Can I take it back?

More
13 years 11 months ago #13490 by kate
Can I take it back? was created by kate
I've just checked my Mitre 10 statement and after listing the stuff I actually bought, I see an item called 'system rounding adjustment' of 2 cents. I don't remember buying this and I'm sure is isn't worth 2 cents so can I take it back?

Just my 2cw [8D][;)][8D]

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207966 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Can I take it back?
You are lucky to get it at that price! Some places charge 9 cents and you never know what it will be that till you get the bill! Please let's know if you can get it removed from the statement!!!!!!!

More
13 years 11 months ago #207972 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Can I take it back?
Whoa! That's a rounding up or down to get to a nice round number?

I'm sure that that is poor business practice if you're paying by an electronic means (whereby you can pay the exact amount) or with a cheque. In fact, I know it is as I've complained about it before. I am not sure that it is illegal per se.

Hmmmm.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207977 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Can I take it back?
Cash rounding has been introduced when the 1 and 2 cent coins were abolished but for payment by electronic means:confused::confused::confused:

I recently bought something at Mitre10 and paid cash and they rounded it up by 8 cents. Everyone else rounds it down in such a case. I said something to the checkout operator but she told me that this has recently become company policy and is not her fault.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207998 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Can I take it back?
I get anoyed when shops round when I pay by EPOS or Credit Card. No need as they can get the exact amount.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
13 years 11 months ago #208004 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Can I take it back?
Well according to the Ministry of Consumer Affair's website....

Rounding prices

One and two and five cent coins are no longer in circulation but their value still remains. These changes took place from July 2006. This means that a trader can still offer goods for sale at $1.99.
The price you actually have to pay for these goods depends on how you pay.
If paying in cash

If you are paying cash, the trader can set the rounding policy. This must be disclosed to you prior to making a purchase.
If paying by cheque, credit card, or EFTPOS

The trader can charge the exact price if the consumer is paying by cheque, credit card, or EFT-POS. This is because these methods of payment allow you to pay the exact price.

Web Goddess

• Toni - Northland
13 years 11 months ago #208034 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Can I take it back?
They should abolish the odd cents. It annoys me that they are no longer legal tender but we get charged for them anyway.

More
13 years 11 months ago #208061 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Can I take it back?

ccrk9;181881 wrote: I get anoyed when shops round when I pay by EPOS or Credit Card. No need as they can get the exact amount.

I won't let them [:I] I know it's probably silly, and I know it's only a few cents, but it happened once and I refuse to let it happen to me again!

More
13 years 11 months ago #208071 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Can I take it back?
Same here..I've said either charge me the right price or get sT%%ffed..or words to that effect.[:I] The one shop that wouldn't I insisted on a refund and told them in words of four letters or less where they could stick their veggies. Haven't been back since and won't shop there again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 11 months ago #208073 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Can I take it back?
Oh and someone I know[}:)]...when told their cash sale in a veggie shop was being rounded up..pulled out their pocket knife and carved a chunk of of an apple...'well that must be about 2 c worth so we're even then'. Stunned silence and a snack on the way home[:I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 11 months ago #208134 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Can I take it back?

Prim;181952 wrote: I know it's only a few cents

Just a few cents to you or me, but for them it's a few cents x millions of sales. It's money for nothing for them, and I bet they make a lot of it by having that policy.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 11 months ago #208135 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Can I take it back?
They make 100's of 1000's. I once talked to a service station owner when there were still 5 cent coins and he said something about 10 000 Dollars per year difference between rounding up and rounding down. Just for one small service station. Imagine Mitre10!

The Warehouse used to round down no matter what when there were still 5 cent coins but no more. Must have made an enormous difference.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds