Computer backup question

More
13 years 9 months ago #14678 by Pumpkingirl
I have a new-fangled portable hard drive (500GB for $140!!!) and have done a full back-up on it.

I'd like to back-up again - Norton 360 reminds me each week - and I would like to know will Norton 360 just over-write the hard drive and recognise on its own what has changed and what has not?

Or do I have to delete everything on the hard drive and then ask it to backup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225006 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Computer backup question
That backing up thing is so over-rated [}:)] JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will usually overwrite files of the same name but it does depend on the software you're using to back up....if it's Norton then I think it will overwrite.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 9 months ago #225092 by Pumpkingirl
Thank you, oh wise one :D

And have you backed up yet Kate? Huh? Huh?!??!!??

More
13 years 9 months ago #225096 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Computer backup question
Sometimes it will ask if you want to overwrite existing files, it will show the names and dates so you can choose to, or not to.
With 500GB,[:0] who cares if it does duplicate , just delete the oldest when it get nearly full.
Er, note to self............ back up..... backup...........

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 9 months ago #225098 by Istrian
Replied by Istrian on topic Computer backup question
Beware! Nortons 360 may not be the best choice of backup software. You may be lulled into a false sense of security. Many people have experienced major problems with Nortons.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225100 by Pumpkingirl
Why is that Istrian? I thought a back up was just a copy of all the files? Is that not what Norton does?

More
13 years 9 months ago #225110 by Istrian
I think you will find that the backup files will be encrypted and therefore need Nortons to decrypt them back to their original file formats. Now Norton is also your anti virus software. Sometimes it happens that due to a virus attack Nortons may get corrupted. One could go on to very lengthy explanations as to the consequences. Suffice to say, that in my humble opinion, I have concerns with using antivirus software to also look after backups. May be very costly in the longrun.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225112 by Pumpkingirl
So how would I do it otherwise? I'm not very computer-savvy, so I have absolutely no idea how to do a full back-up. I could probably work out how to save my own personal images etc, but I really wanted the whole thing to be backed up.

My computer runs Vista, so I guess it has some way of backing up?

More
13 years 9 months ago #225113 by Pumpkingirl
Ok, Vista is now doing a back-up of all my files.

Have just discovered I should also have a back-up of Vista!!! Will do that too.

Thank you very much Istrian!

More
13 years 9 months ago #225117 by Istrian
For those that may be interested I have been using a program called Acronis True Image. You can read all about it at www.acronis.com What this does is it creates a "Image" of your C drive. It is preferable to create this rather large file on an external USB drive like the one you bought PG. The beauty is that if you need to call on your backup then it will restore the system exactly the way it was when the "Image" was created. This means that all your programs & settings are restored, I can tell you that it has saved my bacon on several occasions. Most backup software does a good job of backing p your files, but in the case of a REAL disaster then one is faced with a system reinstallation together with reinstalling/configuring all your programs. Acronis will do in a few minutes what would take hours or days in the normal way.

Anyway, I just thought this may be of interest to some of you.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225123 by Pumpkingirl
Wow, that sounds pretty good.

I've had one partial disaster, and earlier this year one TOTAL disaster and it was devastating. While some stuff was backed up, not all, hence the fancy schmancy hard drive I have now.

Ok. So I should probably stop the Vista back-up, and try this? Or do both?

More
13 years 9 months ago #225138 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer backup question

Pumpkingirl;200681 wrote: Wow, that sounds pretty good.

I've had one partial disaster, and earlier this year one TOTAL disaster and it was devastating. While some stuff was backed up, not all, hence the fancy schmancy hard drive I have now.

Ok. So I should probably stop the Vista back-up, and try this? Or do both?

Seeing as you are part-way through now, I would suggest letting the Vista backup run to completion, and then do the Acronis thing. It's always good to have more than one backup set.

I have two alternate sets of DVDs and use them one after the other. If I was starting out now, I would probably have 2 external hard drives and alternate between them.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225139 by Pumpkingirl
Thank you Grant :D Will do that.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225143 by Istrian
PG what I do is this. Once a month (or so) I use Acronis to back up my entire C drive. In between times still use Acronis but this time only to back up selected folders eg My Documents which is usually where all your music/documents/photos are. There is one other area - backing up emails. There are many utilities which automates the back ups of emails - the one that I have been using & find good and easy to use is called EZ eMail Backup - free for personal use from www.retinaxstudios.com
In the event of a major system faliure I can quickly restore my whole system from my last Acronis full "Image" which takes me back to where I was maybe up to 1 month ago & then I can restore the smaller backup files to get everything up to current.

Hope this makes some sense.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225151 by Pumpkingirl
Thanks Istrian, it does :D

That was actually one of the biggest bummers about my hard drive dying in February - I never thought to back up my email. I lost a few really important emails that I'll never get back and it was quite hard to accept they were gone. Fortunately all my work emails go through my work account, so at least I had those.

On the document side of things, because I work from home I back up them up every day, otherwise I lose a whole day's work - losing a whole month like I did in February was incredibly stressful!

After I lost everything, I thought about how losing one day meant I had lost a whole day - so why wasn't I doing it every day, instead of just once a month? It's just a pain in the butt to do this I guess.

Images I'm not so good on remembering to back-up, hence why I got the hard drive and why it's so handy that Norton reminds me every week - it's so easy.

However, you're right, it would be perfect to be able to just go to the last back-up and know I had everything I needed right there.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds