Grrrr-bloody computers!

More
15 years 10 months ago #13463 by ccrk9
Our old computer packed up last week and there is no way I can afford to replace it, so no internet for over a week. A friend gave us an old Dell hardrive with Wondows 98 but it didnt have a modem....so off we went and got a stand alone modem....and here I am! Its faster than our old system running ME!!

Now all I need to do is get the kinks ironed out and get used to this really weird keyborad that goes with the Dell, sort of ergonomic thing with letters split into two parts on the board-grrr

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #207602 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!
GRRR - agree about the ergonomic keyboard. My work bought me one with the new computers and I tried - honestly I tried but no way! I found my old one in the cupboard and plugged it back in pronto. I also use a "normal" one at home.

The only thing you have to be wary of with 98 is that it is no longer supported (no doubt if I am wrong the techies on site will correct me) but I would not be doing internet banking etc on it. Hope I'm wrong but just a warning until those more computer savy than myself come on board.

More
15 years 10 months ago #207607 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!
My Son wants to know if the person who gave you the Dell computer is really a 'friend'? ;) :) The Other Half never liked ME, so thought that it wouldn't be hard for Windows '98 to be better than ME. All the best. :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 10 months ago #207608 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!

DiDi;181409 wrote: The only thing you have to be wary of with 98 is that it is no longer supported (no doubt if I am wrong the techies on site will correct me) but I would not be doing internet banking etc on it.

Yes, that is good advice DiDi :)

Windows 98 has more security holes in it than a collander [:0]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
15 years 10 months ago #207706 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!
No, not doing on line banking. Just using it to keep me going so I dont have to go in to town to see what everyone here is up to and clear my emails.

really have to try and sort out a new computer but due to the economy at the moment I just cant mange it.

More
15 years 10 months ago #207708 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!

Inger;181414 wrote: My Son wants to know if the person who gave you the Dell computer is really a 'friend'? ;) :) The Other Half never liked ME, so thought that it wouldn't be hard for Windows '98 to be better than ME. All the best. :)

"friend" may be being a bit generous...who ever heard of a computer with no modem??? Had to go and buy a cheapie at DS. Cheaper than a new computer I guess...funny how much we all rely on computers these days.

More
15 years 10 months ago #207715 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!
If you've still got your old keyboard, you should just be able to plug it in instead of the ergonomic one. Those things are just strange!

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
15 years 10 months ago #207801 by Angie
Replied by Angie on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!
Ergonomic keyboards are the best!! I use one at work. People don't like them cos it forces them ..ahem.. to type correctly :D

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

More
15 years 10 months ago #207824 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Grrrr-bloody computers!

Angie;181670 wrote: Ergonomic keyboards are the best!! I use one at work. People don't like them cos it forces them ..ahem.. to type correctly :D

Agreed 100%. I have been using MS Natural Keyboards for the past 14 years, and wouldn't be without them. Except when using my laptop of course (like now).

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds