House sale - strange reluctance...

More
13 years 11 months ago #216049 by reggit
No worries, swaggie, think I am over my self-pitying moment now [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #216053 by Pumpkingirl

Kate;190764 wrote: Tell me this is a longdrop......[B)][B)]

Yes it's a long drop, Kate![:0]

More
13 years 11 months ago #216054 by Isla
Swaggie, it'll work whatever age the hole, because it's just sucking out the smelly air from the top of the hole, so it doesn't waft up to your face and hang around in a poisonous cloud waiting for you to come in. I guess it would help to have a prevailing wind direction, but it should be set up so you can just swivel the pipe for the bottle's wide opening to face one way or the other. I guess if the wind is straight on to the back wall, you're out of luck - or need a pipe out one of the sides as well. [;)]

More
13 years 11 months ago #216057 by max2

Isla;190782 wrote: Swaggie, it'll work whatever age the hole, because it's just sucking out the smelly air from the top of the hole, so it doesn't waft up to your face and hang around in a poisonous cloud waiting for you to come in. I guess it would help to have a prevailing wind direction, but it should be set up so you can just swivel the pipe for the bottle's wide opening to face one way or the other. I guess if the wind is straight on to the back wall, you're out of luck - or need a pipe out one of the sides as well. [;)]

got something for the flies as well Isla? Even with the lid down Pukekohe Rob (from another thread[;)] :D :D :D ).

More
13 years 11 months ago #216062 by Isla
Maybe they'll be enticed up the pipe with the disappearing smell?

More
13 years 11 months ago #216065 by reggit
From someone who hasn't had to do this before apart from one off uses...can't you put a couple of spadefuls of soil down after you've each done your dash in there? Wouldn't that stop the flies if there is enough to stop the - ahem - contents seeping up through the soil?

After this discussion, I will not be complaining about the chemical loo, that's for sure [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 11 months ago #216068 by Pumpkingirl
I duuno Tiggs, that ghastly deodorant smell from chemical loos is pretty revolting.

In John Seymour's self-sufficiency book on "thunderbox toilets" he recommends the sawdust and the venting, as explained by Isla. No smell he reckons.

More
13 years 11 months ago #216072 by oskatd
So, Tigger, have you had any interest in the house? Are you determined to sell privately? Did you get a valuation first?

Can you tell we're about to put our place on the market ;) ? So, sorry for the 20 questions!

More
13 years 11 months ago #216082 by GrantK

Isla;190708 wrote: ...I cannot think of the name of the effect you're using, but it works with water and air: the passing of a flow of air which is made to speed up by the narrowing of the bottle, will create a suction which draws "air" up from the pipe and thus creates a very slight vaccuum in your long-drop hole...

It's called the Venturi effect. Used in sailboats to achieve a self-draining cockpit amongst other things.

Pumpkingirl;190796 wrote: ...In John Seymour's self-sufficiency book on "thunderbox toilets" he recommends the sawdust and the venting, as explained by Isla. No smell he reckons.

The composting toilets which DOC has installed at various campgrounds work on this principle. They all have a tall vent pipe and the little bucket of sawdust inside. The lack of smell compared to the usual longdrop is quite amazing.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 11 months ago #216084 by Isla

• maggies mum
13 years 11 months ago #216101 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic House sale - strange reluctance...
Failing all that I can send yer a peg for yer nose swaggie! ;)

More
13 years 11 months ago #216125 by Andrea1
So, with a long drop... can one just dig one where one chooses and plop a shed over it, or does it (like EVERYTHING else) require a resource consent?

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

Sorry to hijack thread.....

More
13 years 11 months ago #216126 by reggit

Andrea;190855 wrote: So, with a long drop... can one just dig one where one chooses and plop a shed over it, or does it (like EVERYTHING else) require a resource consent?

Your Freudian slip's showing [}:)]

More
13 years 11 months ago #216139 by GrantK

Andrea;190855 wrote: So, with a long drop... can one just dig one where one chooses and plop a shed over it, or does it (like EVERYTHING else) require a resource consent?

As with a lot of these things, it depends on when/where/who/how long.

If you are intending to live somewhere on a permanent basis, then putting in a long-drop toilet is likely to get you into trouble in many of the less remote parts of the country.

However, if it's only for a few weeks while a house is being built, then just get on with it and do what you have to do.

Or if you are living in deepest/darkest wherever, for example the Ureweras where council building inspectors would be at risk of a Tuhoe ambush, then you should be fairly safe :p

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 11 months ago #216152 by NZ Appaloosas
You can always do a "short-drop" like we have, but then you'll need to assign someone to clean-up duty... (it's hubby's job at our farm!!)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds