Mobile broadband - wyseyes/GrantK help!

More
13 years 9 months ago #14494 by reggit
How do I find out which of the two devices being offered (T stick or Express Card www.telecom.co.nz/datadevices?nv=sd ) will work on my laptop for mobile broadband? Darned if I can remember what the specs were, I know one wasn't able to be used...:o

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #222598 by wyseyes
OK, you have the T-stick, a little USB stick which plugs into the USB slot on either computer.

Or you have the Express Card, a PCMCIA card which will plug into:
NOT your desktop, because it doesn't have a PCMCIA Slot, and
NOT your laptop because it has an ExpressCard Slot, and no PCMCIA slot.

The prices are not hugely different :)

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 9 months ago #222646 by GrantK
Sorry Tigger, I didn't see your post yesterday for some reason. Occasionally, the Active Topics function misses a new post.

Anyway, back to your question which Wyseyes has pretty much already answered:

From what I have seen, the Express Card is a little more durable in that it can't be snapped off if your laptop falls off something while the T-Stick is vulnerable in this regard if it lands on something while attached.

However, the T-Stick is more versatile in that it can be used with almost any computer, so there are pros and cons to weigh up.

We have the older PCMCIA / CardBus type of card, which works fine in my 3-year old laptop, but Inger's 2-year old Acer is dying, so I have just upgraded her to a new laptop with an Express Card slot. Which is a pain, because our 2 laptops no longer use the same type of cards :(

So I am pondering whether or not to replace our card with a T-Stick, or just to simply buy an Express Card to PCMCIA adaptor.

This is the second Acer we have had which has failed not long outside the warranty period, so I definitely won't be buying Acer again. We have got her a Toshiba this time, so will see how that goes. I have had good experiences with them in the past.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 9 months ago #222665 by NZ Appaloosas
Totally aside, I loooove my Toshiba laptop (and it gets used daily, as it is my only computer), trundles back and forth from home to office, and the only complaint I have is the keys--I've managed to wear letters off, and actually have little dents in some of the keys... took 3 years for this to happen tho.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds