Coverting a sleepout/garage

More
15 years 11 months ago #207959 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage
[B)][B)]

I would point out that I'm not the one driving into gates or posts...[}:)][}:)]

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #207967 by Pumpkingirl

Kate;181838 wrote: [B)][B)]

I would point out that I'm not the one driving into gates or posts...[}:)][}:)]

I didn't drive into them, one hit me from the side, the other jumped out in front of me!

:D

More
15 years 11 months ago #208032 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage

jen;181756 wrote: www.ccc.govt.nz/quickanswers/buildingpla...ssleepouts/f1073.asp

You're not allowed a kitchen. You're permitted to have a sleepout..but if you intend any plumbing I believe you then need a building consent and probably a discharge consent from ECAN. If you have a kitchen then it becomes a fully self-contained unit which you wouldn't automatically have permission for (also known as a granny flat) They're pretty strict about granny flats, since they aren't consented as separate units, they require you to prove that they will be used for a dependant, and that when they're gone you have to rip out the kitchen!

Well, If we can get signed off on the things we are allowed to do, then we can add kitchen units etc later, it can't be called a kitchen unless it has fixed cooking facilities, which can easily be removed if necessary should we decide to sell the place.
It might be worth going down the route of enquiring about converting it to rent.

More
15 years 11 months ago #208069 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage
Historically in Franklin you could easily get permission for a grannie flat if it was withing 50 metres of the main dwelling and was for family etc (as described by PG) but you were meant to remove it on selling. That does NOT happen as I know of numerous properties in this category that have been sold more than once and the grannie flat is still there. In one case it has become the main dwelling through subdivision! The other one is people who move temporarily into sheds - and they are still there many years later! Across the road from me is a shack (previously house) that was condemed by the Council probably 15 years ago and yet no one will deal with getting it removed. Guess it depends on how active your Council is.

• Jack
15 years 11 months ago #208072 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage
Gidday

Well Moggy, what I suggest is simply get a permit for a toilet in the garage and when that is all hunkydory don't tell nobody and just do it.

More
15 years 11 months ago #208088 by moggy
Well if we put a composting loo in then we don't even need resource consent for that.

More
15 years 11 months ago #208141 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage
As long as you aren't bothered about insurance.....

More
15 years 11 months ago #208156 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage

DiDi;181960 wrote: Historically in Franklin you could easily get permission for a grannie flat if it was withing 50 metres of the main dwelling and was for family etc (as described by PG) but you were meant to remove it on selling. That does NOT happen as I know of numerous properties in this category that have been sold more than once and the grannie flat is still there. In one case it has become the main dwelling through subdivision! The other one is people who move temporarily into sheds - and they are still there many years later! Across the road from me is a shack (previously house) that was condemed by the Council probably 15 years ago and yet no one will deal with getting it removed. Guess it depends on how active your Council is.

When I was asking at Franklin for Mum and Dad Didi, they said once the original "need" for the dwelling was over, ie parents had gone into a retirement home or died, then unless they received a complaint (and serious ones) then the approved minor dwelling could stay.... they pretty much turned their backs on it all. We could apply for a special exemption too to have it away from our main house if there was a good reason (ie flater land for ease of elderly access etc).

But for those contemplating it, you had to give your Parents birth certificate or a letter from their Doctor advising that family care was recommended... before the council would approve the dwelling in the first place (unless you are over a certain Hect size, I think we fell 14 hect's under) and then a 2nd dwelling is fine.

More
15 years 11 months ago #208264 by moggy

oskatd;182035 wrote: As long as you aren't bothered about insurance.....

erm, would a composting loo be considered a high fire risk?

More
15 years 11 months ago #208284 by Pumpkingirl
I suspect oskatd was meaning, if you are going to convert your sleepout under the council's radar, then you almost certainly won't get insurance for the building.

More
15 years 11 months ago #208293 by moggy
Well I wasn't planning on being completely under the radar, quite happy to have the council inspect plumbing wiring, walls etc, just that when it comes to the kitchen, as far as I can tell, only permanently fixed items would constitute a kitchen, so free standing cupboards, portable gas hob (not sure about the sink, but you could always use the bathroom one I expect) would still be legitimate.
That and I will investigate the rental aspect as a possibility to get permission for a proper kitchen

More
15 years 11 months ago #208300 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage
... you'll get insurance for anything - no problem. The insurance only checks whether everything is legitimate if you have a claim. So 'getting insurance' is not really the proper criterium.

• Jack
15 years 11 months ago #208455 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Coverting a sleepout/garage
Gidday

Yep, insurance companies will take anyone's money for anything. But is something goes wrong you may have trouble gettin them to pay out though Eh!

More
7 years 1 month ago #532794 by power puff girl
Hi we bought an old house last year where the garage had already been converted to and divided into a big room with a toilet and a laundry so only 1/4 of the building was actually a garage. The toilet had been disconnected but the plumbing was shared with the laundry. Due to bad odor and water pushing up from blockage coming up from the manhole, we dug it up and found it was still old concrete pipes that blockages and had cracked over time and was seeping into the ground. we spent a lot of money replacing the plumbing and moved the toilet further back and added a mechanical pump to stop future blockage. We insulated the whole building and damp proved the outside walls for our oldest son to live in. Other than putting a sink where the old basin used to be, and changing the garage door back to an ordinary door, we didn't add anything to the building. When we bought the house we requested the plans and this building was not even on the plans. It was added after the original house was build in the 60's but before 1989 so we have no clue which of the owners over the years added it as the council had no records. How do we make this a coded building for letting out when my son eventually moves out?

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #532800 by tonybaker
Ouch! it's a common problem with unconsented works. You can apply for a retrospective permit but I suspect that there is no dampcourse under the garage floor and the council will insist on this. There are some options however. One is to do nothing and hope the next purchaser is unaware of the problem, same as you. Two is to revert it back to just a garage.Three is to go the previous owner but it may be tricky proving who converted it if there have been a few owners. If you are desperate to sell then option two is easiest, especially given the sewage issue. If you plan to live there for the foreseeable future then do nothing, especially stay clear of the council! Also it raises insurance issues.
Sorry to hear of your predicament but as I said, it is so common these days. Maybe someone else on here has been through similar issues.....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds