keboard caps lock language changed

More
15 years 5 months ago #14724 by max2
Sorry but I have been fiddling again....

Somehow whilst adjusting the overall language to aussie English, (I was downloading HP start up disc for a new printer I had to buy, got stuck with french directions, so fiddled until I got it back into English again) however when I go to do the 'at' symbol on top of 2, I get "

Same with the ' key if I do caps lock I get @ instead of ''.

How do I change it back please to how it was? I am too old and tired to relearn...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pergle's Wood
15 years 5 months ago #225572 by Pergle's Wood
Replied by Pergle's Wood on topic keboard caps lock language changed

swaggie;201181 wrote: Sorry but I have been fiddling again....

Somehow whilst adjusting the overall language to aussie English, (I was downloading HP start up disc for a new printer I had to buy, got stuck with french directions, so fiddled until I got it back into English again) however when I go to do the 'at' symbol on top of 2, I get "

How do I change it back please to how it was? I am too old and tired to relearn...

You've set your keyboard to English. That's english english, not any other flavour of english!

• Pergle's Wood
15 years 5 months ago #225579 by Pergle's Wood

swaggie;201181 wrote: Sorry but I have been fiddling again....

I think, having just tried it here, that you can cycle through the languages selected in control panel / keyboard, just by pressing left Alt + Shift

Lets see if it works:-

" was shift 2

Left Alt + Shift, and

@ was also shift 2

and back again

"

Whooppeeee, it works, I have my UK keyboard back again!

Now my keyboard has three possibilities set in control panel, so to go from shift 2 giving " through all the options and back again actually takes three lots of left Alt + shift.

"@@"@@" or the other key you had problems with does this @""@ as you cycle through the options.

When I was a lad (one or two moons ago) and PC's were DOS based, you could tell DOS to change keyboard settings just by a command line entry. Keybuk was use a UK keyboard, keybgr was use a german one, and so on. We would get onto another PC and change all the settings for people. Hours of fun and amusement in the office....... If we really didn't like people we'd re write the batch-files that the machine used to start up.... Oh, I was so popular!

More
15 years 5 months ago #225594 by Kiwi303
I remember playing with those dos startup files... reallocating the 640K base memory to other things :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Pergle's Wood
15 years 5 months ago #225621 by Pergle's Wood

Kiwi303;201206 wrote: I remember playing with those dos startup files... reallocating the 640K base memory to other things :D

Yes, rewriting someones config.sys or autoexec.bat file brings tears of mirth to my eyes.

Aaaahh, the days when they'd say "You'll NEVER need a hard drive bigger than 10Mb, and you want a what? A MOUSE!!! What's wrong with a keyboard....." I now have more RAM than the hard drives I used to use.

And we had REAL floppy disks that you need several of to store a decent database on, not like the hard shiney things they have now.

Of course, we were happy then when we had nowt.... (drifts off into four Yorkshiremen from Monty Python)

More
15 years 5 months ago #225623 by Kiwi303
it was the .ini files that I always had the best results buggering around with to get the best performance out of a 15Mhz 286 series processor with 2Mb RAM.

thats like .8% of the power of this computer and 1/64th the RAM! and this comp is 1/2 the speed of my laptop!

I started playing with Applesoft Basic on an Apple IIe with no HDD, only flash memory that was wiped on reset, and only 128Kb RAM.
A RAM card was twice the size of a modern PCI card, and ten times it's capacity would literally be held in a chip smaller than a match head these days.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds