Computer question

More
13 years 10 months ago #13940 by DiDi
Computer question was created by DiDi
Is there any way that an ISP can "load" your useage? I know what everyone says "now you are faster you are using more" but in my case I really don't accept that ... so is there any way an ISP provider can "load" it?

Completely clean scans so no Trojans etc. In fact, with email, I get zero spam for example so I reckon I am pretty well set up and protected. Have phishing on internet sites etc. So how come my useage is supposed to have increased by 75% of a GB in a 3 week period since I changed. Not just once I should add. Just weird.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #214500 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer question
It is extremely rare for an ISP to overcharge their customers DiDi. Not to say it couldn't happen, but generally the hardware which records data usage is accurate right down to the last byte, so you shouldn't have any worries.

I would be asking some questions:

- Do you watch any streaming video at all e.g. YouTube, TVNZ Video on Demand, TV3 News Clips etc?

All of these use a lot of data so you can run up a big total in a very short time.

- How much are you paying for excess usage?

If it's more than $2 per GB then you are with the wrong ISP or on the wrong plan.

Some ISPs charge as little as 80c per GB, with the average being around $1 or $1.50 per GB. In which case, 3/4 of a GB is hardly too much to worry about if it has taken 3 weeks for you to reach this figure. It will only add $1 or so to your monthly bill so long as you are signed up with a decent ISP on an appropriate plan.

HTH,

Grant.

More
13 years 10 months ago #214537 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Computer question
Shush Grant - I haven't been pinged in any way! They say they will slow it down but that hasn't happened either. Perhaps you are right and a vistor to my house who shall remain nameless (grin) has been doing just that while I'm busy! Not really worried about it but the huge increase over my past history had me questioning it. Just an inquiring mind obviously.

More
13 years 10 months ago #214754 by KiwiOverseas
Replied by KiwiOverseas on topic Computer question
Hi - as an infrequent visitor if I may contribute - Grant is correct - the kit that tracks the usage is very accurate, but that's not to say the links between that and the accounting system is always going to be working properly:).

Sometimes account mistakes can be made (it may not happen often, but it does happen). More likely though as Grant says - there may be something, or someone :o , responsible for the increase in traffic. One of my bug bears are applications that are automatically programmed to download updates or send status reports, stuff like that. For virus and spyware programmes I don't mind - but I don't see any point in the microsoft office update engine, or adobe acrobat, etc - connecting to the internet every other day to check for updates. Most of these applications can be adjusted to so that they don't check automatically - or the time period can be adjusted. For some of them, however, you can't.

good luck.

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

More
13 years 10 months ago #214791 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Computer question
I must say Didi, when I first got broadband, I used up three quarters of a GB in my first month. In my second month the rep rang me and said "did you know you're going to go over 1GB in just two weeks, do you want me to up your GB? :D I never seem to be online much, but I am and it's so easy for someone like me ... I imagine others could be sucked in too!

More
13 years 10 months ago #215194 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Computer question
You're probably right PG with my facination for things like the Greater Auckland Commission, the Retirement Code of Conduct. Easy to download 500KB things without a big issue because it is fast and I want to know!

Just had a friend change back to Telecom as he has had so many problems with Vodafone. Originally with ihug as I was. Actually rang me raving about the new Sky thing (whatever) to which I happily replied "I don't have Sky...do not want Sky and won't ever get SKY" I used to have it and can't see the point of paying that amount of money out each month unless you need to get just a connection so you can get a channel in the first place, as is happening in rural NZ.

More
13 years 10 months ago #215399 by KiwiWill
Replied by KiwiWill on topic Computer question
Another thing to watch if you're getting near your usage limit is Google Earth. It's great and all, but pulls down loads of data in the process.

More
13 years 10 months ago #215405 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Computer question
I loved google earth while in town on BB, get nice shots of the area I would be going hunting in, locate clearings, look at sunshine and where hills shadow things, places anmals would be likely to lie up during the heat of the day and where they would likely feed :D

Great programme... and then of course... there's the rubbernecking at the big mansions in beverly hills hoping a busty celeb might be having an Opps moment with her dress or be getting an all over tan when the satelite goes over :D :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds