Dying clutch - likely repair costs? A GOOD CALL

More
13 years 9 months ago #14270 by reggit
My trusty little Diahatsu Feroza has a dying clutch, by the sound and feel of it. Any ideas (ballpark) of how much it costs to replace/repair these?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #219433 by The Kats Place
You know that holiday money you were going to ferret away........

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 9 months ago #219436 by reggit
Hmmmm....and I was just thinking, as I drove home from the timber place today with twelve 1.8m quarter round posts in my car, how handy it is...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 9 months ago #219447 by ronnie
are you sure its dying?

My clutch goes soft at times and I just fill up the fluid bottle, give it a couple of pumps and away it goes again.

Cheaper than replacing the clutch, although that job is on my to do list at some stage.

More
13 years 9 months ago #219449 by reggit
Making awful squelchy/graunchy noises when you put your foot on the clutch, and hard to change gears...? Happened very suddenly. Am hoping that perhaps its as simple (?) as a break in the cable and loss of fluid, but hey, I know absolutely nothing about this part of cars! :(

More
13 years 9 months ago #219451 by sod
sounds like if it needs bleeding look under bonet there is in front of steering wheel plastic cap unscrew and check if it has fluid in it. There maybe two one brakes, one clutch if empty or low fill to fill line.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 9 months ago #219459 by GrantK

tigger;194456 wrote: Making awful squelchy/graunchy noises when you put your foot on the clutch, and hard to change gears...?

Your thrust bearing has failed Tigger (no, that's not as dodgy as it sounds [;)], it is the bearing that the clutch fingers press on in order to disengage the clutch).

With any luck, the pressure plate itself could still be OK, and that is the most expensive bit. I would take it to your friendly mechanic without delay so he/she can salvage the good bits, while they are still good [xx(]

From memory, it costs about $200 or $300 + GST for a full pressure plate and thrust bearing replacement, so with any luck you will get away with a little less than that, although the labour component will still be much the same.

More
13 years 9 months ago #219461 by reggit
Luckily our friendly mechanic is just down the road, so will crawl along there tomorrow morning for some repairs :(

Is that the same thing as a throwout bearing?

More
13 years 9 months ago #219464 by Kiwi303
a clutch going generally means you can change gears fine and the noises are fine, it just keeps slipping as all the friction material is worn away, sounds to mre more like either a bad throwout bearing or shifter fork, or low on fluid. fluid is the likeliest

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 9 months ago #219471 by reggit
OKay, am donning my headlight torch and going to have a poke around under the bonnet to see if I can find the elusive clutch fluid cap...

More
13 years 9 months ago #219473 by reggit
All I can find is one fluid container right behind the steering wheel that is at maximum fluid...and I take it that is not the one?

Gonna ask a couple of dumbarse questions anyway (better a fool for a minute than a fool for a lifetime :D

Is the fluid I am trying to check the transmission fluid?

More
13 years 9 months ago #219474 by GrantK

tigger;194482 wrote: All I can find is one fluid container right behind the steering wheel that is at maximum fluid...and I take it that is not the one?

Generally, that is the brake fluid cylinder Tigger, if that is the case, you will see a much larger metal cylinder behind it (lying on its side) which contains the power brake booster.

tigger;194482 wrote: Is the fluid I am trying to check the transmission fluid?

Given that you have a clutch i.e. Manual transmission, there shouldn't be any transmission fluid, that is only present on an Auto.

The clutch fluid cylinder is generally quite a bit smaller than the brake fluid cylinder.

More
13 years 9 months ago #219475 by reggit
Nope, can't find anything even vaguely resembling it then.

Does it matter that my car is about 13 years old? Not some old fashioned way of operating the clutch eg cables that would have been used back then?

(Told you they'd be dumbarse questions! [^])

The reason I ask is the owners manual has specs for every sort of oil, for the brake fluid and power steering fluid, but no mention of clutch fluid...

PS site I have found gives specs for Feroza as having 'single plate dry clutch' whatever that is...

More
13 years 9 months ago #219477 by GrantK

tigger;194484 wrote: Nope, can't find anything even vaguely resembling it then.

Does it matter that my car is about 13 years old? Not some old fashioned way of operating the clutch eg cables that would have been used back then?
The reason I ask is the owners manual has specs for every sort of oil, for the brake fluid and power steering fluid, but no mention of clutch fluid...

Now there's a point. My old Datsun 120Y (1976 model) used to have a cable clutch.

However, all cars I have owned since then have had hydraulic clutches, except for the automatic ones of course :p

Given that your manual doesn't mention the clutch fluid, it is just remotely possible that you have a cable-operated clutch.

There's a way to check, but it involves crawling under the car :(

If you can see a slave cylinder on the side of the bell-housing then you have a hydraulic clutch. If there is none, then it's most likely a cable-operated clutch. You may also be able to see the cable attached to the clutch pedal if this is the case, although it isn't foolproof as there could still be a clutch cylinder somewhere.

The only way to say for sure is by looking at the side of the bell-housing. The Slave Cylinder (if it's present) will have a small metal pipe going into it, similar to a hydraulic brake line.

More
13 years 9 months ago #219478 by reggit
Did you see my comment about Ferozas having single plate dry clutches, Grant? Added that last minute :)

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds