Dry hands

More
14 years 3 days ago #13309 by devan
Dry hands was created by devan
Now at the risk of sounding like a girl :) does anyone else get really dry cracked hands during winter? I assume its from being outside in the cold and wind, but my hands are starting to resemble a council workers! They are all cracked and then the cracks fill up with dirt and to be perfectly honest it's not the sexiest look in the world.....and they hurt!
Anyone come accross a miracle cream?

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 days ago #205235 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Dry hands
Lanoline Creme with aleo and vitamin E , the one I have the brand is Serphil and its NZ made. Was a gift so not sure where it was bought - health shop maybe?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 days ago #205236 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Dry hands
Nutra-plus. You should be able to get it with a doctors prescription. Also, keep the hands dry and warm as much as possible. Wear gloves when working outside.

More
14 years 3 days ago #205240 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Dry hands
The Nutrogena from the supermarkets is quite good, very thick so you shouldn't need much. Also taking something like Omega 3 fish oil caps or flax oil will help from the inside out. My hands are terrible at the moment to.

More
14 years 3 days ago #205245 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Dry hands
I have suffered with this my whole life.

Either glycerine or silicone based creams will give you a bit of a barrier effect.

For healing something with celendula will work. The main thing is to keep the moisture in so apply regularly.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
14 years 3 days ago #205250 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dry hands
Make sure your hands are really well dried each time they are washed - and as others have said, a good cream. I use E45 (yes, that's its real name!) from chemist, its a paraffin/lanolin mix, very very good esp if you are sensitive to any perfumes etc.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 days ago #205252 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Dry hands
I get a natural one off trade me, called Healing Hands. Oil and beeswx based with lavender and other essential oils. It's a really good barrier one, and even after a few hand rinses (like rinsing off the dirt after a good play in the vege patch) it's still working.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 3 days ago #205253 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dry hands
Hubby also uses one that is made from emu oil - he swears by it :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 3 days ago #205261 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Dry hands
I wear gloves outside otherwise my hands crack and bleed around the knuckles and in between my fingers.
I find the showa gloves with the slightly heavier rubberised coating on them very useful. I hate wearing gloves. But these ones fit snugly and still allow you to do fine enough tasks (like undoing knots etc).
The finest ones with the rubbery bits only near the ends of the fingers get wet and they are no help but the others with the rubber coating that covers more of the fingers are brilliant. Keeps off the wind and the wet (and it's really the combination of those 2 things that nails you!!). Helps me stay warmer too.
When they do get bad (which is hardly ever now that I wear gloves) I sometimes use plain old chapstick or vaseline rubbed into the bad spots

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 3 days ago #205263 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Dry hands
Thanks guys, i have been using various different moisturisers and putting rawleys on the really deep cracks. As far a wearing gloves...as quick as i buy them, the brat steals them to ride his bike to school and promptly loses them as soon as he takes them off :(

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
14 years 3 days ago #205264 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Dry hands
get pink ones he wouldn't want to be seen dead in
:D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• maggies mum
14 years 3 days ago #205287 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Dry hands
BD has the same problem, not with pink gloves but with cracked hands!! At teh moment he is using Stokoderm and that seems pretty good, I think though he gets it from work, must be available elsewhere.

• chooky
14 years 3 days ago #205292 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Dry hands
Both the Neutrogena one and emu oil based creams work well for my daughter who is a theatre nurse and suffers from dry skin from all the hand washing . She also finds that wearing non latex gloves is a help as well so perhaps keep away from those disposable gloves. Hope you get something that helps :)

More
14 years 3 days ago #205321 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Dry hands
Of course!!!!!!!! pink ones, why didn't i think of that???? :D
You so clever, thank you [;)]

• maggies mum
14 years 3 days ago #205326 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Dry hands
I've just rubbed some of the stuff BD uses and it lovely, non greasy and a nice smell, not over bearing. My hands are as soft as a baby's bum but nowhere near as smelly!

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds