House sale - strange reluctance...

More
13 years 11 months ago #216154 by reggit
Camp toilet. Empty it into the long drop after each use and swish it out with water. At least you can do the business bit in relative comfort somewhere else, and minimise the time that you have to be in the presence of the long drop and its accompanying fug! [xx(]

My mother, bless her, has gifted us their heirloom camp toilet that I used as a wee tot (no pun intended that time) way back in Germany when we did our family camps when Dad was based there (we had free transport for all our household goods when we shifted to NZ so nothing was thrown out). They sure made their plastic goods to last in those days - must check if it is Tupperware [}:)] its at least 38 years old!!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #216218 by Andrea1
That was very amusing, tigger. :p Thanks, I needed the laugh.

I was asking semi-seriously... we're having a field day here in October, 50+/- people, and I don't know if the septic can handle it, and the goat club hasn't the funds to pay for a portaloo..... [xx(]

We'll figure something out.

Back to the topic. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to leave, and the longest we lived in our first house was just over 7 years, not 13 (though we moved in a month before our first was born, so lots of memories there). I have visited previous homes, and was saddened at what I saw at the first one, but the second they'd pretty much left everything as is a couple of years down the road, even to the little fish pond we'd made out in front of the house.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find the heart to get on with moving forward, and getting settled on the new block will be so all-consuming you'll probably never look back.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 11 months ago #216223 by Isla
Andrea, talk to some of your local rural suppliers about the possibility of sponsoring that most necessary of facillities and offer to plaster their banner or name all over the fence alongside which anyone will have to wait to use it. "Please support the sponsor of this loo". Oh, and be careful where you use the word Portaloo, unless it definitely is one or you'll be in receipt of a letter from a company of solicitors! :D

More
13 years 11 months ago #216236 by beedee
When my daughters house was built they had a portable loo system, the builders that is so Im guessing long drops are no longer allowed in the waipa district.
Andrea make it a coin donation for every relief trip gained by the folk using the portable loo, Im sure after 5 mins of thinking they wil be pleased to donate.. for the pleasure of something to use,esp if you serve a good hot cup of coffee on their arrival... a new way of making club funds

More
13 years 11 months ago #216247 by Andrea1
Oh! Thanks for the ideas, beedee and Isla - good stuff.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

• maggies mum
13 years 11 months ago #216263 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic House sale - strange reluctance...
It's 17 years since BD and I moved out of our first house, and a lot of blood sweat and tears went into that, we got it how we wanted it and moved to another house. And again a lot of blood sweat and tears went into that house we lived there for ten years then came to NZ. I loved both those houses but I'd never go back to them, they are in the past, they are gone.
Our 1st house in NZ I will always think of as special, but that's in the past now too, never look back with regret just look forward to the future!

As Pumbaa said in Lion King, "Ya gotta leave your past in your behind!" :D

More
13 years 11 months ago #216276 by Birman Babe
We owned 2 houses in Melbourne in the time we lived there and I always go back & take a look at them when I return for a holiday. I reminise and, sometimes even wish I was still there :-) Both houses were old places we renovated and I loved them both. But here I am in the country & I feel so much safer, for myself and for all my pets...but I still think I will return to town one day.

More
13 years 11 months ago #216318 by max2

maggies mum;190831 wrote: Failing all that I can send yer a peg for yer nose swaggie! ;)

Ta MM :D

More
13 years 11 months ago #216320 by Dream Weaver
We occasionally go and have a drive past our old house in suburbia. We built it so many years ago, it was a new subdivision up on the hill with beautiful sea views. It was a good place to bring up the kids. Back in those days everyone knew everyone else, all the kids grew up and played together etc it was good. Now though there is only 1 of the origanal people living in the street, driving down the street is like driving down a deserted bit of the past. You never see kids out playing in the street and it just seems deserted.
Our first house we moved to up here we had with abit of land and still miss and kind of regret selling is hard not to see as it faces the main highway so we have to pass it regularly.

More
13 years 11 months ago #216324 by max2
Andrea, some people are very sensitive about using a long drop, we have a couple of friends when invited to come to the farm for lunch actually won't because of our toilet (we only invite people at the beginning of our stay, not the end bit[;)]).

Yet we have hot and cold water in the shed, plenty of soap and fresh towels.. some are just not happy campers.

One friend was even caught peeing at our front gate (of all the land to chose) by some local friends dropping in for a cuppa.[:I]

More
13 years 11 months ago #216337 by Isla
It's not people's toilets which worry me so much as their kitchens!!!

More
13 years 11 months ago #216460 by AdoubleJ
We were 30 years in our house!!! [:0] We had looked at other houses in that time and had always chickened out, it was our home, the kids grew up in it then left home, I never wanted to leave :( ..............until we found this place. Now this is definitely our home. :D
The kids love coming to 'The Farm' and it is so good for the grandchildren, being around the animals. We won't be moving again!! :D

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
13 years 11 months ago #216485 by Dream Weaver
Ive just had a thought. what about when and if we get too old and doddery to handle having land!!!! There should be a LSB retirement homes. little self contained houses like a wee village on a heap of land. Lots of animals. Helpful staff who do all the hard work. then we will be able to grow old and be able to enjoy the land and animals without any of the work, or the big bonus of not having to end up in some suburbian cramped village or home.....
We could all be like that old TV program "Waiting for God" MM and Bev could fight it out as to who would be Dianna.

• chooky
13 years 11 months ago #216512 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic House sale - strange reluctance...
Now that sounds like my sort of retirement ' village ' :D [^]. I will need to find one with a bit of grazing for my minis . They are only 6 and 5 y.o and the little buggers can live for ages !

• maggies mum
13 years 11 months ago #216514 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic House sale - strange reluctance...

smilie;191234 wrote: Ive just had a thought. what about when and if we get too old and doddery to handle having land!!!! There should be a LSB retirement homes. little self contained houses like a wee village on a heap of land. Lots of animals. Helpful staff who do all the hard work. then we will be able to grow old and be able to enjoy the land and animals without any of the work, or the big bonus of not having to end up in some suburbian cramped village or home.....
We could all be like that old TV program "Waiting for God" MM and Bev could fight it out as to who would be Dianna.

:D :D :D :D :D Love it! And what a great Idea!

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds