Hey Kate trouble staying logged on.

More
13 years 11 months ago #13714 by mikethebike
Hi kate i have noticed that if i leave the pc for a few minits or click the back button the site seems to log me out is there some sort of time out thingy going on? or am i just paranoid??

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #211059 by Kiwi303
Paranoia... remember it's not being Paranoid if the REALLY ARE out to get you.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 11 months ago #211065 by GrantK

mikethebike;185211 wrote: Hi kate i have noticed that if i leave the pc for a few minits or click the back button the site seems to log me out is there some sort of time out thingy going on? or am i just paranoid??

Something weird is going on with your browser or PC Mike.

I leave both my PCs logged in to LSB permanently, and the only times I have ever been logged out since joining in Jan 2007 are as follows:

- When I deleted the Cookies saved by my browser

- When I upgraded from Internet Explorer to Firefox [8D]

Otherwise, both of my PCs stay logged in to LSB even when switched off.

You should never have to Log In again unless one of the events above occurs, or if something else affects your saved cookies.

Maybe you have an anti-spyware program that clears all the cookies periodically? Cookies are quite benign, and there is no need to delete them unless you want to remove all traces of your internet activities e.g. if you are selling the PC or Hard Drive to someone else.

Hopefully one of these ideas will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Grant.

More
13 years 11 months ago #211074 by NZ Appaloosas
You have to make sure the "remember me" spot has been ticked. Deleting cookies, however, unticks that box.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 11 months ago #211076 by kate
Hmm.....everything seems normal here. Anyone else having a problem?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 11 months ago #211078 by mikethebike
Hey Grant yep thats it, I use firefox and cookies are deleted whenever i log off the internet so that accounts for most of it and my browser does do odd things at times which is the reason why i binned explorer. I would have replied sooner but i had to log in again DOH!!! puter needs a clean up me thinks, brought it from UK so im on my third broadband provider and some of the old providers software is imposible to get rid of, so that every now and then the old pc trys to connect to my old provider when this one goes down which is once or twice a week so i have to reboot and reinstall the modem. which is bloody irritating,
Cheers for the input all the same.

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
13 years 11 months ago #211079 by mikethebike
Hey and guess what when i went to post that last bit it told me i wasnt logged in again DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
13 years 11 months ago #211081 by GrantK

mikethebike;185234 wrote: ...puter needs a clean up me thinks, brought it from UK so im on my third broadband provider and some of the old providers software is imposible to get rid of, so that every now and then the old pc trys to connect to my old provider when this one goes down which is once or twice a week so i have to reboot and reinstall the modem. which is bloody irritating...

mikethebike;185235 wrote: Hey and guess what when i went to post that last bit it told me i wasnt logged in again DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it's time for a reformat and reinstall of Windows Mike. Just make sure to back up all your data first ;)

More
13 years 11 months ago #211093 by DiDi
So Grant... when AVG tells me and records that I have 134 warnings and I look into it and discover they are all cookies - why are they warning me? I do a cookie delete at least once a week and know I have to log in again. At least I now know what my login name is so not problem... and I don't log out either so just in case it shows I am here 24/7! I'm not! Honest!

More
13 years 11 months ago #211103 by GrantK

DiDi;185250 wrote: So Grant... when AVG tells me and records that I have 134 warnings and I look into it and discover they are all cookies - why are they warning me?

This sort of warning is for the paranoid among us who don't want to leave any traces of their internet activity. Maybe they have something to hide or are just privacy fanatics, I don't know. It takes all sorts I suppose, but personally, I never delete the Cookies unless I am wiping the entire contents of a Hard Drive. Wait -- I just remembered one other reason I had to delete cookies a few months back:

- An internet provider's web site was remembering my Login and Password incorrectly, and the only way to cure it was to delete all my cookies. This has only happened once or twice in the past several years.

Another possibility is that the writers of AVG want to convince you of the worth of their program by having it do something "useful" :confused:

A good example of this is my sister who wondered why her computer was so slow. I asked her to show me the problems she was having, and it turned out she was running a full spyware scan every time before logging in to do internet banking. Of course it would come up with cookie warnings each time and then she would delete them.

My sister was convinced that something was wrong with her PC because it kept getting more cookies each day. I had to explain to her that most web sites do that as a way of recording the preferences of individual users, and that there is no harm done, as cookies are a simple text file [:I]

When I looked further, my sister had Norton Anti-virus as well as 2 other Spyware Scanners and AV programs running. As a result, her PC ran like a kayak through molasses so I uninstalled all the AV/Spyware scanners and she couldn't believe how much faster it was. Since that time, she has never had any further problems with speed.

DiDi;185250 wrote: I do a cookie delete at least once a week and know I have to log in again.

Why do you do this? It isn't necessary!

More
13 years 11 months ago #211178 by NZ Appaloosas
I don't like AVG. I've been using Avira for around 10 years, and have no problems.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds