How stupid people can be - obese dogs

More
13 years 11 months ago #13831 by reggit
www.stuff.co.nz/4637282a11.html

For goodness sake, anyone with eyes could see these dogs were overweight and it will have taken some time for them to get to this state. What were the owners thinking?? [:(!]

Poor dog on the left looks like someone has attached the wrong head to a larger body :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #213038 by devan
Wonder what the owners looked like if they thought it was acceptable for their pets to be that fat.....blardy twats [}:)]

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 11 months ago #213040 by reggit
Wonder (if they have kids) what size their kids are...I know my MIL's last cat was hugely obese, they used to feed it massive servings of whatever they were eating for their meal. She is also an overfeeder of sweet sugary things to her nephews when their mum is not around...I think she thinks she is securing their affections by spoiling them with food [xx(]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 10 months ago #213055 by eelcat
good grief that is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! we have just got a second Lhasa Apso, the brother of our first and we were told before we collected him that he was a bit fat (he had been fostered in Auckland for 6 weeks) but in comparison our boy is svelte. That level of obesity is just plain cruel.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 10 months ago #213065 by Pumpkingirl

devan;187333 wrote: Wonder what the owners looked like if they thought it was acceptable for their pets to be that fat.....blardy twats [}:)]

Um, well I'm pretty rotund to say the least, but I only have one rotund pet (George the cat, who has been on multiple diets and never lost a gram).

I had an elderly friend whose dog (Joss) should have weighed about 12kg but weighed 20kg, despite me buying her the right food to feed Joss, and taking Joss for a walk every day. Joss would run around for hours and still never lose any weight.

My friend's whole life was her dog and her way of expressing love and affection was to feed her. Despite lectures by me and multiple vets and her family, nothing changed this. Joss eventually had to be put down due to pancreatic failure at the age of 10, almost certainly caused by her weight and bad diet.

So while it is terrible, I can see how it can happen. I'll bet you money I don't have that the owners of these dogs were lonely, elderly and almost certainly women.

More
13 years 10 months ago #213073 by devan
ok i understand that....but then they surrendered them to the spca cos they couldn't look after them anymore??????? That doesn't signal loving devoted owners to me

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

• chooky
13 years 10 months ago #213076 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic How stupid people can be - obese dogs
I'd bet that as well PG - and I would say that chocolate biscuits featured in the diet as well .
It is mind boggling how a dog could survive being that size. Imagine the strain on the poor wee (or not so wee!!) things joints. Hope the SPCA release updates on the diet progress.

More
13 years 10 months ago #213084 by Pumpkingirl

devan;187370 wrote: ok i understand that....but then they surrendered them to the spca cos they couldn't look after them anymore??????? That doesn't signal loving devoted owners to me

My elderly friend had to give up her dog when she had a stroke and had to go into a home. It was terrible for both her and Joss.

And the most heart-breaking thing I've ever witnessed was an elderly woman who was having to move in with her family because she couldn't afford to live on her own any more. She came in with her JR to the SPCA counter and stood there crying for about 20 minutes before she could get out the words "I have to give up my dog" - the house she was moving into was a rental and no dogs were allowed.

The dog was 15 years old and a real little sweetie. Bob Kerridge was out of his office in about 2 seconds flat and took the dog home himself.

I'm not defending the size of these dogs, it is terrible, I'm just saying that sometimes loving devoted owners have to make terrible decisions about their pets and at least these people took them somewhere safe, where they will cared for and loved.

Lots of slim owners starve their pets and dump them on the street or out in the bush or throw them off a bridge in a sack. It has nothing to do with size, weight or look of the owner or dog and everything to do with a lack of brain cells, compassion and responsibility.

More
13 years 10 months ago #213096 by oskatd
Blimey, they look they have had air pumped into them. Poor things. I guess they should be grateful that their owner gave them up when they did - before they died from their fatness.

More
13 years 10 months ago #213099 by Ghilly
Bria is part Blue Heeler, she is driven by food. She will do anything you ask of her if she knows there is a snack in the offering. However! She doesn't get that many human treats, she doesn't get that many dog treats either now.
When we got back from England after three months, she was like a walking carpet roll. If she had the chance, she'd eat until she popped.

We were reprimanded by a visitor a while back because she thought we weren't feeding Bria and Pilot enough. She said they should get around 12 tux biscuits a feed (twice a day). Now, looking at Bria and Pilot, they are the right weight for their size. Glossy, soft coats, bright eyes and full of energy. Each morning, Bria gets three tux biscuits and Pilot four. In the evening Bria gets two tux and a chunk of dog roll and Pilot gets three tux and a chunk of dog roll.

The visitor had a large pack of dogs, two were very obese, these two were the favourites. The others were younger and hadn't had time to overeat to that extent and didn't live long enough to get fat. (They were shot for killing sheep).

People are always commenting on how well our dogs look and are surprised when they hear what they are fed.
They sometimes get leftovers but when they do, it is balanced out by cutting out a tux or two.

The vets are always happy with them, they weigh just what they should for their body size.

I know it's tempting to hand over little tidbits from your plate, Ooooh those eyes, the licking of the lips and that eternal look of hope but we don't want them begging at every meal time so they never get fed from the plate.

Bria being an opportunist is always on the look out for unguarded food.

We had a woman come to visit. She sat on the couch with a biscuit in one hand, cup of tea in the other. She was talking away, waving the hand with the biscuit in it around carelessly. Bria trotted past her and out the sliding door into the back yard and the woman went to take a bit of the biscuit. It was gone. She never felt a thing but Bria had whisked it away and eaten it before the woman knew what had happened.

I think all dogs are opportunists and if they are offered a little something, they'll take it! Mind you, on saying that, who was it who posted here just the other day about their dog guarding a bag of brisket bones and hadn't helped themselves at all?

I reckon, puppies, as soon as they discover their reflection in a window or a mirror, practise the looks they can manage while we are out. Then when we get home and sit down to dinner they use their most practised pathetic look, eyes looking hopeful and pleading, ears set just so, maybe a little drool appearing. Bria isn't so subtle, she'll sit there with those bat ears of hers pointing straight up, licking her lips and whining through her nose. Hers is not so much a pathetic look, more a demanding and accusatory look that she hasn't been offered anything.

There are a few over large dogs walked around here. One looks like it may have been a working dog in it's younger years and is now so fat it waddles.

I also know of a cat so fat it can't clean it's back end. The owners know it is fat but once again, there are two of them and the cat manages to get two feeds by going first to one person, then pleading starvation with the other. It's just a lack of organisation on their part. I think,last time I heard, it was on diet biscuits.

The SPCA is all quick and ready to pounce on undernourished dogs but not the ones they see wandering about obviously well overweight. They usually have their owner attached to a line behind them,.... or in front of them if they are so fat they can barely waddle.

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #213100 by devan
There was a cat on that animal rescue a while back that was huge and the owner surrendered it cos they couldn't afford to keep it, the poor cat ended up being put down because it missed its owner so much it wouldn't eat! They rang the owner and she agreed with it being put down. What a f*cken miserable b*tch! if i had a cat that was missing me so much that it wouldn't eat, i'd go get the poor thing back. How much does it cost to feed a cat for goodness sake! esp if you're not overfeeding it... say $5 a week. Man if i could have got my hands on her!!!!! [:(!]
Sorry i'm sounding a bit harsh here but i also would have found a rental property that allowed my elderly parent to keep their dog or tried to negotiate with the landlord, thats just cruel

More
13 years 10 months ago #213122 by Pumpkingirl
Actually, I think that is really harsh Devan. Do you honestly think that's what the woman (or her family) wanted? They were all devastated, but sometimes life is hard and you have to do things you wouldn't normally want to do - in this case, their home and (I presume) the well-being of the owner came first.

More
13 years 10 months ago #213184 by Louise W
Guess what? Bert & Ernie have a BLOG which you can bookmark if you want to keep track of their progress. Sounds like TV1's 'Close Up' is going to follow them too :)

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
13 years 10 months ago #213188 by rob
is it any surprise that this goes on with animals, look at a lot of people out there they are just plain obese and the next thing they are in hospital having operations to staple their stomachs. someone must be feeding these people they dont feed themselves, at least you cannot blame the animals, but i could sure slap the owners

Rob

More
13 years 10 months ago #213212 by Jan
The biggest crime is calling the two dogs Bert and Ernie!! gawd I hate the muppets.[xx(]

On a more serious note though we had friends who lived on a farm. They had a JR who was certainly not overfed or under exercised...but he was quite portly. He would run all over the place chasing his ball and follow the guys bringing the cows in...so why was he on the large side....

Well the little ratbag had a passion for rabbits. Any opportunity he would slink off and go rabbit hunting by himself and have feast. [}:)]

Sometimes things are not as they seem...

Jan

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds