Gamo's cfx Kiwi303

More
13 years 11 months ago #13634 by beedee
Gamo's cfx Kiwi303 was created by beedee
I realise I have to take full responsibility and cant wait for the occasional visitations to my place.. the 7 rabbits shot about 4 wks ago have been replaced by 70.
Last night I spied this review on the CFX in the rod and rifle and wonder if this is the machine for me.. it states its good for the LSBer and children.. wot are your thoughts????
AND having seen a stoat or ferret [the little one] which was cheeky enough to be a couple of metres from me for some time, so I realise I have its family to deal with also before I lose hens and quail also

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #209949 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
Has the hunting party from Hamilton been out to visit yet, beedee? :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 11 months ago #209963 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
No and I dont blame them the weather on w/ends hasnt been the best.... even these fat bunnies go inside on wet days. the problem is, that now Ive lost my wandering shooter, who came out many days as he drove by and sat on the decking, the ability to shoot the 200plus grazing at anytime in one shoot is impossible.. so it need a daily popoff.. I can then skin or is that de skin and the cats can live on wabbit.
Not one blade of grass that hasnt seen a cows mouth in over 2mths is 1/4inch high cos of these rabbits.. its like having another 4 cows on the property.. knowing how much 20 caged bunnies eat.
I used to be the greatest of dart players [when intoxicated] so heck I surely should be able to get a bunn at least once a day when soberest.. and this one is silent.. not that I know if all air rifles are silent.. the rest of the data sounds so great, but since I havent a clue really what it sez except the words 'powerful and accurate when it comes out of the box'.... so you see I dont even have to aim, going by that statement... and whatever a creeping trigger is, I m sure I can catch it the only downside according to the reviewer.. so look out Tiggs, we may have to have shoot parties ;)

More
13 years 11 months ago #209968 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
And when Kiwi303 pops in, can he confirm or otherwise if this thing will also kill possums or not -

Then I will know what to go looking for.

Thanks beedee!

More
13 years 11 months ago #209982 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
I don't know the CFX myself, but I do know Gamo, a very reliable brand, known for making robust usable airrifles and air pistols.

Doing a bit of research online, and the reviews of the CFX are pretty good, robust, accurate, and with good downrange performance.

HOWEVER, it is relatively heavy and not well balanced. It has a hollow moulded stock, so theres no real rear weight to balance the long barrel out front, most of the keen guys seem to be filling the rear of the butt with sand, lead shot or a heavy bolt. Not a problem if you aren't carrying it long distances tho.

It chronygraphs as being in the 900 range rather than the claimed 1000. but thats still pretty good. most speed claims for an air rifle are made using the lightest possible available competition ammo, rather than normal stuff the average joe bloggs will pick up cheap.

the .177 is a little small a calibre for true hunting, get the .22 and the extra weight of the projectile will more than compensate for the lost velocity.

16 Kg cocking force, so the muscles will get a workout :D

$494 from www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/Gamo_CFX.htm with no scope, or $599 from gun city in chch (the rip off artists of the NZ gun world) with a scope and laser toy pointer.

from outdoor supplies I'd say get the scope there too www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/Bsa_reddot.htm either a red dot sight for $95, in which case the package costs the same as Gun city, or the next scope down, the 4x20 with mounts for a lot cheaper.

what price was the one you saw? anything under $550 with a good scope on it sounds a good deal, $600 with a scope is pushing it.

All up, if you get the .22 you ought to be able to get those pesky wild bunnys :D

As an immediate, get-rid-of-bunnies-now while you are buying and practicing your shooting on paper before you try it on anything live and woundable, I could ask if there's any chaps from the hunting forum in your area wanting to go bunny hunting?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 11 months ago #209989 by beedee
Thanks that 16 kg I think means Id have to take a vice and the car with tow rope to re straighten it.. and with that inbalance, Id probably shoot my toes off.. obviously I need to have a go.. the article quotes $500 but doesnt say what that includes.
Prim according to the article it will safely kill a rabbit so Im guessing it would do possies also, Id say my rabbits running around are bigger than the possy we have..
K303. I think gun clubs get bored very fast, to shoot here means sitting on a chair on the decking and just waiting for them to hop by, a bit like the side shows at carnivals.. and no fluffy bear to take home as the prize. a one off visitation isnt deterring them.
I do hear guns a popping on the back property every few weeks, but think they just hop over to me, and then go back an hour later.
Might go visit the local gun store and see what they have to offer

More
13 years 11 months ago #210034 by Kiwi303
Whats your background like? Any Al Quaeda connections? criminal convictions for axe murders and serial disembowling rampages?

I'd say a firearms licence and a cheap .22 bolt action would be the way to go. I can't remember if it's $127 or $279 for a licence fee, add a cheap gun rack from Peter from SGRacks for $85 ( www.sgracks.co.nz/index.php?main_page=pr...Path=1&products_id=2 ), plus a Norinco JW15 model chinese knock off of a BRNO .22 from Reloaders supplies in auckland with scope and silencer for $295

for $507 at the 127 licence fee or $659 at $279 fee. plus shipping for the rack and gun.

then you have a .22 which is much more versatile than a air rifle, is silenced so you don't upset your stock, (air rifles make a solid "whump" noise as the spring compresses the air when firing, a silenced .22 is acutally quieter than a air rifle) and if deer start wandering in you can get a real rifle in a centrefire calibre to get venison too :D

You shouldn't have many problems getting the licence if your record is clean, just don't mention the scoundrelly cad that made your grandaughter cry when you're having your interview with the arms officer, and you should be sweet ;) lol.

ask the gun shop what the licence fee currently is while you're in there browsing, they'll know. and see what .22 packages they have.

More
13 years 11 months ago #210090 by beedee
OhhhhK303... your mind is wandering.. No Ive had the big police check when I started working for them, so think I pass that bit.. as for deer, yes there are two deer farms very close by.. but really I only want it here as pasture management, and to removed those bobbing tails on the landscape.. and since they are as close as a couple of metres when Im feeding out, and my animals are used to the big bangs from the neighbours bunny shoots. I dont think we shall have stampeding animals as a problem... the only grandchild is my daughters Mouse the cat and he has no emotions from me after biting me last year and costing a few $$$ for treatment

More
13 years 11 months ago #210105 by Kiwi303
hmmm working for the police? well if you can get a couple of officers as your referees on a licence application I really don't see any problems at all :D

I think the .22lr would solve all your problems :D and is big enough to put down a sheep or a goat or even a cow if one breaks it's leg or otherwise needs euthanasia.

If they're as close as a few metres, you don't need a scope, and if you don't have stampedes, no need for a silencer :D reloaders have the JW15 bare with iron sights for $199 :D even cheaper now

More
13 years 11 months ago #210110 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
Beedee, we would love to come over and deal to your bunnies...run out of pests to pick off here[:I] and we'de be happy to let you try out out air guns to see how you get on with them. Would have to be a weekend. Meself is just a novice who needs the practice and have a basic .77 air rifle with optical sight and one with a scope.. but sheddweller is a crack shot and has one of those high powered air rifles that'll take any small critter out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 11 months ago #210135 by beedee
B thanks I work w/end which makes it difficult... and the thought of you coming a good 100k and the petrol involved etc. right now with all the meal I have to mix and then feed out, I barely have 15 mins in the morn free to even have a go.. apart from show the boundaries and where the gates are to enter the neighbours.. the wabbits run over to his, but he is happy for the demise also... The young boy that he organised came once and never came back despite the 7 rabbits in the half hour.. and the taking of the tails as his mother makes cat toys out of them..... and he is only 4 k down the road.
I am more than happy to pay for the shot/bullets, but would find the petrol expense a little much after a while.. and certainly dont expect you to fund the trip..
they are just eating my grass and its not fair.. today we stood out on the road for 40 mins while the cows ate the long acre.. all cos of those rabbits eating the bovine grass.. so I need to do sumfink fast.. a good 50 plus out grazing this avo after I had left the last post on here and I only have 10 acres
Of course we could blame fencer man he was coming here about 4 yrs ago!!!!!!!!

More
13 years 11 months ago #210534 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
Hi Beedee

I've been in Tazmania for the last 2 weeks, and now back so we can organise a little expedition soon.

I have a .22 CFX, so I'll bring it and you can have a play. They are heavy, but my 15 yr old daughter can cock it, shoot it, and go get the bunny as well.

Also have a .22lr, which although is fairly quiet, all the rabbits will dive for cover once you fire.

You'll see the range of air rifles we have when we come, some are simple spring air rifle (both the break barrel and the underlever type), some run on CO2, which run 100 shots, others with hand pumps which run more powerful 30 shots, and others which fill from a dive bottle and even more powerful. You'll think the swat team has turned up.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 11 months ago #210536 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
Good weather+Plenty of bunnies= happy hunters :D They'll be history soon and we'll enjoy the day out :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 11 months ago #210610 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Gamo's cfx Kiwi303
The CFX is an underlever, not a break barrel, which means it has a separate cocking lever which adds to the weight. There are a few on TradeMe, just search for Gamo as some people don't know they are selling a CFX. Most come with a 4x scope, and cost less than $400.
The Trigger problem is a known issue with gamo rifles, however there is a replacement trigger out there for ~$50, fairly easy to install and solves all the problems.
Other Gamo rifles may be more to your liking, both in weight and cocking. Look for the Gamo Shadow or similar breakbarrel types.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 11 months ago #210746 by beedee
Wyeseyes, you are still welcome and Im sure there will be plenty for all to come and shoot at.
My problem with you coming w/ends is that I have to race off to work and it takes me about 4 hrs to do all the farm work first and getting home at 1 am ish means very little time. but I am certainly interested.. the last few weeks I could cry daily as I see all the grass shoots being eaten.... the cheeky booogars come right up to the domestic cages and eat their grass.. Yet to pluck a carrot from with in, but then the muscovy does that.
I should warn you that this place is the most primitive of all farms in the waikato region, and still the cheapest going. its the potential that Im dreaming of!!!!!! and for that dem peskies have to go.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds