Bluddy Olympics!

More
15 years 8 months ago #217104 by Lost Triceratops
Replied by Lost Triceratops on topic Bluddy Olympics!
:D :p @ witheze [8D][8D]

[quote=NZ Appaloosas;191887LT, have you actually ever ridden a horse in competition? Let me tell you, you ain't gonna get much of anywhere if you're not in good condition (i.e., fit and athletic) yourself.
Diane[/quote]
No I haven't NZ A... as I prefer to ride my "horses" a hundred or more at a time!
However I do agree that the rider in an equestrian event has to be fit... that is not my argument. The games are supposed to be (I thought) about 'their' abilities and if that is the case, they should be able to compete and win on any 'ol nag. They can't of course, which brings me back to the point that equestrian events have no part in the Olympics as the FACT is, they are dependent on the horses qualities as much, if not more than, the humans

I'll let you off though and agree to disagree lol :D [8D] :D :D

Are you Happy?...
Yes????
Well notify your fecking face ya miserable lookin sod!

“Add life to your days, not days to your life.”

"Live life as if every day is your last, one day you will be right".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #217126 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Bluddy Olympics!
So you don't think the fact that everyone of those riders are the ones who brought those horses into that level of ability and fitness counts for anything? This isn't like Nascar, where the drivers depend on the pit crew/mechanics/engineers to develop/maintain their "ride" in peak condition.

Diane, former resident of Nascar-land

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 8 months ago #217133 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Bluddy Olympics!
I have to agree with LT. Quite often its not the rider who got the horse into such good shape, rather a team of paid assistants.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
15 years 8 months ago #217155 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Bluddy Olympics!
Way back, when the Olympics originated, they had chariot races, so horses have been at the Olympics for a long time, they also took part in the pentathlon or some such, with riders......was this okay L.T.? [}:)]

• maggies mum
15 years 8 months ago #217167 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Bluddy Olympics!
Heck if they can have synchronised swimming in the Olympics then anythin' goes dunnit! :)

It's not in there anymore though is it!??

I'm still upset that the mens beach volleyball team aren't wearing thongs!

More
15 years 8 months ago #217169 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Bluddy Olympics!
My cats are having synchronised sleeping in front of the fire at present, maybe there could be a class for them

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• maggies mum
15 years 8 months ago #217173 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Bluddy Olympics!
Had to laugh at the commentator announcing the Sychronised 'singles' diving the other night!!

Dozy git! Where do they get these plonkers from!?? :D

More
15 years 8 months ago #217188 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Bluddy Olympics!
Don't you know MM, at one stage for a few Olympics they had solo sychronised swimming!!!!! :confused:How dozy was that? Die hards said they were meant to be synchronised with the music:rolleyes:.

More
15 years 8 months ago #217196 by Lost Triceratops

NZ Appaloosas;191916 wrote: So you don't think the fact that everyone of those riders are the ones who brought those horses into that level of ability and fitness counts for anything? This isn't like Nascar, where the drivers depend on the pit crew/mechanics/engineers to develop/maintain their "ride" in peak condition.
Diane, former resident of Nascar-land

No I don't think the quality / ability / fitness of a horse has a place in the Olympics where the physical prowess of a human is supposed to be the contest... man against man.. who is the best? is that not what the contest is?
Why then, is there not just an outright horse race as per the "chariots" of old?
I mean... dressage FFS??? Good grief its like having a competition for best waiter in a restaurant!

And frankly....No, I don't think the riders are solely responsible for the ability of the horses they ride either!

Are you Happy?...
Yes????

More
15 years 8 months ago #217205 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Bluddy Olympics!
In the same vein you could argue that all cyclsts should have the same bike, all swimmers the same suit, all runners the same shoes and all rowers the same boat. Sport is getting more technical all the time and the ones that don't adapt to technological advances are likely to end up out of the medals. At least with the horses (as with any sport involving four legged partners) there is some level of uncertainty that makes it intersting. I never 'got' dressage until I started to seriously learn to ride (as opposed to sitting on a good horse and letting him lead the way). For the first time I spent more time looking at the riders legs and hands than the horses[:I] I've actually picked up a lot just from watching the dressage...just how quickly and subtely rider can get the horse to react to an aid and how they correct things that are about to go wrong before they happen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
15 years 8 months ago #217228 by Lost Triceratops
All athletes used to compete under exactly those conditions Betenoir... bare feet, throwing the same javelin, shot, discus etc... a VERY even and fair competition!!

Just to stir the pot a little further... :p [}:)] :p

If people want to harp back to "how it happened in Athens" all those years ago, chariot races et al, then can I suggest all the women athletes pack up and go home and leave the (naked) men to compete as they used to!

I suppose the women could stay in the stands as spectators.... there should be a few votes for THAT on here at least lol :D :D

Are you Happy?...
Yes????

More
15 years 8 months ago #217230 by Broomrider
Replied by Broomrider on topic Bluddy Olympics!
Hey LT...
I thought you were out feeding the calves, I hadn't realised you had gone fishing .......

More
15 years 8 months ago #217232 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Bluddy Olympics!
Only naked men!!! Wouldn't have any gold then would we? [^]

More
15 years 8 months ago #217235 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Bluddy Olympics!
LT... ..bet the pole vaulting wouldn't be up to much[;)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
15 years 8 months ago #217241 by Broomrider
Replied by Broomrider on topic Bluddy Olympics!

betenoir;192035 wrote: LT... ..bet the pole vaulting wouldn't be up to much[;)]

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds