Freeview vs Sky

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211443 by Llew
Replied by Llew on topic Freeview vs Sky

TVNZ and Sky are actually at loggerheads presently over the Prime issue [B)]

That reminds me - Prime play Dr Who in (drumroll) primetime & it's their biggest rating show.

TVNZ buy Torchwood (highly regarded Dr WHo spinoff - it's an anagram of Doctor WHo even), shelve it for more than a year, and then finally play it at what, 10.30pm?

I don't get it (and neither do TVNZ obviously).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211477 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Freeview vs Sky

Prim;185619 wrote: You don't need to have a set top box for Freeview ...

You can get a - correct me, b/c I'll get it wrong - digital whodakythingiemebob for approx $272 which you plug in to your computer (well, your Mac anyway) and TV (or is it sat?) aerial and through which you can then receive (and record) FreeView.

Yes, that's quite right Prim. It's called a TV Tuner card, and you can get different versions for:

- Analogue TV (VHF or UHF)
- DVB-T (FreeView Terrestrial)
- DVB-S (FreeView Satellite)

However, the software that comes with many of these cards does not work properly in NZ, and you cannot get the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) without resorting to skullduggery that "scrapes" the programme listings off the various Free-to-Air web sites (TVNZ, TV3 etc). Of course, everytime something is changed on those web sites, the software stops working and you have to wait until the author fixes it again.

This sort of setup involving a HTPC (Home Theatre PC), TV Tuner Card and various cobbled-together software has a very low WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) IMO, and is more likely to get thrown out the window in frustration rather than actually being useful [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

HTPCs are just not there yet in terms of usability due to the various software issues.

- Who really wants to wait for a PC to boot up before they can watch TV?
- And more likely than not, the EPG will have stopped working again, so your recording times and channels will probably be incorrect.

For anybody looking at FreeView, I would wait just a little longer until they have a decent PVR (Personal Video Recorder) available at a reasonable price. There are some early ones starting to appear now for around $600 with a 320GB Hard Disk which will give over 100 Hours of storage.

However, you can bet there will be plenty of bugs to be ironed out with the early versions, so I would wait until there is a FreeView accredited PVR available. This is apparently on track for a late 2008 release.

At that stage, you will have the functionality of MySky, without the monthly sub, albeit with a much poorer choice of channels. Them's the breaks. You pay your money and make your choice :p

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211488 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Freeview vs Sky
Llew see you have great taste too:):):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211491 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic Freeview vs Sky

devan;185596 wrote: I dont have sky but the telephone jackpoint is for the movies you pay for to transmit to you. I know this because my neighbour has sky and that telephone line crashed her phone for 10 days before telecom would come and fix it

I don't think you have to have the line plugged in though, cos we don't and have managed to get the pay for movies.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211493 by GrantK

BillyTheTractor;185679 wrote: I don't think you have to have the line plugged in though, cos we don't and have managed to get the pay for movies.

Yes, you can still order PPV (pay per view) movies but you have to phone Sky to do it, rather than pressing a few buttons on the remote.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211494 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Freeview vs Sky
Blimey, Grant, is there anything you don't know ;)

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211497 by GrantK

oskatd;185682 wrote: Blimey, Grant, is there anything you don't know ;)

Yeah, plenty. That's why I keep my head down during the animal threads [;)]

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211501 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Freeview vs Sky
That must be Inger's dept!

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211503 by hogiehorse
Replied by hogiehorse on topic Freeview vs Sky

GrantK;185595 wrote: Correct, the phone line is only used when you book a movie.

Being a horse racing enthusiast, I have a TAB Account which I can access through Sky on the Trackside Channel (35). I guess this is another use for the phone line! Obviously you need funds in your TAB account but you can just use the various buttons on the remote to do your betting if you so wish. I don't use it now as I prefer the internet if I wish to place a bet. Not a big punter, so the account doesn't get much of a work out[;)][;)]

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

• Jack
14 years 3 weeks ago #211534 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Freeview vs Sky
Gidday

Hey Llew, I don't know where Stratos originates but it has some local stuff, a lot of Aussie stuff and news from everywhere. It is a great view if you want to be kept informed.

Cue comes out of Southland, produced by the free polytech down there. A few things of interest but I do like their Southern Safari which is a local hunting program. And they also have the Beverly Hillbillies.

When there is nothing one anything worth watching I turn to Maori.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211595 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic Freeview vs Sky
Grant we have a hyundi PVR & just love it, just 1 click to record instantly. had it 6 months & no probs as yet.

Like Jack a one of cost suited us & we can always find something to watch on Freeview or else one of the programmes we have recorded onto the hard drive.Exceptionally clear too

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #211599 by GrantK
Yes, Hard Disk PVRs are the way to go. No messing around with Tapes or DVDs, it is so easy and foolproof.

These units are coming down rapidly in price and the best ones are now equipped with a built-in FreeView tuner and EPG (Electronic Programme Guide). Anyone contemplating buying one should look out for those two features, and preferably also go for something that is FreeView Accredited.

This is your guarantee that it will plug and play with our FreeView TV system in NZ.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds