Circus animals

More
13 years 11 months ago #13458 by oskatd
Circus animals was created by oskatd
Just back from my lesson (got drenched, ho hum) at the racecourse, and there is a circus there for a couple of weeks. As I drove in I saw their animals - a mini, a large goat, and a couple of alpacas or llamas. They were in a lovely coral type arrangement looking healthy, happy and well fed. As I was leaving, and the circus was gearing up there were about a dozen protesters outside the gate waving banners 'The circus is hell for animals'. And I wondered to myself if it really was in this country. I would imagine that the SPCA keeps a very close eye on them. Whilst I am sure that in certain countries circus life is hell for animals (probably all animals live in hell in some countries, as do the people), but perhaps such a protest is a bit misguided here? I am well aware that everyone has a right to have their say, but I have no experience of circus animals other than what i viewed on the way in.....

It's all go here in Tauranga, I tell you :rolleyes:[}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 11 months ago #207477 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Circus animals
Probably the same lot that want to ban farming.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207478 by Sunflower
Replied by Sunflower on topic Circus animals
I was going to that protest, but got held up moving factories.
I am not involved with the group protesting, but I feel very strongly about keeping exotic animals such as elephants in that enviroment.
Elephants are highly social animals and what does anyone learn about elephants from seeing them doing tricks? There are elephants in the Zoo which have room to more and most importantly, other elephants to be around. I can only hope that she will be retired and have some freedom in her last years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
13 years 11 months ago #207479 by Sunflower
Yeah Toni, just tar everyone with the same brush :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

More
13 years 11 months ago #207481 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Circus animals
Do they have an elephant? Didn't see one, imagine they are hard to hide... If they do, I would agree, it's not ideal. But is it any worse than singling out other animals that are naturally herd animals? Personally I thought that in a Country that is OTT PC circus animals would have been outlawed....

More
13 years 11 months ago #207482 by Sunflower
It is the only elephant left in a circus in NZ, they have brought in a law to say that you can't have just one elephant, so with the cost of bringing in two elephants hopefully it will be the last elephant we will see in the circus.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 11 months ago #207486 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Circus animals
If it is the circus that has the elephant, it is in better conditions that it was in its previous circus (bigger trailer) but still not ideal.

When they used to park across the road from us for a week or two of shows, we used to get woken up continuously by the elephant banging its head/trunk against the inside of its trailer, again and again and again...was very upsetting, both the lack of sleep and thinking about how bored/institutionalised the elephant had become...:(

Thank goodness that one is the last and hopefully no more will be allowed in circuses here again.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 11 months ago #207489 by oskatd
We get woken up by Ernie banging his head on the gate... Not sure if he is bored or institutionalised, but it must bloody hurt. He does nothing for the reputation of sheep with that kind of behaviour!

More
13 years 11 months ago #207490 by reggit
I'm thinking that Ernie must at least have room to turn around, and doesn't spend most of his days inside a trailer that he can't even look out of :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 11 months ago #207512 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Circus animals
I dont agree with keeping elephants (and xtra large animals) in trailers, etc, but I dont see anything wrong with them keeping animals up to the size of, say, a llama as long as they are well cared for. Many are born in captivity and dont know any difference.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207514 by reggit
I agree with that BB, its just the big exotics like lions and elephants etc that I don't think are suited to this...

More
13 years 11 months ago #207519 by Sunflower
It's only the exotic animals that I have a problem with too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 11 months ago #207520 by oskatd
Yes, Tigger, he is a swine though - houdini with a hard head....

I figured I was in no position to judge, owning ex-racehorses and supporting the dairy industry, and having fox hunted. Am sure any animal activitist would be vehmently opposed to horse racing and fox hunting, and I think dairy cows have the most miserable of existence.

Having seen elephants in the wild and appreciated their majesty, I hear ya! Any ideas why they keep her like that, and why it is allowed?

Mind you, it did take me back to the days of the scaremongering outside Boots (chemist chain) with the anti-vivisection protests, and the horrific pictures they used to have. I always found it a bit hypocritical myself, as if you ever take any drug, use any shampoo, or cosmetic you are supporting the industry. Just my thoughts.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207524 by reggit
The elephant concerned is pretty old now and the last owner did, to his credit, try to find other homes for her, but zoos wouldn't have her as they didn't think she'd fit in with the other elephants...I imagine way back when she first was imported/introduced to the circus, not many would blink an eye at an elephant in a circus or even the conditions in which she was kept...

She is certainly in better conditions now that the new circus has her www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10500765 the trailer that I saw in photos was very large compared to the one she used to live in opposite us...and we hardly ever saw her let outside of it, which was the most upsetting to think about.

More
13 years 11 months ago #207528 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Circus animals
Hope no one on here ever keeps one sheep, cattle beast or any other herd anImal:):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds