Dying clutch - likely repair costs? A GOOD CALL

More
15 years 7 months ago #219479 by kalnetta
As Grant said its more likley to be the thrust bearing if it was mine I would take it it to the mechanic sooner than later.Yes it probably has a cluth cable rather than a cylinder.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219482 by reggit
Yep, plan to take it in tomorrow, kalnetta, but also interested in how this all works [:I]

Hubby is giving me grief as he hates my car, but I love it to bits. Had it since it was born in 1995 and until about two months ago, never had a problem with it. Now some things are starting to go with age - as happens to us all :(

He reckons I should get a new car. I argue that I don't want a car that can't carry fence posts, bags of wet compost, plants, etc etc without worrying about upholstery/paintwork [}:)] Forget the fact that I've had to cut out the front carpet as it leaks through the holes where the pedal cables feed into the driver compartment, that's called character [^]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 7 months ago #219483 by GrantK

tigger;194487 wrote: Did you see my comment about Ferozas having single plate dry clutches, Grant? Added that last minute :)

That just means the normal type of clutch which is used in a small car Tigger.

Multi-plate clutches are used in Motorcycles and Locomotives according to this page on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch

There is a good picture of a single-plate dry clutch on the Right Hand Side, part-way down.

I have never struck a wet clutch, but they are used on motorcycles apparently.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
15 years 7 months ago #219489 by DiDi
If you 'aint got a c*utch then nothing is going to happen and there is nothing worse than a fluidless c*rtuch so get it into the doctor and get it sorted! [;)]

More
15 years 7 months ago #219523 by wyseyes
Try this for a bit of fun

auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

It shows how it all fits together, what happens when you stomp on the clutch, how friction keeps it running.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
15 years 7 months ago #219537 by Kiwi303
wet clutches IIRC are oil bath types which share the engine oil and are often made so the sump and the clutch case are combined. thats a weight saving and space saving feature for bike clutches...

engine oil makes things slippery tho, so it takes some interesting work to make enough friction to turn the gears and rear wheel :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• maggies mum
15 years 7 months ago #219551 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Dying clutch - likely repair costs? A GOOD CALL
If it's making funny noises tigger just turn the radio up!

Works for me! ;)

More
15 years 7 months ago #219646 by reggit
I took a risk and drove it down to the garage in second gear in rush hour traffic, luckily hit a green light so no gear changes needed, but once in the garage yard, no way it would go back into reverse! :(

Mechanic called to say clutch is buggered (surprise, surprise) so getting that and a couple of other things done at the same time (shocks etc). Not much change will be coming out of $1400, methinks [:I]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 7 months ago #219647 by Gracelands
Yikes! Thats a lot to spend on an old car, Tigger.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
15 years 7 months ago #219649 by reggit
My car has hardly cost me anything over the years, so I figure that's not too bad to keep it going a while longer [:I]. I'd rather not buy another car until I can buy a very nearly new one, and I'd rather not do that until the major block stuff (landscaping etc) is done, as this is such a great carryall vehicle. I know the full history of this car and that its been serviced properly all those years, rather than swapping it for someone else's hidden surprises [;)]

More
15 years 7 months ago #219672 by Kiwi303
The "hidden surprises" bit is the biggie :P

More
15 years 7 months ago #219751 by sod
OK car is worth ????? add $1400 you could buy what that aint going to have more problems????

MMM works for me too thats why you have radios dontcha ??

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 7 months ago #219790 by DiDi
That sounds like a hell of a lot of money to me! I have replaced clutches in both daughter's cars over the years and it used to cost around $130 for the clutch. There is a Daihatsu Feroza clutch kit on T & M second hand for $80 reserve. Another thread talks about a wet clutch - goobly gook to me but at $1400, you could get a whole new engine with possibly a good clutch already installed. Rear ended car for example. Been there done that recently (not the clutch - that had to be replaced) but still only around the $500 mark for the clutch wholesale for a Suburu. Do you not have any mechanic friends who could source you the parts wholesale? Just ensure you comply with the warranty and all is sweet.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219799 by Kiwi303
Didi, Tigger also mentioned "a few other bits" as well, shocks etc. Well shocks will be between 60 and 120 each x4, plus removal and fitting labour charge, so thats 300+ or so right there, and a '95 is 13 years old, about time for new shocks.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219820 by reggit
It's very simple from my perspective: $1600 (hopefully a bit less!) that I have in the hand today from my business, or $15,000 that I don't have to spend at the moment (little thing like building a house getting in the way [;)]) to buy a replacement car (criteria is less than 3 years old, I've done my dash with second hand surprises, even with mechanics checks) within a week (including time running round trying to find one, getting it checked out, etc etc etc at what is already a busy/stressful time) on tick so there is interest to be paid as well.

Decision is made and should have the car back late this afternoon [}:)]

(I might also add that as a business/work car, a large proportion of the repairs are tax deductible).

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds