Natural remedies for burns

More
13 years 11 months ago #13556 by moggy
Does anyone know of anything that is OK to use on full thickness burns. I would normally put either fresh aloe vera or neat lavender oil on a burn, but these are deep and I don't want to without a sound reference to its safety. There is also an infection there which is not responding well to antibiotics (IV and tablets).
Please do not recommend any homeopathic remedies as in my opinion they are a load of rubbish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208856 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Natural remedies for burns
Pure high UMF honey. sticky, but helps draw out the moisture and dry it up, and keep it from being as likely to go septic

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 11 months ago #208858 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Natural remedies for burns
How old are these burns?? and where and what is the area involved, the other thing how did the burn occur.. what age the person???
all these points need to be taken into consideration before suggesting anything.. IF systemic antiB's arent working then the area needs debriding and cleaning out and skin grafting. AND high dose IV antibiotics.
the routine treatment for a 3rd degree burn is saline dressing and debridement.. with skin grafting if over 5 cm in area ...first and second degree can have the silver suphur cream applied for the first 3 days, then down to dry dressings, to add chemicals to a raw tissue area adds to the delay in healing.
P lab burns need the chemicals to be neutralised, same as cowshed chemicals.. blast wounds need debriding as the burn is far deeper than thought, and dead tissue sits within. dry burns like the iron being applied do well with an occlusive cover.

To put something on what is a load of dead tissue might as well go straight down the sink for all the good it can do.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208868 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Natural remedies for burns
Are the burns on a person or an animal? Not always obvious in this forum whether we are talking people injuries of fur baby injuries [;)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 11 months ago #208878 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Natural remedies for burns
Hi Moggy,

I have the type of honey as mentioned by Kiwi303 from our own bees. Untreated, unheated and with much higher antibacterial activity than what is availbale in shops. So if you'd like to try it let me know.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208882 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Natural remedies for burns

betenoir;182822 wrote: Are the burns on a person or an animal? Not always obvious in this forum whether we are talking people injuries of fur baby injuries [;)]

IV and tablet AB's suspects human. if fur then injectable and oral liquid AB's are usual.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 11 months ago #208883 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Natural remedies for burns
Thats what I thought but you can never be sure on here :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 11 months ago #208888 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Natural remedies for burns
OK full story
person is me. area is foot
burn is from a hotwater bottle (nb burn not scald). It occured due to having had nerves removed in this foot a few years ago and not having much feeling in the foot, so I did not realise it was burning, hence how a hot water bottle could give full thickness burns.
burns are two weeks old
have already had IV antibiotics, now on double dose oral antibiotics, although working, working very slowly
simkin, if you think it will work, very greatful, after two weeks of conventional medicine, ready to try anything as long as it has a clinical basis.

• Jack
13 years 11 months ago #208892 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Natural remedies for burns
Gidday

Oh poor Moggy.

After a couple of weeks I would think it is really healing you want now. And there aint nothing better at healing than comfrey.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208894 by moggy
how would you use comfrey. I have a plant (though haven't seen it for a few weeks due to lack of daylight). Do you use the leaves direct, or as an infusion?

More
13 years 11 months ago #208913 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Natural remedies for burns
Doesnt sound good.. OK a slow thermal burn will be a 3rd degree, you didnt say how big so Im guessing over 5 cm .. being below the knee add 2 wks, being poor/no nerve response add 4 wks, many tendons and muscles so you really need a plastic surgeons input.. I hope you arent being cared for by a GP only????!!!! now and still going to clinic!!
you need to have the foot elevated.. that is toes as high as the nose for 20 hrs per day, cos you have lost the ability to constrict and dilate the blood vessels and lymph system so drainage is less than a swamp.
I am guessing they are waiting to see how far the burn actually went.

being unable to see
there are two choices. the wet/dry dressing.. that is stick a saline wet swab in and change it 8hrly, this pulls off the slough and does some minimal drainage of the area.. or use kaltostat which is a seaweed that sucks out the muck, and can be changed once or every two days depending on exudate. grannulation or proud flesh depending on which language you wish to use [furry/human] may occur but that can then be scrapped off prior to grafting
tendons and tendon sheaths all need to be identified as patent.. Im gathering its on top of the foot.
Im sorry no honey or anything else will heal it while its in its early stages.:(
sorry your hoof is damaged. Now go and buy some big gumboot sox and toss that hotty away.
K303 all my animals get tablets or IM AB's Ive never given elixir:rolleyes:

More
13 years 11 months ago #208946 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Natural remedies for burns
Hi Beedee,

what are your experiences with honey?

Fortunately I've never had to use it myself (yet) and when I think of it - the cases I've heard of were old wounds that hadn't healed for months, usually in older people.

Hi Jack,

I've used comfrey tincture or crushed leaves on bruises, sore tendons and the likes but never on broken skin. Can you please give us some more detail??

More
13 years 11 months ago #208967 by Dream Weaver
I would go for PURE Manuka honey to. You could try Manuka oil as well but try the honey first. I know some hospitols now use manuka honey on ulcers with great success.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208968 by moggy
beedee, yes, keeping the foot elevated has been drummed into me and I have seen the results of having it down for a day.
The tendons fortunately are not effected.
Yes it is the top of the foot, it is the two smallest toes and t part of the top of the metatarsals, bigger than 5cm in one direction, smaller in another. The little toe is the worst effected, the other areas although full thickness, have stopped at removing all the skin and have not burnt into the muscle.
At the moment yes I am under the care of a GP (have seen about 4 doctors in the past 2 weeks). There was a mention of skin grafts, but later dismissed as a scarred foot is not seen as a disfigurment (and I agree, I am really not concerned about yet another scar to add to the collection).
Ironically the worse burnt bit is healing faster than the lesser burnt bits.

currently I apply a dry, non stick dressing twice a day (I am guessing you are in the medical profession?)

the hotwater bottle now has a furry cover, so not likely to happen again.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208971 by moggy
those recomending honey, can anyone give me and links to its use (other than anecdotal) I have never heard of honey as a treatment for wounds. As the wound is bad, I don't want to go sticking stuff on it willy nilly.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds