mean to say I advocate smoking because I don't but none of us needs to be told by holier-than-thou's.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
15 years 5 months ago #226820 by beedee
If she doesnt like ciggy smoke then she probably wont like all the sprays to mask the stink either, swapping one stink for one greater.
there is a product put out by ecolab that absorbs the odours rather than masking.. sorry cant remember the name.
would not baking soda wash absorb most of the stench???
The imported car I bought had had smokers in it but the smell had gone, so I agree with pay out for a decent valet clean.

More
15 years 5 months ago #226849 by kate
Have you tried nilodor? I don't think it's the ecolab product but it's good at removing smells, not masking them.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

• maggies mum
15 years 5 months ago #226850 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic How to get rid of stale smoke smell
If none of them work smilie luv, I can send ya a peg! :D ;)

More
15 years 5 months ago #226914 by sod
Ronney Im an ex smoker and I find the way smokers are treated by Govt. etc. gets me angry ,if we treated crims the same way all hell would break out.:(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds