Bark prices

More
13 years 10 months ago #14021 by Ghilly
Bark prices was created by Ghilly
I just phoned a couple of places to see how much a scoop / metre of bark is going to cost.

I phoned a landscaping place..... $68 for half a metre and $109 for a metre!!!

As I sat reeling from that bit of information I phoned a builders supply yard. I'd noticed they had bays of garden stuff in their yard when I went past the other day.... $27 for half a metre (or a half a scoop)

Bluddy hell!!!!! How the hell does the landscaping place justify their prices on bark?????

The builder supply yard also has the less expensive 'cleanings' from the logs but they are mostly shaved bits of wood and I'm trying to avoid wood because I find it soaks up the pee and the whole shelter stinks within days, especially if it's been raining and my delicate little lot have been staying indoors weeing and poohing with gay abandon.

Hopefully, I will be able to have the whole area sorted now. I'm going to put boxing up around the edge of the new shelter roof so the bark won't walk out as quickly.

My next rick will be to figure out some way of putting in drainage..... THAT wee trick is still a dream in my head.
I can't seem to avoid having to get some gravel or stones of some kind... even if I get that bendy pipe stuff with holes in it....

The springs on the ute are shot so I don't want to be loading it up with stones. It's on borrowed time as it is. I have until Christmas before I won't be able to drive it any more and it will be meeting up with past cars on the other side of the auto rainbow bridge. I'm gutted, it's no Rolls Royce but I have a real soft spot for the ute. It has served us faithfully but now has car cancer...... *sob*

I just can't believe the landscape place was asking more than twice the price for the same amount of bark chips!!! It really does pay to phone around!!!!

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #215714 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Bark prices
We've never paid more than about $35 per scoop (half metre) even at landscaping places - maybe its a Jafa price just for you guys?? [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 10 months ago #215716 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Bark prices
Why aren't you wanting to use rock, Yakut? We're actually going that route this spring after all the water and 8 inches of muck/mud behind the barn that's caused foot scald in a number of goats (interestingly, it's ONLY my Toggs and Togg/Saanen X that have come up with it, none of the Saanens, English-type or Togg/English X). I've used bark in the past, and it gets too wet too fast and then ground into a pulpy mess.

I'm getting 6 cubic meters of river run rock for $75 for the whole load for the worst area. Should have come last week, but no sign of it yet... have to ring the carter. Again.

Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 10 months ago #215726 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Bark prices
It's going in the shelter and under the lean to at the front.
I got a heap of bark before and it lasted really well. I reckon it was about 8 inches thick and it took a long time before it needed to be replaced, when it did, I dug it out and put it in the garden.

I've just been out and found SOMEONES busy teeth have chewed through the extension cord I've been using so I have a light in the shelter. It's never plugged in unless I'm out there so there's no danger of electric shock but Jeeze Loueze!!!! Of all the things they can find to chew on, it HAD to be that!

I had it up out of reach and fed along a row of nails to keep it up but someone's managed to get it off the nails. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

I'll have to make sure I get the milking done before dark now. I can milk with my eyes shut but getting them tethered in the shelter and sorted out is another matter.

[}:)]I LOVE MY GOATS!!!!!![}:)] Little busy bodies that they are!!!!!

I shall now have to spring for a new extension cord and they don't come cheap.

It's plugged into one of those boom boxes that flicks off if there is a problem and I always unplug the lead when I've finished milking or tu tuing around. Blast and double blast!!!!

I'm off to get my bark and I'll deal with the lead problem later.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #215739 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Bark prices
I'm getting 6 cubic meters of river run rock for $75 for the whole load for the worst area. Should have come last week, but no sign of it yet... have to ring the carter. Again.

Andrea
Oxford[/quote]

We've been lugged trailer loads from the river for weeks now and made a stand off area all around the new goat pens, we let the rocks/stones etc settle for a week or two and are now in the process of topping it all with lime crush. getting a trailer load each week. Brilliant!!! Free draining sets quite solid and is easier on their little hooves as its smoother to walk on and another plus it helps files their feet as its quite abrasive.
I was so pleased this morning when I let my new girls out they all stood around on it and are now laying down in the area, we also bought 12 metres of windbreak stapled that onto the fence near it to protect from the awful southerly making it a more protected area, we had to put some small holed wire up first, then the windbreak then on the outside wide chicken wire to stop the cows/calves in the neighbouring paddocks having a go at it, expensive but hopefully it'll last and work well.
I'm off out to take some pictures of it.
GK

More
13 years 10 months ago #215746 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Bark prices
Bark 12M $260 Delivered here in Wakefield, screened nuggets are dearer someone is being fleeced further north[:0]

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds