Broadband

More
15 years 9 months ago #14623 by Clods
Broadband was created by Clods
Am on Telecom,and its so slow! What are the other options out there? How can I tell what is the highest speed my telephone line will take?

My son wants me to switch to Slingshot, but I believe that you have to sign up for 12 months. And I wonder, if I try it and its no faster than Telecom, why bother?

What are my options - reusing our existing broadband modem thing from Telecom.

Thanks

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #224197 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Broadband
We have Telstra at home, and hubby seems to like it.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 9 months ago #224199 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Broadband
broad band wats that?

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
15 years 9 months ago #224209 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Broadband
Ive gone wireless cos of where I live and if the line was bad for slow speed then it would never have made it with BB either, cant fault the system so far, tho do note that at 8 am and 5 pm I drop down to 10.0Mbps instead of the 100 the rest of the day..
have been without ph line since sat, and theya re still fixing over 70 folk, so very pleased to have some communication.. finding the equipment need to go worldX or whatever for the ph is causing some hot calls.. and 3 wks later still not connected to say taa taa to the wire and pole system totally..

More
15 years 9 months ago #224223 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Broadband
We are with orcon ... they have some very reasonable deals and we are very happy with them:):):)
Nothing to do wiv daughter working for them for the last 5 or 6 years:)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
15 years 9 months ago #224237 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Broadband
Is there no broadband down there Kalnetta?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
15 years 9 months ago #224244 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Broadband

Clods;199667 wrote: Am on Telecom,and its so slow! What are the other options out there? How can I tell what is the highest speed my telephone line will take?

You need to Log In to your router (modem) and look at the Sync. Speeds.

If you open up your web browser and go to this address: 10.1.1.1

You should be able to log in to your modem. It may ask you for a User Name and Password, and they are probably set to admin and admin.

If it says Invalid Password or words to that effect, you will have to hunt for the manual which came with your modem, or failing that, call Telecom and talk to some person in Manilla -- good luck with that :p

Once you have got into the modem, look for Downstream and Upstream Sync. Speeds, Line Rates or words to that effect.

Downstream should be in the range 1000kbps to 8000kbps and Upstream in the range 160kbps to 900kbps.

If you can find numbers like those, post them back here and I will have a look.

Clods;199667 wrote: My son wants me to switch to Slingshot, but I believe that you have to sign up for 12 months. And I wonder, if I try it and its no faster than Telecom, why bother?

Most providers insist that you sign a contract with minimum 12-month term and Early Disconnection Fee etc, etc. However, there are 2 that don't:

- Xnet www.xnet.co.nz
- Orcon www.orcon.net.nz

They are both good companies, however, Xnet have a more flexible scheme where you only pay for the data you actually use. Orcon insist that you purchase Blocks of Data which you will probably not manage to completely use before month's end, at which point the unused data is lost.

Clods;199667 wrote: What are my options - reusing our existing broadband modem thing from Telecom.

Any ADSL broadband provider will work with your existing modem. There are many many choices. If you want to see the full range of ISPs, check out this web site:

www.nzconnection.net/Internet_Plan_and_P...ADSL_Broadband_plans

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
15 years 9 months ago #224249 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Broadband
I've just joined Telstraclear for phone; saving me around $100 month with their YakPak. I have just enquired as to whether or not I can get BB connected (not sure if I am close enuf to exchange). They do BB for clear and paradise customers and Im with paradise...

More
15 years 9 months ago #224309 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Broadband
Thanks I will have to look at the modem when I get home. I know there is a username and password somewhere, but we were only sent it in an email, so I will have to hunt for the bit of paper! Telecom haven't been a lot of use any time I've tried phoning them before about broadband - I had to go through lots of people before I could convince them I actually had broadband with Telecom, nevermind fix the fault at the time!

I know using online speed testing I get 60kbps NOT mbps. But that may just be the speed when the kids have used up the broadband - and it goes up to an amazing 160kbps when its full speed.

Wireless isn't an option and we have little or no cellphone coverage at our place.

• maggies mum
15 years 9 months ago #224311 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Broadband
Broadband is a very sore point in this house at the moment! We waited in anticipation of some aerial/transmitter to be put up on out road so we could go wireless and now we find out we don't have line of sight. And Satellite is far to expensive. So I rang xnet to see what the possibility was for getting BB through the normal phone line and they told me to contact telecom. No BB as yet but was told to ring back in a month, as something could be in the pipeline. So if they do I will take it!

More
15 years 9 months ago #224450 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Broadband
Downstream Upstream
[url="http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:PopNewWindow%28%27/hag/help/help.ssi#Attenuation%27,%20%27winHagPopOut%27,%20400%29;"][/url]

Attenuation11.0d B18.0dB
Connection rate
320 Kbps 160 Kbps

What does this mean then, and will changing plan change anything?

More
15 years 9 months ago #224453 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Broadband
I am doing 36Mbps at the moment when I should be getting 56Mbps on xtra.

It is a continual pain in the butt & I live around the corner from the exchange.
If it wasn't for the cheap calls to Canada I would chuck it out on principal.
I have no idea as to the ability of any other provider doing better with all the ancient copper wires.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
15 years 9 months ago #224459 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Broadband
We are with Telstra and have been for some years. Got broadban around 3 years ago.

More
15 years 9 months ago #224473 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Broadband
TKP no We can't get broadband here too far away from the xchange in Oxford and the up grade won't be any time soon.
We can get Scorch off the hill but its way to expensive.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
15 years 9 months ago #224498 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Broadband

Clods;199963 wrote: Attenuation Downstream11.0dB Upstream 18.0dB
Connection rate
Downstream 320 Kbps Upstream 160 Kbps

What does this mean then, and will changing plan change anything?

Aha! Now I see what the problem is...

You are on the very slowest plan available from Xtra i.e. 256kbps Down/128kbps Up. Barely even broadband [xx(]

Your Attenuation figures are fine by the way. In your case they mean:

Good with little or no synchronisation problems

Have a look at the plans on this page:

www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/1,106...05836-204473,00.html

I would suggest the Go Express plan. It will give you the Full Speed that your line is capable of, and 3GB of data, which is a decent amount for most people.

If you need more data, you can upgrade to the higher-level plans for another $10 to $30 per month.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds