Just back from the Disputes Tribunal

More
15 years 11 months ago #13747 by ronnie
And I won my case :D

Bought some possum skins on trademe, and they arrived as a box of scrap - not the full skins as advertised.

I sent them straight back and asked for a refund as she had sent them with a 100% money back guarantee. Never heard from her again.

Was an interesting experience. The seller never bothered to show up, send a letter, or ring to talk to the referee.

With everything documented, there was never a doubt I would win my case, now to get my actual money back........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211693 by sod
thats great hope you get it all

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 11 months ago #211714 by eelcat
well done

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
15 years 11 months ago #211720 by max2
Well Done.

What is the next step to recover your funds? I have heard all sorts of assets being taken etc, but not anyone who personally has had to go down that path with the court officer...

More
15 years 11 months ago #211722 by Simkin
Hi Ronnie,

well done and good on you!

However, winning is one thing, getting the money another. You might have to use a debt collection agency.

One of our sons once bought an MP3 player from Trademe. It arrived with Chinese stamps directly from China and did not work. No chance of recovering money.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211729 by DiDi
I thought (in my ignorance) that anyone dealing on Trade Me had to have a bank account in NZ. Is there no way of getting their Bank Account frozen? Imagine how much that would hurt them. Just a thought.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211740 by Simkin
Hi Didi,

they had an account in NZ but that was closed and they were operating with a different account. Apart from that - it takes months to get an appointment at the dispute's tribunal, then a ruling is made and then you have to try to get your money. This gives the badies plenty of time to start trading with a virgin user id, build up some positive feedback and then do the same thing again.

And one of the things that went wrong on my son's part - the seller posted positive feedback when they got the money but long before the goods arrived here. My son posted positive feedback by mistake when the email about 'feedback posted' arrived.

One thing I now always watch out for when buying something on trademe is spelling. If the person can't spell English I only buy it if I can pick up the item and pay cash AFTER seeing the item.

Another one is 'Seller does not allow pick-ups'. That gets my alarm bells ringing.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211759 by ronnie
She has been ordered to pay me within 28 days. After that, I have to ring the Office and get the next step moving (assuming she doesn't pay). This trade goes back to February. I did place a red on her feedback and an explanation, but that had no effect either.
I doubt I will ever see my money either, but at least I have tried.
I will persue it as far as I can, (without it costing me any more) and chalk another one up to experience.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211772 by Simkin
Hi Ronnie,

as long as her whereabouts are known and are in NZ you do have a realistic chance of getting your money back.

However, with a trader in China who has accomplices in NZ (providing a temporary account) things are very different. And they do it again and again and again.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211777 by oskatd
Good for you, Ronnie!

Have to say sellers that don't allow pick ups make me wonder too....

More
15 years 11 months ago #211785 by Dream Weaver
Good on you. I hope that yo0u do get your money back. People like her should be banned from TM, I suppose that she could join again under another name though. Touch wood all I have dealt with using TM have been very good.

More
15 years 11 months ago #211866 by Clods
With no pick ups - I am sometimes worried about who is going to turn up at my house - so I would arrange to meet somewhere or take to them rather than them coming here and seeing what else we've got they might like.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
15 years 11 months ago #211939 by Simkin
Hi Clods,

fair enough. Depends on where and how you live and what kind of things you sell. I wouldn't feel comfortable either, selling fence posts or similar from an LSB. I also always sell my chooks and chicks from our place in town (not through Trademe, though).

But having been burnt before (not me personally but son) I just give those ones a miss these days.

More
15 years 11 months ago #212358 by Giddyup
There's all sorts of losers on Trade Me these days looking for a quick buck.

We've been stung before, too

I would log on with a friends account, do a deal with them stating you can only pick up. Then grab them and hold them hostage til you get your money. :D

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds