Any Plumbers out there??

More
13 years 11 months ago #13686 by L Plates
This may seem a bit of a daft question - but does anyone know how to lift the lid off a a Toto toilet cystern??[:I]

We had a bad storm which resulted in a power cut yesterday - and yes we had someone staying over. We were only able to flush the toilet once and then it would not refill as the pump wouldn't work because of the power cut,[xx(] so we thought we can fill it ourselves as we had access to plenty of water (swimming pool) . But do you think we could take the lid off :confused:

In the middle of the lid is a circular button to press to flush, It is divided into two parts -the big part does the full flush and the small part does the half flush. It was something connected to this circular button that prevented the lid from being lifted up.

Is there a technique to lifting the lid or maybe you just can't?????

TIA

LP

Tyke Dorpers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #210640 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Any Plumbers out there??
Check if there is a ring around that button, it may be that you need to unscrew the ring, then the lid comes off.
Or sometimes there are two small screws at each side of the cistern, holding lid to tank.

Also you don't need to pour the water into the cistern to flush it, just pour it into the bowl. After all, that is what the cistern does, it pours the water into the bowl.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 11 months ago #210644 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Any Plumbers out there??
The faster that you pour the water into the toilet bowl then the better the flush will work. So use a bucket rather than a bottle ....

• Jack
13 years 11 months ago #210654 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Any Plumbers out there??
Gidday

A toilet is actually specifially designed to be flushed and you will never get as good a flush using a bucket.

All the cysterns I have ever had anything to do with just lift up. You may need to carefully prise it up at the sides. The buttons in the middle will either still just sit ther when the lid is lifted or actually come up with it if the are just buttons to depress the mechanism below.

So I suggest to just carfully try prising the side whilst watching just where it lifts.

More
13 years 11 months ago #210700 by L Plates
Replied by L Plates on topic Any Plumbers out there??
Thanks for all your replies.

The lid is not screwed down as we could lift it a few centimetres. There is a metal ring around the bits that you press and although we could move it round it didn't appear to unscrew anything. The push down bits are connected to the workings on the inside. Maybe we should try and prise the metal ring off - although I don't want to end up breaking something.

I agree Jack that the toilet will flush better using the cystern rather than a bucket and thats why I wanted to fill the cystern - particularly as we have a visitor.

At the moment everything is ok as the power is back on but it would be usefull to have the problem figured out for future power cuts.

Cheers
LP

Tyke Dorpers

More
13 years 11 months ago #210702 by Pumpkingirl
Would there be clips on the inside L Plates? So you lift the lid like you do with a car bonnet, then use your fingers to press/squish the clips so it pops off?

More
13 years 11 months ago #210710 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Any Plumbers out there??
I think Toto is a Placemakers brand. Perhaps you could ring them tomorrow and ask? but don't expect a sensible answer[}:)] - their sales staff are not known for actually knowing how these things work.
Other than that, perhaps ring a friendly plumber and ask him.

More
13 years 11 months ago #210719 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Any Plumbers out there??
Pull out the flush buttons and undo the securing screw below.
You should be able to flick them out with your fingernail.
Also it is better to fill the cistern that to throw a bucket of water down the pan. The pan is designed to create the needed "vortex" to remove the contents.

Anything else while I am paying attention????

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 11 months ago #210722 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Any Plumbers out there??
Yep - my loo, after flushing, is not shutting off completely and a very small amount of water is running down the inside back of the bowl. What am I looking for to check and stop it? I thankfully have no shortage of water but now I am on a pump instead of gravity feed, I need to sort it out. Thanks.

More
13 years 11 months ago #210723 by Pumpkingirl

DiDi;184847 wrote: Yep - my loo, after flushing, is not shutting off completely and a very small amount of water is running down the inside back of the bowl. What am I looking for to check and stop it? I thankfully have no shortage of water but now I am on a pump instead of gravity feed, I need to sort it out. Thanks.

That can be caused by the mechanism in the cistern not going all the way down like it should Didi, leaving the tap a little bit "on" (hence the water running down the back).

If you lift the top off, you should seen an "arm". Right under where the button that you push to flush, and attached to that arm, will be a little mechanism that you need to push down to stop the water running.

If you're on bore water, sometimes minerals can make that mechanism a little stiff, sometimes it might be the lid is just a bit wonky, so the buttons aren't allowing it to work properly.

With Mum and Dad's one, sometimes you just lift the cistern lid and put it down again, othertimes you have to push the mechanism up and down so 'crud' rubs off and it works smoothly, before replacing the lid.

More
13 years 11 months ago #210724 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Any Plumbers out there??
Also feel for the seal in the bottom of the cistern. Flush it and have your fingers ready to feel if any matter has gotten lodged under it. This will cause the dribble. Easy to fix by rubbing round the wasgher and it's bed.
Sometimes the washer / seal needs turning over as ut gets indented by the plunger. Not a long term solutions but wll save you money for a while.

If it is the flush botton not sitting down hard enough, add a heavy nut, bolt or washer with a twist tie or similar. This will also help you manage a controlled flush by allowing you to hold the button part way just to flush the little or more as you need.
Hope this makes sense.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 11 months ago #210858 by Youngfarmer

spoook;184850 wrote: Sometimes the washer / seal needs turning over as ut gets indented by the plunger. Not a long term solutions but wll save you money for a while.

this washer is pretty cheap if you go to your nearest store with plumbing gear.
it is pretty easy to replace as long as you remember how it came out, but not overly too much to it.
Did you get the lid off? not 100% sure of the make but have had ones in the past where it is around the buttons that screws off to get the lid off.

Never enough hours in a day:)

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds