is this fair?

More
15 years 11 months ago #13376 by rob
is this fair? was created by rob
i dont see why i should help to pay for this[:(!]

item from NZ Herald

The Herald on Sunday earlier reported the country's two largest cities were preparing to go to the Government in a bid to convince it to accept most of the liability for the billion-dollar leaky homes crisis.

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #206024 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic is this fair?
I think the issue may be that those with leaky homes could go councils, developers and builders for repair costs, but couldn't sue the government department which promotedpermitted the methods of building that allowed most of the disasters to occur...no cavities behind cladding and untreated timber frames combined were a disaster waiting to happen - in hindsight, of course...[;)]

The way I see it we all end up paying anyway. The 'last man standing' is usually a council, so if they have to pay out, then it comes from rates.

There is no easy answer to this one, its an inherently unfair situation to all concerned and the solution will be an unfair one also.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 11 months ago #206027 by rob
Replied by rob on topic is this fair?
i wish they would get the people concerned to pay and not people who had no bearing on the situation. i know builders who said those houses were a joke and should never been built. there seems to be no accountability from the idiots who designed/built or signed off these houses.

must go and calm down now

Rob

More
15 years 11 months ago #206041 by sod
Replied by sod on topic is this fair?
rob I agree with you and have been saying that about those type of houses for ages:(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 11 months ago #206078 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic is this fair?
I blame the architects..... nothing but trouble they are! ;)

More
15 years 11 months ago #206086 by Giddyup
Replied by Giddyup on topic is this fair?
I have a leaky home.

My windows leak cold, drafty air, my plumbing leaks - coz it was installed in the late 40s, my roof leaks - coz there's inferior internal guttering, my 6 chimneys leak - coz they're so old the plaster is porous and no good, the floor leaks coz of drafts from Hades.

And, I leak constantly coz I cry over the above and wish I had a normal life and a warm, comfortable home! :D

15 acres, 9 horses, 7 sheep, 50 chickens, 1 jersey cow, 3 black cats, 1 border/beardie cross, 2 cockateils, several possums and....3 teenagers[}:)]

More
15 years 11 months ago #206114 by gaalburn
Replied by gaalburn on topic is this fair?

'Too much of a good thing may be wonderful.'

More
15 years 11 months ago #206122 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic is this fair?
We had our house built when all the leaky homes were built. I remember very well when I was told that we need not go for macrocarpa framing if we didn't want treated timber to be used - we are now allowed to use untreated pine. This would save us money which we could use to build a double garage instead of a single one. I couldn't believe it because I knew what happened to one of the first chook houses we built - from untreated pine.

We went for eaves and macrocarpa (wasn't much dearer than pine) and we were told that instead of the eaves we could add another bedroom and costs would be the same. Those were building companies that offer ready built houses and you can change the floor plan to suit.

But we chose a good architect. He said that the untreated pine was a disaster waiting to happen, especially in combination with no eaves. He refused to built such houses for his customers and we are glad that we took his advice.

I reckon the people who built those houses should pay to remedy the damage. It was them who chose an extra bedroom or spa bath or whatever instead of proper building materials. And the building companies used it as a sales pitch.

More
15 years 11 months ago #206133 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic is this fair?
I used to do feature stories with real estate agents, and one day the agent in question took me to this quite spectacular house. Coincidentally, it was a few weeks after the whole "leaky homes" fiasco had been revealed to be a widespread problem.

Working the real estate round, I had all the info on typical leaky homes ie no eaves, built-in porches, cladding issues etc, so I had an idea of what a "leaky home" typically looked like.

On initial look, the house was beautiful, very impressive, all in white plaster, all very Italian-inspired. Being a fan of high ceilings, I took great interest in this one. I was photographing it, trying to show just how stunning it was, but every time I took a shot showing the ceiling, the picture looked smudged.

Finally, I took a close look at the ceiling with my eyes instead of through the camera... the smudge was actually a wide waterline running right down the ceiling, from its highest point to the lowest. I started to get a bad feeling.

The guy asked me to get a shot of the lovely view from the deck. I looked out the doors to see a built-in deck, with no drainge - nothing! Being of somewhat rotund proportions, I tentatively put a foot out and down, and felt it squish down under my feet!!! I got out of that house so fast, I had such a bad feeling, wrote the shortest-ever feature (was obliged to sadly), and told my boss about it in case it came back on us. It didn't, but I noticed a few months later it hadn't sold, and a bit after that, an un-numbered house in the street was on the "leaky homes" list as an affected property. Very scary, and I'm quite sure the guy selling knew it too.

More
15 years 11 months ago #206290 by rob
Replied by rob on topic is this fair?
these houses maybe alright in Spain but this bloody NZ, we looked at new houses and they are tinny as hell, we have bought a brick and cedar 19 years old, cannot wait till we move in.

Rob

More
15 years 11 months ago #206293 by reggit
We are building using brick and plaster. More expensive than solid plastering (plastering onto a non-solid backing) but we figure we are here for the long haul and we want this place to last longer than us! [;)]

Of course it means we won't have our kitchen or floor coverings for a while...but at least we know that the roof over our heads (or should I say, walls around us) won't let the weather in...

I shudder when I look at the areas around Hamilton that went up like mushrooms during the boom a few years back. I know from talking to some residents in that area during the work that I used to do that there are more leaky homes than the council seems to think - many not major, and have been fixed under the radar to preserve property values, but still enough of a problem that in 10-20 years (if that long) the timebomb will be going off and much of that area will be, in my opinion, considered to be aged, ugly and undesirable housing...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 11 months ago #206327 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic is this fair?
Mmm interesting reading. Like giddyup, I have a leaky home, but its the extras like the chimney, mine is soo small it can only have one, the floorboards leak air, the tongue and groove has had a fall out, somewhere in its last 70 yrs.. I have saggy ceilings , and leaky doors.. but I think its the age rather than the design.. and if only I could find it, and did some maintainance, then life would be sweet.
I do believe that the architects and designers, need to take the brunt, and thos pushing for the poor designs... when we buy sumfink we usually expect the seller to know their stuff and guide on choice etc... so why are they not being chased up.... these folk go off to design school and have puters to give options etc on design... its a bit like the china earthquake that only public or government built building fell in a flat pancake and that private ones didnt.
I think we should all sort out our old clothes cut them up and sit and crotchet a rug for Tiggs house, while the jug boils out in the paddock... she will soon have wall to wall carpet... and a great designed home.

More
15 years 11 months ago #206383 by Twinmills
Replied by Twinmills on topic is this fair?
Tigger the smartist decion you have ever and will ever make in you life is to brick then plaster as if it did and i know it wont leak you have a cavity behind the bricks where the leak can get away without causing any more damage.
THE PROBLEM with the nz law is it lets the builder, the developer and all those crooks walk away scott free.
If i was to grow drugs in NZ, any profit i make, the courts can take off me, but this rule doesnt apply to those bastards. I am sick n' tried of watching on TV the managers of collapased finnance companies and those other crooks still with their flash houses, flash cars and boats..etc.
We need to get the law changed so that their profits can be taken away to repair the leaky houses at no cost to the poor, unfortunate people that have suffered at their hands

Me and
sheep
Chooks
dog[:D][:D]

More
15 years 11 months ago #206385 by reggit
Twinmills, to what extent were the building practices that led to the problem (untreated timber framing, no cavities, no eaves etc) allowed by building codes at that time?

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds