a BIG Thankyou!

More
15 years 8 months ago #205764 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic a BIG Thankyou!
Thanks guys! :)

I got to know that there is some kind of travel allowance to be claimed.
Got to know about it last week, we have now been on this for more than 6 months and I will have hard to find all dates and different doctors and x-rays and surgeries and visiting nurse and all he has been on to even fill in the form, working on it but not sure if my 50km one way to hospital will be enough even though we some weeks have been in 5 days a week.
I even asked if district nurse could top up his pump once a day instead of us driving 100km every day, we got a no to that!!!!

I have been in contact with some other people with long term/terminal illness and when I contacted winz thru an e-mail I did get to know that my pay is too high to get any support. (if you earn more than 20-22k(?) per year it is hard to get one single dollar)
I tried to get a community card but my income that is more than 20-22k per year did not allow him to get that.
when you are at this stage as we are you just have no power.
You need to be having heaps of time and health and no worries to claim and get support

The case study for equity for illness has this on their web site:

Case Studies Grant: (Cancer) Grant, (aged 47) is married with three children. If he was covered by a system with ACC’s entitlements, 80% of his previous salary would be paid while he recuperated, or if necessary, for life. Under the Ministry of Health’s eligibility criteria there is no such allowance. WINZ does provide a sickness benefit at the rate of $144.92 p/wk but given he was in fulltime employment prior to his diagnosis, it can hardly be considered an equitable or sustainable income replacement.
Note: The 2003 / 2004 census identified that an average New Zealand *family (*two adults with children) spends $888.00 per week to live. In 2007 the cost must be higher. This suggests that Grant's family are in a most serious financial situation as well as having to deal with his cancer.

"""""""""""""""""""""""'

Grant was the family provider and his wife was home with the kids, she now has to work part time and look after sick husband and kids (my note)

Most mortgage sales in NZ are because of that the owner of the house has got a long term/terminal illness.
It is not just and only loss of one income it is extra additional costs.
When you are that bad out then you only have council provided flats to go to and have to declare that you own nothing.

For your own future and your family and kids future please sign your support for equity for illness!

Once again thanks guys for your support!
It is so appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #205783 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic a BIG Thankyou!
Hi Suz, finally got to get on line.
Was a pleasure to help ; cant do much else at the moment :-(
I was sure those vouchers would come in very, very handy.
Do you need any hay by any chance; someone asked & I forgot to ask if you still have beefie, horse, etc???
Oh, yes, your lamb is growing like a mushroom, hes really tall for his age. Unfortunately he may not get his booster vaccine so hope he can hang in there until I get back on my feet....

More
15 years 8 months ago #205827 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic a BIG Thankyou!
Hi Suzanne,

for travelling allowances the conditions are set by the local district health boards. Have a look here:

www.workandincome.govt.nz/manuals-and-pr...l_needs_grant-26.htm

In this case an allowance is payable if the patient has to travel more than 8km one way for treatment. So with your 50km you should be well within the threshold of any District Health Board.

Those colleagues of mine who got help with their mortgage payments had salaries in the 40k to 50k range (12 years ago) so were relatively well off. And they were not sick, just out of work temporarily. I remember very well when this 'news' was passed around because noone was aware of this being available. So please - go to WINZ and ask in person. WINZ doesn't give out more than they MUST - there are far too many people who want something from them. There have been several cases where people have taken WINZ to court because they were not told of their entitlements by WINZ staff. Don't know who won but all these people found out through friends who worked there or similar.

I have a friend who retired at age 48. Her husband had retired at age 37 and since then they have been living off the interest of the money they have in the bank. They also have a nice LSB with a relatively new house etc etc. At the moment she is enjoying the European summer.

And guess what? She has a community services card.

Some things do suck, yes, definitely. And she is entitled to this card as assets are not tested - only income and that is below the threshold.

I gave this example here because that's what WINZ staff and the likes have to deal with. If you go there instead of writing an email you'll be able to talk to a person and you may well strike it lucky that you get some real help.

You had to take time off work, didn't you. And you didn't get paid for this. So your current income is - with all likelyhood - much lower than last year's income.

Also from what you wrote you don't seem to be married?? Then they can't treat you how it suits them. I. e. as unmarried when it comes to you (as you have an income) and as married when it comes to your partner (who has no income at the moment). If you live together you are treated the same as a married couple when it comes to claiming a benefit so your income needs to provide for two and the threshold is higher.

I'm not sure whether I have expressed myself clearly enough. Maybe a budget advice service would know details? Or the Citizen's Advice Bureau? They probably know who you can ask.

I know - it isn't fair that you get the runaround on top of everything else you have to cope with.

So how is your partner doing? How much longer does he have to endure chemo?

Best wishes!

More
15 years 8 months ago #205834 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic a BIG Thankyou!
The problem with WINZ (from friends' experiences) is the same as the problem with banks, councils, ACC and IRD - unless you are assertive, you tend to get walked all over. And, unless you do a lot of research on your own, you tend not to be told all that you are entitled to or things you can do to make life a bit easier for yourself...:(

And those who are most in need of help tend to be some of the least assertive as they are already vulnerable in other ways because of what they are going through, and asserting themselves is just another stress to deal with...

Citizens Advice might help; anyone know if there are any advocacy groups that someone in Suzanne's situation could contact who'd be able to help her with info? There used to be a 'beneficiaries union' or something similar that made sure people got their entitlements...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 8 months ago #205849 by Birman Babe
I get paid for going from my place to Thames Hospital & return (about 25km return trip) ...

More
15 years 8 months ago #205851 by reggit
Because yours would be on ACC, BB, which is what Suzanne points out is so unfair to those who aren't ACC but sickness...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 8 months ago #205862 by AdoubleJ
Replied by AdoubleJ on topic a BIG Thankyou!
unless you are assertive, you tend to get walked all over. And, unless you do a lot of research on your own, you tend not to be told all that you are entitled to or things you can do to make life a bit easier for yourself...:(

Some of us do our job properly...................................

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
15 years 8 months ago #205873 by Birman Babe
Oh, yes, forgot about me being ACC & M not being.
AdoubleJ...LOL..and how are those 2 slinky's coming along?

More
15 years 8 months ago #205881 by Simkin
Very well said, Tigger.

More
15 years 8 months ago #205919 by reggit
A2J, sorry if I offended [:I], but making the comment as a general observation from my own (and close friends') experiences of these departments/organisations.

And by assertive, I don't mean aggressive, either, but being willing to make sure you do front up, question things, and ask.

More
15 years 8 months ago #206652 by Hestia
I did just get a reply to my claim to get some support towards gas money.Since my hubbie does not have a community card he will not get any gas money paid.He does not get any community card becasue I earn more than 22.000 (?) per year.(to drive him to and from hospital is 100km, if they keep him over the day it is 200km and we have done this trip many many many times last 6 months! some weeks we have been in 3-4 days a week)I would manage if he was for instance unemployed, but add sick and all medication and transport in top of it,,It is just to face it, you get long term sick and you get nothing.We have not got one single dollar support during his sickness.

More
15 years 8 months ago #206663 by Simkin
I'll make some enquiries re thresholds and post them here. I know two couples, both double income earners who had some very bad luck in the past and they got support. I can't believe the 22K threshold.

More
15 years 8 months ago #206688 by Simkin
Hi Suzanne,

Cut-off point for sickness benefit is 519 Dollars/week gross for a couple. This equates 26,988 gross p.a.

Cut-off point for accommodation supplement is 38k p.a. The accommodation supplement is 55$/week max

Cut-off point for disability allowance is 765 Dollars /week gross. This equates 39,788 gross p.a.. The disability allowance is 54$/week max. For this you need to ask the doctor who provides treatment to fill out a disability allowance application form.

The hospital board is responsible for assessing you and your hubby for home help.

It's your current income that counts.

Hope this helps.

More
15 years 8 months ago #206690 by Hestia
Thanks for help with finding out.I earn too much to get sickness benefit.I have PM'ed you

More
15 years 8 months ago #206857 by Hestia
when I got to know about ministry of healths travel assistance,,the receptionist at the hopsital did fill in one form with just hubbies name,nothing else, receptionost sends this in to show stamps with hospital and where treated,,no details of how often travel is done or so,,
I got a piece of paper where I am to fill in all travel details and send in separately.

I am to send that travel paper in this week.
All travel done from january to today.

yesterday the paper the nurse filled in came back with a red pen stating declined.

it was just the register paper from the receptionist and no other info and no info of our travel as that is to be sent in by us.

Still they sent out this paper with declined written on it!

they have declined travel assistance without even getting info of how often and how far and so on!!

jst the basic first registerpaper gets declined written on it! is that how to make people not to apply for it and give up???
declined before even sending info!!

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds