Insuring a 17-and-a-half-year old's car

More
15 years 7 months ago #13508 by Giddyup
[:(!] HI there, my son's brought a car. AMI won't touch him because it's a 3 litre Nissan Maxima.
Fair enough. The silly boy wasn't thinking as usual when he went out and bought it.
I was furious, but now have to find a way to insure it. Because, if I don't, he'll drive it anyway. Sigh.
There's a place that will do it, third party - (was only $1500) and it's $500 a year - but only have yearly payments which he can't afford to pay in one lump sum.

Anyone struck this/going through this?

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #208226 by max2
How much is a wheel lock? [;)][;)][;)]

Cheaper option I would think.[}:)]

More
15 years 7 months ago #208227 by FencerMan
Been there, done that....I bought a V6 when i was 19...

Have you tried NAC insurance?

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
15 years 7 months ago #208228 by FencerMan
NAC = National Auto Club

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
15 years 7 months ago #208230 by Dream Weaver
From experience with 2 of mine when they were younger and had fancy cars, the only place that would insure them was in Auckland and boy they charged like wounded bulls. I think that was NAC to by memory. I would say it is because it is 3 litre. Insurance companies have a list of what they WONT insure for young drivers. Our youngest learnt from her brother and sister and she only has a wee Nissan 323 sedan, no worries with insurance there.

More
15 years 7 months ago #208233 by Giddyup
Might ring them tomorrow. Yeah, a wheel lock in a perfect world! However, he is living away on the farm where he works, has a girlfriend, blah blah. Will probably kill himself, but we can't do a thing.

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
15 years 7 months ago #208236 by skyline_glenn
Unfortunately Swaggie, a wheel lock won't stop him crashing into somebody's Mercedes or BMW. Damm I had it lucky, I had full insurance for a $12,000 6 cyl turbo skyline when I was 21 for a whole $500 or so. I dont understand why a Nissan maxima would be classed as uninsurable for him, I have one and its more a 'granddad car' than a boy racer car.

Glenn

More
15 years 7 months ago #208237 by max2
Perhaps I should have said wheel clamp, not meaning those steering wheel things, but the "real deal" they put on your wheel when you are parked somewhere you shouldn't be in cities...

However back to reality, my sympathy Giddyup, we have been pretty lucky with the local young uns' coming up into driving time... the worst I have had to deal with was the car stereo from the boyfriend across the road who thought the people on the other side of the river might like to listen to his stereo.

I took my trusty rose pruners with me when I had deep and meaningfuls with him.[8D][;)]

More
15 years 7 months ago #208238 by The Kats Place
You would think you stress levels would be going down as they get older wouldn't you. Does he have a full licence? My son was always with State when he was younger. Can you put the car in your name and insure it with him as a driver?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
15 years 7 months ago #208239 by Angie
Get insurance through your bank. I had a rather sporty car insured through Westpac a few years ago (when I was rather young, and with a restricted license), and they hardly asked any questions, and the payments were fortnightly.

Same deal with BNZ with a more recent vehicle

You do end up paying a bit more.. but it was more affordable fortnightly than a lump sum for me at that stage

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

More
15 years 7 months ago #208248 by Dream Weaver
They have got alot tighter with what car they will insure with the young ones. when my oldest was 17 he had a Nissan skyline and got insurance with State. My 2nd son when he was 18 got insurance on a WRX with NZ Insurance and then insureance for his courier van. when my eldest daughter tried for insurance when she was 18 after buying a Nissan skyline GTX no way could she get it through the normal companies. she was on a full licience with no tickets or demerrits. She had to go with NAC insurance and boy it cost her heaps.

More
15 years 7 months ago #208250 by reggit
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say...if he can go out and buy a car, he needs to be able to afford his own insurance [;)]

Why are you wanting to step in and pay for him, Giddyup? He is living away from home and earning his own money. He's a grownup.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 7 months ago #208258 by DiDi
My girls were always insured through our Farm Policy as I had their cars in my name and they were listed as principal drivers. I doubt very much if any insurance company will allow you to insure on your son's behalf. New client's always had to either make verbal declarations on the phone (recorded) if doing it that way or sign declarations if doing it through the local office.

As he is out in the workforce and living independently, I think you should leave it alone once you have warned him about the consequences of not doing it. I know! He's your son - but he is a big boy! The minute mine were earning, they were paying their own bills...oops...mostly.

More
15 years 7 months ago #208259 by Kiwi303
tell him to insure through his bank, I know of kids with insurance (third party) on RB30DET skylines while 18 just from the bank. if he can afford the car, he can afford the insurance, or sell the car and buy something cheaper to insure.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 7 months ago #208268 by Timber
Id say go through the banks, I was worried about my little brother buying a boy racer death trap so I brought him a Holden Kingswood in great condition with mags, tinted windows etc, but powered by a 2.8 diesel. So slow it wouldnt even do over 120kmph, and take half the day to get there.
But because it was over 2 litres they wouldnt cover him, he sold it and brought a 2 litre hot hatch which could do 200kmph. Insurance company thought that was fine.[xx(]

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds