Circus animals

More
15 years 9 months ago #207580 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Circus animals
What you need to appreciate is that this elephant has been with his "family" for years and there is no alternative (as explained above) so I'm sorry if I am offensive to some of you but it is his family, it is better than being shot for his tusks, it is better than being put in a zoo with herd animals who would probably kill him - so get over it!!

Have any of you lived my life where I used to arrange farm visits for children from a low socio economic area (not that that is even important today) who had had NO contact with a cat or dog, let alone goats, sheep, cattle, horses, chooks etc. They were terrified on the whole until the effort was put in to show them that fear and ignorance was not necessary.

If it takes calling an organisation a "circus" to get people to take their children to see animals, whether llams, sheep or elephants, isn't it better than what I have known and experienced and that is generational children growing up with some fictious object in their story book?

As others have pointed out - there is no way they would be allowed to have these animals if there was any abuse or neglect. Just reminds me of another thread here today about the horse that was horribly injured by "someone". It would never have happened if he/she lived in a "circus". Grow up is all I can say. There are two sides to every story.

One more comment over and above this and that is the environment we ask children to grow up in today. In my day you taught your children about "stranger danger". Not relevant today - we know it is more liikely to be a family friend. Today we have children scared of dogs because... they hurt you. Amazes me when I am out with my poodle cross and children want to come and grab her. It is not the children but the parents who yank the child back. Me - I drop to the ground next to my dog and ask the child if they would like to pat my dog. Huge excited eyes - and then I explain to them why they must never rush up to a dog but show them how to approach a dog and get the contact they want.

We as rural people also need to take responsibility for supporting our lifestyle as it certainly isn't being supported by the current Government nor probably your Local Government that you will find is mainly made up of urban people. I could be way wrong but suspect that most of the animal protection groups worldwide are made up of urban people who just don't get farming and animals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #207586 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Circus animals

DiDi;181386 wrote: If it takes calling an organisation a "circus" to get people to take their children to see animals, whether llams, sheep or elephants, isn't it better than what I have known and experienced and that is generational children growing up with some fictious object in their story book?

I am all for kids getting up close and personal with domesticated species, but it would also be nice if they were given a chance to understand the difference between domesticated species and ones which should be in the wild, and what habitats are more appropriate for each? [:I]

Yes, this elephant is now 'institutionalised' as a performing animal. Let's hope that it doesn't happen to others. At least most zoos are involved in something worthwhile for the survival of the species and take great pains to mimick their habitat and habits, which can go partway to justifying their captivity. The same can't be said of most 'wild' animals that are brought up in circuses for entertainment value only.

Thankfully trends are changing and there are more circuses that rely more on acrobats (cirque du soleil style) and smaller animal (dog, ponies etc) attractions.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 9 months ago #207587 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Circus animals
I hate seeing exotic animals in the circus, but I know Tony that owns the elephant (or used to as hes technically sold it and is now its keeper). He adores that animal and has been put thru hell by "protesters" over the years. I wonder just what they wanted him to do with it ? It would have been cruel to seperate it from him. So a happy solution has been found and when the elephant dies we will no longer have the problem.

And is a circus animal any worse off than dogs being dragged to shows all the time?? Many dogs go from kennels to crates in the car, in the show ring and back home to be kenneled again, never having any real life, and I see no protestors when that happens!

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
15 years 9 months ago #207592 by DiDi
tigger - I agree with you. Was mainly intending to comment about the elephant! However, despite the huge increase in visitors to A & P Shows where children can learn exactly what you propose and I agree with, it is the children who are not being introduced to animals that we need to reach. How?

Look at the Chimps who used to do the "Tea Parties" at the Auckland Zoo who have lived out their lives in isolation to others because they could not be intergrated. Totally agree with you - let's hope it doesn't happen again - but we can't "blame" anyone because that is all that people knew then. Similarily, I don't blame the owners of the elephant because that is all they knew when they first got it. Hopefully - the last but I felt the need to defend the circus for keeping, feeding and supporting the elephant they have. Imagine the food bill!!! What is the alternative? I can't think of one apart from putting it down. Is that preferable to Peta and all the animal protection groups?

More
15 years 9 months ago #207600 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Circus animals
Even zoos are coming up with life enrichment activities for their animals. They've got them hunting for their food in natural behavioural ways. Things like hiding their food in logs and around their enclosures, making them climb and work to get their food. Also stretching their meals out over a longer period of time to keep them occupied for a longer period of the day. They employ people whose sole job is to come up with more and more difficult ways to make it harder for the animals to get their food, thus extending their brains and making them work for their food. Its a lot more stimulating for them now. Far more interesting for the public to watch as well. You can spend ages watching to see how an animal works out a way to reach its food. Zoos are far more interesting places now than they ever were when I was little.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 9 months ago #207624 by Sunflower
Replied by Sunflower on topic Circus animals

Hope no one on here ever keeps one sheep, cattle beast or any other herd anImal:):) Yesterday 06:30 PM

Sod I don't really know how you can compare the two.

If you kept a dog the way the elephant is kept, it would be against the law. And how else can you keep an elephant confined expect with a chain or trailer? That's the problem what quality of life does an elephant have in a circus and does it teach children anything about animals when they see them performing tricks. Zoo's have kept up with the times, this is the end of a era, and we shouldn't for a second let anyone think that it would be acceptable to have exotic animals in the circus again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
15 years 9 months ago #207630 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Circus animals
Di the tea party chimps sprung to my mind also. Perhaps the protesters would prefer that the animal was destroyed? It's all very well being opposed to something, but surely you should have an alternative in mind, and saying it should never have happened isn't much help, hindsight is a gift we all possess. Unfortunately you can't change the past.

• Toni - Northland
15 years 9 months ago #207637 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Circus animals

Sunflower;181281 wrote: Yeah Toni, just tar everyone with the same brush :(

Actually, there was no elephant mentioned in the first post. :p So, I wondered what the hell the protesters could be protesting about.

AND, as the others have said, that is the life the elephant knows and I believe there has been no suggestion from anybody here or in the industry they will have elephants, lions and tigers in future circuses. But, of course there is always the lion that someone has spotted at Kaiwaka. Now, that could be hoot looking for that critter. Lucky for him Kiwi303 didn't shift up this way.[:0]

Hope no one on here ever keeps one sheep, cattle beast or any other herd anImal

Actually sod, I keep ONE goat ON a chain ON the side of the road. That is all she has known. My fences are not good enough to free range her. Before we got her, she had no shelter, extra food or anyone to talk to her. Would you have me let her go to end up at the back of our farm where illegal hunters come through from other properties and shoot her??? I think at her approx age of 18ish that wouldn't be fair.

More
15 years 9 months ago #207641 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Circus animals
I haven't been to a circus in about 40 years because of the overwelming urge to let all the animals loose.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
15 years 9 months ago #207646 by lady yank
Replied by lady yank on topic Circus animals
Occasionally elephants get the last laugh, even if it is by accident.

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

More
15 years 9 months ago #207655 by DiDi
OOOH...I must have a warped sense of humour as I just burst out laughing watching that. Poor young man - so glad he was rescued!

More
15 years 9 months ago #207659 by Sunflower
Replied by Sunflower on topic Circus animals
Jumbo the elephant has changed hands.

The new owners plan to set up a new enclousure for her when she is not on tour, so hopefully for 3 to 4 months of the year at least she will have freedom from the trailer and chains.

Tony did try to rehome Jumbo, but at a millon dollars he didn't have many takers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
15 years 9 months ago #207669 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Circus animals
There is a circus just near Sydney Airport at the mo, set up for a couple of weeks. They have lions (in their own section), various ponies and alpacas, and I am sure I saw a giraffe in there too.

However they don't have the animals in trailers or the like, but big (very tall) portable "yards" (for want of a better word) plenty of room to stretch, rest, have a little run around and not get in the way of any of the others....

Looked a fine clean setup to me and would be interesting to the animals to see a different outlook every couple of weeks. This one was right by the waterway in a heavily tree'd park with a main road nearby.

Sure I would prefer to see them in the wild as well, but alive, unharmed and not with their babies standing next to them dead as they have been hunted for their pelt or tusks. (she says as she plans on making possum blankets in NZ for her home).... ironic eh.

More
15 years 9 months ago #207698 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Circus animals
That was tongue in cheek:) as it being said before that it being a herd animal it was cruel to just have one.As for goats on chains etc I don't have problems with any of these things.I sometimes have issues with some protesters that dont know all the facts and break the law or take others freedom away.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 9 months ago #207978 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Circus animals
Hell, I've had this b^#* Flu for the past week.
Am ready to put my 2c worth in.

Sooo no one here concened about the "lonely" dolphin in Napier then.[}:)]
Exactly the same senario, it is a waiting game, but these animals were allowed rightly or wrongly to be put on show for "our" pleasure, let them be and live out their last few years.
What upsets me more is the lack of an option from these goody good "protestors. The best option for these animals is to leave them in their familiar environments.............Who has ever tried to change something for the "better' for an elderly parent [}:)][;)] and been told in no certain terms to ..............

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds