Internet connection speeds...

More
13 years 9 months ago #14712 by kate
.....I just want to rant [xx(][xx(]

When I learnt that Orcon was taking over Xtra's wireless broadband I thought it couldn't get worse. I was wrong.

I have run the speed test at speedtest.net five times in the last few hours. The first showed a download speed of 364 kbps and an upload of.......1kbps 20 minutes later the download was 326kbps and the upload had rocketed up to 2kbps. I rebooted my laptop and modem and the next test showed 274kbps and 17kbps. Wow [}:)] Twenty minutes later again the download was 262kbps and the upload......well, after 30 minutes I gave up waiting for it to ascertain the upload speed [xx(][xx(] Just after 10pm it showed 276kbps and 3kbps.

Can anyone tell me why I'm paying $60+ a month for this service?

rant over
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225455 by Pumpkingirl
I don't know Kate. I'm sitting on 834kb download and 225 upload, it's quite nice.

You should move somewhere where you can get better internet :D

Helpful, aren't I :D

More
13 years 9 months ago #225472 by spoook
It's not any better overseas, so no need to go there [}:)]
Here's mine ......
File Attachment:

and moments later.....

File Attachment:

and I am on wireless.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 9 months ago #225476 by GrantK

Kate;201039 wrote: I have run the speed test at speedtest.net five times in the last few hours. The first showed a download speed of 364 kbps and an upload of.......1kbps 20 minutes later the download was 326kbps and the upload had rocketed up to 2kbps. I rebooted my laptop and modem and the next test showed 274kbps and 17kbps. Wow [}:)] Twenty minutes later again the download was 262kbps and the upload......well, after 30 minutes I gave up waiting for it to ascertain the upload speed [xx(][xx(] Just after 10pm it showed 276kbps and 3kbps.

There were some weird things going on last night with my connection too Kate. Speedtests to LA:

- 4:00pm -- 622k down / 27k up
- 4:15pm -- 867k down / 242k up
- 8:30pm -- 947k down / 206k up

At present I am connected directly into the Kordia backbone which provides wholesale bandwidth to other ISPs and on to the US. So, if I am experiencing issues there, everyone else will also.

One of the engineers at Kordia has connected me directly via their network on a temporary basis while I trial the speeds available, before switching to Netspeed next week. I have to say, the speed is simply awesome, far better than Xnet. On Thursday night I was streaming 2 YouTube videos at once (just because I can) to see if there was any buffering or other issues. Result: Both videos played perfectly without any buffering at all.

If you are interested to ditch Orcon, you are not alone. Many, many of their customers are experiencing issues with International Bandwidth in the evenings. If you wish, I can point you to a 60 Page Long thread full of complaints on Geekzone [xx(]

As I mentioned, next week I am switching to NetSpeed and part of the idea is to repeat the tests I have been doing, and see how they compare with Xnet and Kordia's own network. I will let you know the result. I hope it will be similar to what I'm getting at present, because 1Mbps download speed is absolutely brilliant for a wireless connection :D :D :D

If you want to switch to NetSpeed, there is no connection charge and no fixed contract because you already own the equipment. Given that you are going to be moving before too long, that is a definite plus :)

Have a look at these plans compared to your current 256k/128k/1GB $60 plan from Orcon:

- 256k down / 128k up / 2GB data $49.95 per month
- 512k down / 128k up / 2GB data $54.95 per month
- 512k down / 256k up / 2GB data $59.95 per month
- 1M down / 340k up / 2GB data $69.95 per month

The last one is what I'm going for. You can also get 5GB and 10GB data caps, but the price goes up $30 and $90 respectively. I've only exceeded 2GB slightly on one occasion, so I can live quite happily with the 2GB plan and keep the extra $30 per month in my pocket.

If you are interested, I can e-mail the Rate Card as a PDF to you, same as I have recently done for Swaggie.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 9 months ago #225481 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Internet connection speeds...
Hi
I just did the test and have 553 down and 134 up, I am with slingshot which I am very happy with. For $30 per month I get 25gig at 256/128kbps and tolls, I know this deal is no longer available but they have similar ones.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225482 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Internet connection speeds...
Thanks Grant that would be great....I have about 800 articles to get into a new content management system asap and asap is not easy right now!

Thanks to everyone for letting me see how much faster your speeds are...[}:)][}:)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 9 months ago #225494 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Internet connection speeds...

GrantK;201072 wrote: There were some weird things going on last night with my connection too Kate. Speedtests to LA:

- 4:00pm -- 622k down / 27k up
- 4:15pm -- 867k down / 242k up
- 8:30pm -- 947k down / 206k up

At present I am connected directly into the Kordia backbone which provides wholesale bandwidth to other ISPs and on to the US. So, if I am experiencing issues there, everyone else will also.

One of the engineers at Kordia has connected me directly via their network on a temporary basis while I trial the speeds available, before switching to Netspeed next week. I have to say, the speed is simply awesome, far better than Xnet. On Thursday night I was streaming 2 YouTube videos at once (just because I can) to see if there was any buffering or other issues. Result: Both videos played perfectly without any buffering at all.

If you are interested to ditch Orcon, you are not alone. Many, many of their customers are experiencing issues with International Bandwidth in the evenings. If you wish, I can point you to a 60 Page Long thread full of complaints on Geekzone [xx(]

As I mentioned, next week I am switching to NetSpeed and part of the idea is to repeat the tests I have been doing, and see how they compare with Xnet and Kordia's own network. I will let you know the result. I hope it will be similar to what I'm getting at present, because 1Mbps download speed is absolutely brilliant for a wireless connection :D :D :D

If you want to switch to NetSpeed, there is no connection charge and no fixed contract because you already own the equipment. Given that you are going to be moving before too long, that is a definite plus :)

Have a look at these plans compared to your current 256k/128k/1GB $60 plan from Orcon:

- 256k down / 128k up / 2GB data $49.95 per month
- 512k down / 128k up / 2GB data $54.95 per month
- 512k down / 256k up / 2GB data $59.95 per month
- 1M down / 340k up / 2GB data $69.95 per month

The last one is what I'm going for. You can also get 5GB and 10GB data caps, but the price goes up $30 and $90 respectively. I've only exceeded 2GB slightly on one occasion, so I can live quite happily with the 2GB plan and keep the extra $30 per month in my pocket.

If you are interested, I can e-mail the Rate Card as a PDF to you, same as I have recently done for Swaggie.

Yes, and I don't believe I thanked you for it either. So a belated thankyou for your email! :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #225559 by oskatd
Well, Kate your download speed is lightning fast compared to mine.... Which, on a good day, with the wind behind it, is marginally better than dial up.

Feel better? :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #225563 by kate
Hi oskad...it doesn't make me feel better, but I can sympathise. You have to wonder why we get such bad service if higher speeds are available...

Thanks for the information Grant, I'll contact them tomorrow :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 9 months ago #225581 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Internet connection speeds...
Kate,

I'm with Vodafone (originally ihug) on Broadband and I have just done two tests each on two sites. Speedtest.net showed 4271kbps download and 130 upload plus a ping of 144ms. Vodafone's own site showed 4221 kbps download and 130 upload... so must be fairly accurate. No way you can get Broadband?

I thought your upload speed was the least important but maybe not in your case but your figures seemed back to front in this regard. Techie problems at Orcon? No wonder you are so frustrated. You have my sympathy.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225589 by kate
DiDi....this IS broadband....I'm paying $69.95 a month for it :( :(

Web Goddess

More
13 years 9 months ago #225590 by GrantK

DiDi;201193 wrote: I'm with Vodafone (originally ihug) on Broadband and I have just done two tests each on two sites. Speedtest.net showed 4271kbps download and 130 upload plus a ping of 144ms. Vodafone's own site showed 4221 kbps download and 130 upload... so must be fairly accurate. No way you can get Broadband?

There is ADSL (wired) Broadband and there is Wireless Broadband DiDi.

You are lucky enough to be within range of the ADSL service which is faster and cheaper than wireless.

Kate and I are outside the range of this service and so we have to use wireless. It does have the benefit that nobody can dig up our phone cable and thus cut off our internet connection, however, 1MBps is as usually as good as it gets for download speed, and $60 to $80 is about what you have to pay for a decent amount of data.

DiDi;201193 wrote: I thought your upload speed was the least important but maybe not in your case but your figures seemed back to front in this regard.

Upload Speed is not so important for the average person who surfs the web, checks their e-mail and downloads the odd bit of music or video.

However, when you want to Send something, that is where your Upload Speed comes into play. Kate and I have suffered with 128kbps upload speed for several years now, and it is a real pain whenever you want to do one of these things:

- Send Large e-mail attachments
- Upload files by FTP
- Upload large amounts of data to anywhere else

I hope this explanation makes things clearer :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 9 months ago #225606 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Internet connection speeds...
You are right Grant - I am on ADSL. Sorry kate.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225673 by powerguy
Oh to be able to get broadband - any kind of broadband! I have to put up with a very slow dialup that generally downloads at between 2 and 3kB/s. You tube? - forget it! No bb options for me but then I live in a part of paradise that has other compensations :)

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
13 years 9 months ago #225679 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Internet connection speeds...
Grant Netspeed's techys are investigating the potential service level for our addresses (for those reading this inland from Port Waikato it might be of interest) and will get back to me. I shall report how it goes.

However I hope they do you a good deal with all these referrals you are giving them. I mentioned you by name too.[^]

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds