Circus animals

More
15 years 10 months ago #207999 by Sunflower
Replied by Sunflower on topic Circus animals
Pru how I see it :
Options are for Jumbo:
Remain in the circus where it would be kept in a trailer, chained to the trailer, and when's it's lucky it's in a small enclosure.

Rehomed to a large enclosure where it will have some freedom to move and hopefully some companion animals.

And I bet that people would still take there children to see it, and Jumbo wouldn't be chained up.

The best option for these animals is to leave them in their familiar environments.............Who has ever tried to change something for the "better' for an elderly parent [}:)][;)]

I see no problem with trying to improve the conditions of ANY animal that can't act in a way that nature mean't it to. So if it makes me a " goody goody" to not want battery hens, sow crates, elephants in the circus, then so be it!

The dolphin in Napier will not be replaced once it dies, but without the voice of the " goody goodies" who knows, we could still be out there catching dolpins for human entertainment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #208002 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Circus animals

Sunflower;181883 wrote: Pru how I see it :
Options are for Jumbo:
Remain in the circus where it would be kept in a trailer, chained to the trailer, and when's it's lucky it's in a small enclosure.

Rehomed to a large enclosure where it will have some freedom to move and hopefully some companion animals.

And I bet that people would still take there children to see it, and Jumbo wouldn't be chained up.

I see no problem with trying to improve the conditions of ANY animal that can't act in a way that nature mean't it to. So if it makes me a " goody goody" to not want battery hens, sow crates, elephants in the circus, then so be it!

The dolphin in Napier will not be replaced once it dies, but without the voice of the " goody goodies" who knows, we could still be out there catching dolpins for human entertainment.

Ok, but where?????? Nobody has offered land and further more have the circus looked for land for the elephant. Jumbo needs to be kept with his keeper.

I don't think the dolphins would have been replaced anyway as the rest of us can see it isn't really a good idea to have them like this and we don't really need the goody goodies to show us the way.

More
15 years 10 months ago #208014 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Circus animals

Toni - Northland;181888 wrote: [/i][/b]
we don't really need the goody goodies to show us the way.

I would hazard a guess that without the original hue and cry from the 'goody goodies' way back when, we'd still have plenty of animals being imported for circuses, and still be at the 'chimps teaparty' stage of zoo facilities as well...:( It's just that the 'goody goodie' attitudes of yesteryear have become the 'norm' now. I bet in their day, the idea of having more natural zoo enclosures would have been derided as a waste of money...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 10 months ago #208016 by Sunflower
Many people would take Jumbo, but last time she came up for sale she had a million dollar price tag. The price of love for your animal huh:rolleyes:

The current owners plan to have a place for her when she is not on tour, I don't see why that arrangement can't be permament. But once again it's about money, not animal welfare. :(

The one thing that is always the same with you Toni, I remember the debate you had with Fisho, no matter what you couldn't see the value in people having opinions different than yours. Couldn't see that the world is richer place with all different sorts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #208031 by Toni - Northland

Sunflower;181904 wrote: Many people would take Jumbo, but last time she came up for sale she had a million dollar price tag. The price of love for your animal huh:rolleyes:

The current owners plan to have a place for her when she is not on tour, I don't see why that arrangement can't be permament. But once again it's about money, not animal welfare. :(

The one thing that is always the same with you Toni, I remember the debate you had with Fisho, no matter what you couldn't see the value in people having opinions different than yours. Couldn't see that the world is richer place with all different sorts.

Well, you have a better memory than I have then and I would have thought with only 5 hundred and something posts that wouldn't even go as far back as Fisho. Unless you are Fisho reincarnated.[:0]

I haven't said anything here about anyone having to think the same as me. We all have different opinions on all sorts of matters, including me. I don't expect you to have the same one as I have at all. Not unless you want to of course.[}:)]

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #208033 by Toni - Northland
It may suprise you that I don't agree with battery farming either and won't buy battery farmed eggs or battery farmed bacon. So I do my bit in that respect as many are starting to do nowadays.

More
15 years 10 months ago #208040 by Sunflower
Fisho was far smarter than me, and he had a way with words...posts shouldn't be an indiction of how long someone has been around either[}:)]

It may suprise you that I don't agree with battery farming either and won't buy battery farmed eggs or battery farmed bacon. So I do my bit in that respect as many are starting to do nowadays.

Actually it doesn't surprise me, I know you have compassion for many animals.
But never the less, it is really nice to hear you say that!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #208057 by Toni - Northland
Ok, hear this also. I won't go to a circus with lions tigers or elephants in them, but am still entitled to my opinion on the way they are keeping what animals they still have.

More
15 years 10 months ago #208078 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Circus animals
sunflower - I don't understand your reasoning regarding the elephant. Could it be that the price tag on Jumbo was because the owner loved him and did not want anyone to buy him. Are you suggesting in the same breath that if your dog grows from a puppy into a huge animal that has, to other people's way of thinking, outgrown your yard, you should rehome it? Bearing in mind that this animals has been part of your family, knows no other way of life.

I too only buy free range eggs but I also believe in animal experimentation for medical outcomes that enable a quality of life for human beings. There is no exact answer to this in my mind - just who you know and what they have gained from medical science. Would you prefer they died? I don't and that is where I come from.

More
15 years 10 months ago #208079 by bsadler
Replied by bsadler on topic Circus animals
i doubt if an old chimp living out her days with human keepers is any worse off than an old human living out their days in a nursing home.

i think a lot of folk have a rather "bambi" view of nature

More
15 years 10 months ago #208081 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Circus animals
I love go see lions,tigers etc.dont have problem but do have problem with any bad treatment of Children and animals.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #208137 by Toni - Northland

DiDi;181971 wrote: sunflower - I don't understand your reasoning regarding the elephant. Could it be that the price tag on Jumbo was because the owner loved him and did not want anyone to buy him. Are you suggesting in the same breath that if your dog grows from a puppy into a huge animal that has, to other people's way of thinking, outgrown your yard, you should rehome it? Bearing in mind that this animals has been part of your family, knows no other way of life.

I too only buy free range eggs but I also believe in animal experimentation for medical outcomes that enable a quality of life for human beings. There is no exact answer to this in my mind - just who you know and what they have gained from medical science. Would you prefer they died? I don't and that is where I come from.

You see Sunflower, we all come from different angles. I don't agree with animal experimentation, but Didi does, that's ok for others to have differing views and opinions, but at this stage I cannot ever see me agreeing with Didi on this one. All fine and dandy then.
Like I said, I won't go to a circus with large animals and haven't for over 35 years, and protesters had nothing to do with my views on this. I have never felt comfortable with the large animals in the circus, but think to turn Jumbo out into a paddock now would be cruel, without daily stimulation and I think Jumbo gets that from daily performances and applause from the audience. It is all he/she has known. I doubt if they are treating her cruelly.

More
15 years 10 months ago #208138 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Circus animals
Action speaks louder than words, SF and that is my Exact point.[}:)]
I have been a goody goody at times myself but have taken action not stood back and barked out instructions.
Put your money where your mouth is........ Form a co-op, buy the elephant....................and enjoy :)

• Toni - Northland
15 years 10 months ago #208194 by Toni - Northland
I still want to know how Fisho come into this conversation about elephants. :D

More
15 years 10 months ago #208204 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Circus animals
Before my time Toni, isn't another one of those that packs a huff and disappears off cyberspace only to return,....... or reinvented .........:rolleyes: :D :D

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds