MM #8 wire-less

More
14 years 21 hours ago #13318 by beedee
MM #8 wire-less was created by beedee
How did you get on.. are you going to join up or did you find some problems.. I am a mm out on the map of getting the right price, so have to go the full $$:rolleyes:
I did ask some questions but all they did was send me the fieldays flier that took 45 mins to download.. and found out that I have to find 10 friends to join me in the neighbourhood to get to the cheap rate. well I have no friends and being on the edge of the bubble not likely to.
Either my neighbours are too poor or one year stays as farm workers or dont exsist. its a bit isolated out here.
And if Grant reads this can you explain in very, that is very simple terms how I can use the ph using that system.. does the puter have to be on? do I keep my landline # or do I go like the teenagers and just use the cellph. I was given a skype ph a couple of eyars ago, but never used it, so just have to find that.
I am getting fed up with such poor quality and the half hour to get one post through and 2 days to pay an online bill.. so about to take the crunch..
Then you dont have to read the post where you are meant to be making some hen arks.. and can ignore the nagging :D [}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 19 hours ago #205394 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic MM #8 wire-less
LOL! I've e-mailed back and said I cant do anything for a month, so she said fine speak again in August! so of absolutley no blardy use to you at all I'm afraid!

More
14 years 19 hours ago #205402 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic MM #8 wire-less
maybe we should give each others names.. and forget there is120plus k. between us.. and yes you are right ....no flamin'gooood at all.[B)][;)]

More
14 years 19 hours ago #205412 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic MM #8 wire-less

beedee;178975 wrote: And if Grant reads this can you explain in very, that is very simple terms how I can use the ph using that system.. does the puter have to be on? do I keep my landline # or do I go like the teenagers and just use the cellph. I was given a skype ph a couple of eyars ago, but never used it, so just have to find that.

There are several ways of getting a phone service over broadband BeeDee.

1) Skype

This is the simplest way, as you already know. However, there are some drawbacks with it, the main one being that your PC needs to be left switched on.

Also, the Call Quality is not the best at times, particularly if you are receiving or making a call via a normal phone line (SkypeIn or SkypeOut). For calls to other Skype users, the quality is fine, and it is totally free. However, most of the time, you will probably be talking via a normal phone line as most people still don't use Skype.

2) Voice over IP (VoIP)

I have been using this method to make all our calls at our Russell property for over 2 years now. Just a couple of weeks ago, I also switched our Auckland house over to VoIP.

The calling rates are much much cheaper than using a normal landline. For example:

Landline: Calls to other landlines 12c to 25c per minute
VoIP: Calls to other landlines 5c to 8c per minute

Landline: Calls to mobiles 38c to 71c per minute
VoIP: Calls to mobiles 30c per minute

In order to use this method, you need one of these:

It is called an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) and it is about the size of a pack of playing cards. With this little box, you can plug any standard telephone (wired or cordless) into your broadband router.

Retail price for one of these is about $90 to $100, but I recently picked one up for $50.

The other big benefit with VoIP, is that your PC does NOT need to be left on in order to make/receive phone calls. In fact, with a little bit of effort, the wiring in your house can be converted to use VoIP phones instead of a landline. In other words, all the existing phone sockets in your house will continue to work as they always have, but your phone conversation will be carried over VoIP instead of a landline.

3) Keeping your existing phone number

Finally, it is possible to keep your existing landline number and get it connected to your VoIP phone using a process called porting. This costs about $20 and takes a week or two. There is one caveat with the porting process however:

You cannot port a disconnected number. What this means is that you must keep your landline connected until such time as you are ready to port the number. It will be automatically disconnected as part of the process, once the port has been completed.

I think I have answered all your questions BeeDee, and hope I haven't confused you too much.

No8 Wireless can provide all the things you need for Wireless Broadband, and a VoIP Phone Service as described above. They will also take care of the number porting process for you. They offer some excellent prices for Wireless Broadband, much cheaper than FarmSide, due to their use of Terrestrial Wireless rather than Satellite.

If there is anything further you need explained, please feel free to ask.

More
14 years 17 hours ago #205436 by beedee
Thanks Grant, I think I understand most of that.. So I can go skype cos thats what my children have, and VIP [lets leave the o out] for the rest of the nation and that should work out the same price of my puter and ph at present without worrying if there is a wind making the ph line hit the power, or the neighbours electric fence causing problems.... which have finally got to me... as I spend time each day waiting to do my netty chores 4 wks out of 7.. his rotation system cycle.
the one question you cant answer is why there is a chunk out of the bubble of the area where I live, making it just 200m as to why I have to go full price instead of buddy.... makes one feel very paranoid :( as its available either side of me!!!

More
14 years 17 hours ago #205438 by beedee
So now to do some housework so we can find the telephone ports .. and anything else they might need
;)

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds