China's baby formula contamination

More
13 years 9 months ago #14600 by reggit
www.stuff.co.nz/4691778a12.html

This is the same stuff (melamine) that contaminated the pet food about a year (?) ago, causing death by kidney failure.

Contamination is not a good word for it, I feel, considering in the pet food case it was shown to have been a deliberate attempt to bulk the product's protein level cheaply. Deliberate poisoning might be a better description.

Fonterra will be wishing it wasn't involved in a company where it can't ensure quality control...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #224011 by Simkin
I don't buy food made in China. And if it says on the label 'Made for' I ring the company. I can't recall an instance when it wasn't made in China when it said 'Made for'.

More
13 years 9 months ago #224043 by Prim
{sigh}

Pet peeve of mine. Not dictating, not anything, but ...

If women would just breastfeed their babies, alot of this kind of thing wouldn't occur.

JMHO.

• maggies mum
13 years 9 months ago #224044 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic China's baby formula contamination
It doesn't work for most people though Prim, I just couldn't get on with breastfeeding at all, and there are many women are the same. I agree though breast is best just not fro everyone, so you need to be 100% confident that the baby formula you buy is safe.
Having said that the Chinese seem to be quite happy to eat many other revolting things, stomach bile, etc so why not melamine!

More
13 years 9 months ago #224089 by max2

Prim;199524 wrote: {sigh}

Pet peeve of mine. Not dictating, not anything, but ...

If women would just breastfeed their babies, alot of this kind of thing wouldn't occur.

JMHO.

I also believe breast is best but as MM says its not an option for some.

When E was born because she was just under 10 1/2 pounds, the nurses told me I wouldn't be able to supply E with her entire needs and that she was virtually a 3 month old, instead of newborn.

I took that advice on board as I knew, despite being only 8 pound when I was born that I also didn't receive enough from my mum and eventually after much stress to Mum I was supplementary fed.

However I do understand frustration at Women who simply won't try, and anger at men who find the idea of their OH's breast feeding upsetting.

More
13 years 9 months ago #224102 by spoook
Our n/bour has just had a baby, we visited them in hospital and I was stunned on the BAN on formula in any shape or form.[:0]
Seems hospitals are not "allowed" to have it available. What about the mother that is not a "good cow"? Is she expected to have her child scream because it is hungry? Watch it waste away due to lack of nutrition?
Even dummies were not allowed.... cause "nipple confusion" [:0] Duh?????

This is her third child, she is a nurse anyway so I am sure she has her head screwed on right (then again, third child??? plus they want another one [:0])
Surely there must be some allowance made for the ones that do not fit the pattern/type the rule makers all want us to be.[:(!]

Don't get me wrong, I agree breast feeding is the best........ but some just can't do it, can't produce.
Don't we all know that with some of our charges? We supplement, either her feed or the young one's needs.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

• maggies mum
13 years 9 months ago #224107 by maggies mum
That hospital should have some lessons in free choice eh spoook! I would not tolerate someone dictating to me like that! That is unreal!

More
13 years 9 months ago #224117 by spoook
North Shore......... you try telling them..... seems there is a big push for mothers to breast feed, good idea for those that can.... but there are those that can't.

This baby was by caeserarian, the milk was not through(?) yet, so how did the hospital expect her to cope???

There aren't even baths to bathe the babies any more, no one to clean and sterilize them.[:0]
An unwashed newborn........

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

• maggies mum
13 years 9 months ago #224118 by maggies mum
Oh dear! Thanks goodness me child bearing days are over, unfortunately me child bearing hips are still with me! :D

More
13 years 9 months ago #224124 by oskatd
Crikey! They should have a go with the NHS - I had to fight to be able to breastfeed, the NHS nurses kept whisking him away and plonking a bottle in his gob.....

More
13 years 9 months ago #224164 by Simkin
I had my first one at North Shore. He was a very hungry baby but I was determined to breast feed. The nurses kept offering a bottle and I felt quite pressured. It took a lot of my energy to persevere. So times must have changed.

When I was there there were several mothers who didn't want to breast feed. Reasons I remember: Didn't want to get sagging breasts, wanted to be able to leave baby with grandparents, wanted husband to share feeding baby, didn't want baby at all.

I think you can never please everyone but with the experience I made the current policy will probably be beneficial for the majority of babies.

More
13 years 9 months ago #225213 by kindajojo
agree, and why anyone would buy anything from China is beyond me.
What annoys me is that we pay premium for things produced in NZ because of cost on the producers like acc levy's, heath regulations, labour laws and compliance cost and yet the govt allows "stuff"" in from countries such as china which can be produced a lot cheaper because they dont meet these costs, thus putting our producers out of business.

I buy nz even if it is more expensive as in the long run it could be cheaper....
I hope these guys are charges with murder and treated appropriately..and now it antibiotics.????

More
13 years 9 months ago #225214 by max2
They said on the news a 4th bub had died today... :(

A penfriend in US emailed me to see if I had heard about it, mainly because of the NZ connection, which was made very clear on their news.:(

More
13 years 9 months ago #225223 by betenoir

oskatd;199607 wrote: Crikey! They should have a go with the NHS - I had to fight to be able to breastfeed, the NHS nurses kept whisking him away and plonking a bottle in his gob.....

Ah the good old NHS....I was actually asked to stop feeding one of mine by a nurse as 'one of the other patients has grandparents visiting and they don't want to see your boobs!'. Needless to say I carried on regardless and made it perfectly clear that it was their problem not mine. Said nurse then returned with a screen which she started to put up around me. It ended up as a garden feature [:I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 9 months ago #225230 by reggit

swaggie;200777 wrote: They said on the news a 4th bub had died today... :(

A penfriend in US emailed me to see if I had heard about it, mainly because of the NZ connection, which was made very clear on their news.:(

What's the old saying about getting tarred with the same brush...? Fonterra's reputation will take a hammering on this one. Let's hope it doesn't have a backlash against NZ dairy products.

Interested to see on TV the other night a voiceover advertising an upcoming news item about it showed a Karicare tin being lifted from a shelf by a customer - and I am sure that Karicare is not involved - imagine whomever produces that would not be best pleased to be associated, even visually, with this incident...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds