how much to pay and where to find and what to expect?

More
13 years 10 months ago #14401 by Hestia
OK, I need someone that can dig up last years spuds that I never had time to dig up, most rotten some ok. and also plant new spuds.do some weeding. Repair and adding bits and pieces on fence.How much to pay someone per hour?and how to find someone without paying an expensive ad in the local rag?pay per hour ands gas money?think it might be like 10-20 hrs at initial stage of work for one man.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221266 by feedqueen
Yes i am in the same boat, my garden was neglected last summer as we spent all our time with the stock. i need someone to spend a week in the garden tidying up as I am a bit broken at the moment and it is too big a job to even contemplate. Outr local garage had a messageboard so thought i might try that for starters.Maybe your local supermarket or shop might be an otion also.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221269 by feedqueen
And I also thought $100 a day cash would be top price I would pay according to experience and energy levels! My neighbour charges $15 an hour for her gardening business but is not taking on any more work.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221281 by beedee
Fill out one of those notices at the supermarket.. or check them out for a handy man available. good luck

More
13 years 10 months ago #221284 by Kiwismum
How much experience are you looking for. Sometime local high school kids would be only too happy to help out especially if they are getting paid for it.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
13 years 10 months ago #221286 by ronnie
As for cost, the minimum wage these days is $12 per hour.

Yes, read the cards at the supermarket and you may find a local handyman who does these jobs. Or check out your local free paper (if you have one) as the locals often advertise for work in there as well.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221287 by Midge
To be fair, I think this type of work is worth $15 per hour minimum, plus some dosh for travel.

When I was really beyond doing yard work a couple of years ago I employed a handy man that advertised in the local paper. He was healthy, full of energy and a great worker, but a little careless with some plants I asked him to put aside - they all went on the rubbish pile and were cooked before he left. He did a great job of cleaning up after himself. He didn't want travel money but he'd driven over an hour to get here so I gave him an extra 10 bucks.

It's well worth asking around to see if anyone can recommend a handyman. They'd be nothing worse than ending up with a lazy bugger. We're going to get this bloke back to help lay a heap of pavers as this was his trade before coming to NZ from Holland.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #221288 by Midge
Also, if you tell us your location Hestia, maybe someone could recommend someone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #221290 by Seaside
It must be coming up to the University and Polytech holidays. There's something called Student Job Search, perhaps you could find an on-holiday student who is studying something to do with horticulture, agriculture, landscaping, etc (so would have a bit of a clue)?

They have an average pay rates for different job types for different areas. Might give you an idea of the going rate: www.sjs.co.nz/content/employers/getadvice/59/money-matters.aspx

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #221309 by Birman Babe
Because I cant kneel very well these days I pay one of my neighbours $13 cash hr to come weed my gardens....shes very happy with that. Guess if the person had to travel then they might expect a wee bit more.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221342 by The Kats Place
Try the University - student job search, or the polytech.
Also sometimes sports teams want to do that sort of thing as fund raising.
Maybe someone unemployed or solo parent in your area wants to earn a bit extra.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #221417 by Kalmara
Try Greypower, they do have some really active older people with experience & are reliable

More
13 years 10 months ago #221427 by DiDi
How much to pay is a very difficult place to be. Yes there is the minimum wage - no problem with that - but what I have found over a lifetime is that the difference in output means that one person can buzz through the same job in half the time as someone who either isn't fit or isn't motivated to get it done. Hope that makes sense - not meaning to typecast anyone so in a way, they are worth what they accomplish rather than the time it takes to get it finished.

Your neighbour who is not taking on any more customers - is there any chance she could spare you the time to advise how long your jobs should take and pay in that vicinity for a completed job? Motivation is then there - not slave driver.

More
13 years 9 months ago #221797 by Clods
Is there anyone in the Wellington/Lower Hutt area who wants two high school boys to do some work for them. My two are looking for odd jobs. Nothing that involves chainsaws though please!

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds