Come in Grant K or other techos ;-)

More
13 years 10 months ago #14392 by Hintzashouse
Have had the lavasoft Adaware (the free one) for scanning for spyware. Scan used to take about 30 mins to do my computer. That all went Ok until they changed the adaware and brought out the 2008 free version which you had to update to. Now a scan can take upwards of 6 hours and have still not finished, same computer, smart scan setting. I've given up on it. What other (free)spyware would you suggest that is good and fast?

Thanks HH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221172 by GrantK
I have heard many good things about Avast, from many different sources:

www.avast.com/

I have no idea how fast it is, but it should definitely do all you need.

Out of interest, how often do you run a scan?

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #221176 by judes
I use avast and find it great. It doesn't take very long and scans the boot drive and everything else. It does update often, automatically so you don't have to worry about doing that yourself.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221207 by spoook
The only thing with Avast! is, it does not scan at a set time like AVG. (not that I have found[:I])
You can set it to scan when your screen saver activates, Control Panel, Display, Screensaver, scroll down to Avast! and apply.

I do use Adaware and have had no problems so far, will check mine and get back here.

I will add that time back,AVG advised me I had a problem, all my research said you had to buy the tool to remove. Avast! got rid of it the first scan :D

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 10 months ago #221253 by xevbellringer
I got rid of ad aware for the same reason. Also used to use AVG but it got too slow & would interfere with the speed of processing, everyday, for the first 4 hours or so! Also used spybot search & destroy but the latest "teatimer" update wipes out all my windows sounds! So now just using avast. It runs in the background all the time, it's free & it updates automatically. Running the disk scans can take a while, which I do every other week.

More
13 years 10 months ago #221441 by Hintzashouse
Great, thanks team. Unloaded AVG & Adaware, installed avast, it scanned in 1 hr and found one thing that the others hadn't picked up. And I could still use the computer at normal speed while the scanner was working :)

You can set it to scan when your screen saver activates, Control Panel, Display, Screensaver, scroll down to Avast! and apply

thanks Spoook, just done that too :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #221443 by DiDi
Hmmm - I use AVG and yes it does slow down the computer when scanning (with Broadband not a big deal) but with it scanning every day at a set time, I find it is quite quick. How often do others scan their computers?

More
13 years 10 months ago #221482 by beedee
Glad that question has been asked as I had downloaded Avast just the other day, since my AVG is the old version, I only got messages that the version 8 couldn't be downloaded.
Ive gone and downloaded google chrome, not sure why, but it seemed a great idea, only the txt on the page is too small for my failing eyesight.. how can I make it bigger, I don't see a 100% at the bottom of the page to change

More
13 years 10 months ago #221511 by GrantK

beedee;196663 wrote: Ive gone and downloaded google chrome, not sure why, but it seemed a great idea, only the txt on the page is too small for my failing eyesight.. how can I make it bigger, I don't see a 100% at the bottom of the page to change

With Firefox or IE there is a Zoom command. With FF it's under the View menu; is there a similar command hidden away in Chrome?

It must be lurking in there somewhere as many people would be lost without it.

My desktop PC's keyboard is one of those wireless Microsoft keyboards with a Zoom button in between the halves of the QWERTY section, and I managed to get that working with Firefox by tweaking a humungous XML file. It's nice just being able to prod the Zoom button rather than going through a menu. With a wheel mouse, you can often hold down the Control key and then scroll up or down to change the zoom factor.

One of those methods should work, so let me know what you find, and I'm also interested to know what you think of Chrome :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #221523 by beedee
Thanks Grant, shall fumble around, nuffink between my qwerty but maybe one of my "F"s does it. and since Google is trialling I can always ask them. shall keep you informed., just having unwell cow probs today.. so wots new....

More
13 years 10 months ago #221527 by beedee
yes they have one its ctrl ++ or the page symbol and drop down option.. eeek I might be getting to like this[8D]

More
13 years 10 months ago #221688 by xevbellringer
I have changed my mind!! After spending the entire night trying to get rid of the "Antivirus XP 2008" malware that my recalcitrant offspring infested the computer with this evening. Apparently, this programm is downloaded without any intervention by the user, but it sure pays to check the sites you're visiting. We use the WOT (web of trust) addon for firefox.

Anyway, Avast firstly let this malware thru it's continual monitoring system & than couldn't remove it on a system scan. I had to download another programme called "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" another freeware, to fix it finally... it found 46 malware files and cured the problem.

More
13 years 9 months ago #222117 by judes
Hi
I have just discovered that with FF if you go to the options and into the contents tab. You can adjust the font size to suit. This option keeps the font size and style of you choice for all the pages you open.
Hope this helps someone.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds