Global Warming

More
13 years 11 months ago #13786 by DiDi
Global Warming was created by DiDi
Just in case anyone else is interested, I have just read an article from the New Zealand Centre for Political Research www.nzcpr.com under Where is the Evidence?

Following that, if you can find your way into the Debating Chamber and down to The Lighter Side of Life - many of the jokes had me hooting with laughter. Enjoy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #212355 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Global Warming
I read a couple of the cooments Didi.
A bit like the falacy that we needed to drink 8 glasses of water per day to be healthy, no-one ever knew how big those glasses should be and it was found to have no scientific evidence behind it, but because "we" were told, some believed. I have trouble drinking one, much prefer milk. :D

More
13 years 11 months ago #212398 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Global Warming
Do you guys in the South Island get TV3 News? There was a section on the news tonight about the massive Wind farm that Meridian have planned and the people are fighting it based on flawed science. This "stuff" really interests me. Am I (and Pru) alone?

More
13 years 11 months ago #212658 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Global Warming
I saw that, too. The Otago wind farm, supposed to be the largest in the southern hemisphere once done, etc. I was a bit bemused about the whole global warming aspect to the piece in the news, tho'. I though the whole issue of using wind farms was relying on renewable resources and not fossil fuels, not that wind farms contribute/don't contribute to 'fixing global warming'...

I would also like to know how do they know that the cows/sheep in that highly unpopulated area are going to find the windfarm an eyesore...just how many cattle/sheep did they actually survey??? ;)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 11 months ago #213217 by KiwiWill
Replied by KiwiWill on topic Global Warming
Glad to see a healthy dose of AGW scepticism on the forum.
This is something I've been following for some time. Considering the science is supposed to settled, there are a lot of questions being asked.
See antigreen.blogspot.com/ and www.climate-resistance.org/ and NZ's own www.climatescience.org.nz/

• Jack
13 years 11 months ago #213223 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Global Warming
Gidday

Science is a funny stuf Eh!

We are supposed to be killing the planet by creating too much CO2 in the atmosphere and causing the place to heat up too much. Not supposed to be a natural thing because it is modern man who is the cause.

Yeah Right.

Who caused it way back then www.odt.co.nz/the-regions/north-otago/15...039s-greenhouse-past

More
13 years 11 months ago #213227 by DiDi
KiwiWill - thanks for those references. The words that stood out immediately were "one the the greatest Hoaxes in modern history".

Those of you with children at school (mine are past it) can you tell me if Al Gore's book/film is being used in New Zealand classrooms and at what level? I heard it was but need to know. Many thanks.

More
13 years 11 months ago #213236 by NZ Appaloosas
Not at the high school level, or at least my daughter hasn't mentioned it.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

• Jack
13 years 11 months ago #213244 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Global Warming
Gidday

Well I was taught about global warming way back in the arly 50's. They showed us how the globe keeps warming up then cooling down over hundreds of years.

When are they going to ban volcanoes cos they fart out huge amounts of CO2

More
13 years 11 months ago #213251 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Global Warming
And kill off all the animals on the African plains, cause they must be dangerous to the atmosphere, surely?

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
13 years 11 months ago #213252 by DiDi
Can you ask her please Diane. Ta

More
13 years 11 months ago #213257 by NZ Appaloosas
Will do. I'm trying to think of who I know that has kids in the lower grades that can be asked...

Diane

More
13 years 11 months ago #213270 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Global Warming
In my son's high school sociology class (year 12) it has been referenced but not viewed. The context was global warming and political bias. They looked at both sides briefly, global warming v. natural climate change, but mostly it was how politics influence people and how politicians use these types of things.

Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 11 months ago #213279 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Global Warming
Andrea that would be very interesting!!!!how politicians use it LOL

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 11 months ago #213281 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Global Warming
None of my three kids have viewed Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth' at school, not primary, not intermediate and not high school, either.

So we hired it and watched it and I was deeply impressed.

Of course it is more convenient to ignore what's happening and it is VERY easy to ignore it in NZ where the sky is still clear (on a sunny day).

We'll get used to the look of a windfarm on that mountain ridge in Otago just as we got used to the look of the canals for the hydro scheme, Lake Dunstan etc.

I bet that if a nuclear power plant or a coal fired power plant was to be built instead in that area, people there would be up in arms, too. At least a wind farm doesn't have emissions.

There is no way things can be done so they please everyone.

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds