grey dust everywhere

More
13 years 11 months ago #13783 by Hestia
grey dust everywhere was created by Hestia
I get extreme amount of dust everywhere in the house.I think it is because of that the fireplace is going all the time and also during the extreme dry season we had over x-mas.fireplace dust is grey and very light.dust from neighbours race is yellow as in sand.(full speed on farmbike and pas our house, big dust cloud, heaps worse during last summer)husband says it is the dogs that spread the dust thru the house and that fireplace has nothing to do with it!I know what the dogs produce since that is what is under their dog beds in the dog run, heavy dust and totally different color.other people with fireplaces that also get this grey dust and do not have dogs??dogs are now blamed for making the vacuum cleaner to pack up!mumble mumble mumble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #212327 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic grey dust everywhere
No, the dogs wouldnt be bringing in that fine dust. Most of our dust is caused by the fireplace OR the tanker track next door...

More
13 years 11 months ago #212328 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic grey dust everywhere
I tried to tell him that dust on top shelf, 2 meters up is NOT the dogs, but he does not listen.

More
13 years 11 months ago #212340 by devan
Replied by devan on topic grey dust everywhere
Definately the fire place! He obviously doesn't like the dogs inside ah?
I vacum and dust every 2nd day cos of the dust from the fireplace, don't have to do it anywhere near as much in summer

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 11 months ago #212345 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic grey dust everywhere
Definitely the fire place, seconded. Or thirded? 8 )

We vacuum every second day and sweep every day. The dogs bring in a wee bit of dirt on their paws (whatever doesn't get wiped off when they enter), but we bring in far more in the way of bits of hay stuck on socks and in pant cuffs. THAT'S the biggest nuisance to me, as it gets everywhere, and gets brought in twice a day. Let's face it - winter is messy.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 11 months ago #212349 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic grey dust everywhere
muddy paws and dog fluff on carpet, yes.but not guilty of grey dust everywhere.combination of HRV/DVS and leaky fireplace makes it even worse??

More
13 years 11 months ago #212351 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic grey dust everywhere
forth-ed, or whatever, sounds like ash to me.

I don't think our vacuum has been running for the past 3 or 4 months tho :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 11 months ago #212403 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic grey dust everywhere
we too have an inordinate amount of dust. We live in a garage with the (now) 4 dogs but I can't understand where it all comes from. In the summer our neighbour was building his 5m high bank but with all the rain we have had the dust is no longer an issue. We don't have a fire in the garage but we do have dust - I just tend to ignore what I can and forget about what I can't

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 11 months ago #212464 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic grey dust everywhere
Dogs have nothing to do with it. I will not have dogs in the house but the winter months are the dustiest of the year - the fire. A fine grey dust that settles everywhere. However, downstairs there is a different type of dust and that is pulverised mud. It is a dark grey/brown colour and becomes very fine. In this weather there is no getting away from it - I drag it in, the cats drag it in, it dries and then becomes dust. When I win Lotto I'm having the house surrounded with concrete :D

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 11 months ago #212468 by Angie
Replied by Angie on topic grey dust everywhere
I once read something along the lines that "having a house in the country creates a constant battle to keep the country out of the house" - only the actual phrase was more eloquent and cleverer than that one.

But yes - we have the grey dust too (our fire never really goes out over the winter months). Don't use a damp cloth on it - just seems to make it worse - I flick it off the appliances and furniture with a dry rag and then just vaccuum when I get around to it as it's not that visible once it's off the furniture and on the carpet.

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

More
13 years 11 months ago #212501 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic grey dust everywhere
My dog's room gets very very dusty, even up to the lightshade. He seems to spend all night removing all the mud he's picked up during the day and turning it into fine dust. I don't know how he does that.

But for the rest of the house, definitely the fireplace, and that's grey dust. Dog's dust is clay colour.

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds