Can hardly believe it .....

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #13183 by Midge
pinch me! I'm getting Broadband next Friday[:0] And it's a great deal!! 3 GB for $26.95 for the first 6 months then going up to $39.95 there after.

Telcom phoned last night to say they've updated our exchange. It certainly shows - as of this morning dial-up is working so fast it's making me giddy :D When I hover over the two pc symbols it shows a whopping 42.6 kbs. Unbelievable!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203442 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Can hardly believe it .....
Congratulations!

They are a weird bunch. Kim has some clients who wanted broadband but were told they couldn't have it. Some excuse about not being out their way yet..... which was interesting because their neighbours across the road had it.

It certainly makes things happen a bit quicker. Photos download really quickly instead of being able to walk off and put the jug on while they download, you barely have time to blink. (When it's working properly of course) Great stuff!

Yakut

• maggies mum
14 years 2 weeks ago #203478 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Can hardly believe it .....
I've just had an email form rural link that a summat or other has been erected at a neighbours place and that they have a Fieldays special price on, but I can't open the PDF file once its downloaded so know nothing more than that!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203485 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Can hardly believe it .....
O,O,your posts will go up sooooooo fast now:eek:,how you managed on DO makes one wonder how much time you spent online:rolleyes: :p

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203489 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Can hardly believe it .....
hi sod,

you will love boradband, it is awesome.

we moved recently and then were told we couldn't get broadband! no available ports on the exchange or some such thing! that was a complete disaster..... a household of six adults, one teenager and two babies, five laptops, two desktops, and two people who use the internet for work!!!

anyway, we had to switch from our old provider to xtra and try again, still no luck.

then a family member who works for telecom told us that we had two exchanges going past our house.... so he managed to get us switched to the other exchange. this was no easy task and took a bit of pressure, and of course we had to pay connection fees etc and get a new phone number and sign up for broadband through xtra...

suddenly we could get broadband after all!

so we then called up our old provider and let them know. next thing, they had us switched back to them, refunded our xtra fees, gave us a free month and arranged for us to keep the xtra wireless router thingy without paying for it!!!!! woo hoo, they are definitely our favourite providers now.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203491 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Can hardly believe it .....
Crikey, sounds complicated, tonic!

Go, Midge, you won't know yourself! Be interested to see if you use all your 3GB - good price though.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203501 by Llew
Replied by Llew on topic Can hardly believe it .....
IS this part if the fabled "fibre to your street corner" rollout? (roadside cabinets in all neighbourhoods which are broadband hubs to residents.)

If John Key gets in, and he's not just talking through a hole in his head (which is possible, given the prohibitive cost when he prices it) he'll extend fibre from those cabinets to every home in NZ!

Then, you'll see some impressive broadband speed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203524 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Can hardly believe it .....

maggies mum;176911 wrote: I've just had an email form rural link that a summat or other has been erected at a neighbours place and that they have a Fieldays special price on...

Sounds great MM [8D]

Rural Link's prices are usually very good and you should get a much more generous data cap than the Farmside Satellite service was offering.

Let me know how you get on. I will be interested to hear of your experience as I may end up joining Rural Link myself come October when my current contract expires.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203527 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Can hardly believe it .....

Midge;176868 wrote: pinch me! I'm getting Broadband next Friday[:0] And it's a great deal!! 3 GB for $26.95 for the first 6 months then going up to $39.95 there after.

That's an excellent deal Midge. 3GB should be plenty for your needs, having come across from Dialup.

However, if you have any kids who are into downloading movies or music, keep a close eye on your usage as it may exceed 3GB quite quickly [:0]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203553 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Can hardly believe it .....
no news on our exchange... telecom said it was to be upgraded to handle extra BB lines, but nothing has come of that :( I'm still stuck on Dialup.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203561 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Can hardly believe it .....
You won't know yourself.

I would consider not buying a property that couldn't get broadband...

Actually we are apparently not able to get broadband according to the Telecom helpdesk, who practice ridiculous statements on a regular basis, as we are too far from the exchange. I do think they should do a few more trial installations in rural areas as ours works fine.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203593 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic Can hardly believe it .....
Awe, it's nice to have you guys sharing my joy :)

Just goes to show that the squeaky wheel gets oiled. I've tried to phone Telecom every month asking for BB and when they advertise specials I'd phone up and ask to be signed up for that plan[;)] I'd also encouraged neighbours to keep phoning them. The woman I spoke said that they had kept a note of my requests. So you guys that haven't yet got BB - keep hounding the buggers with requests.

What should I know about this 'router' thingee that you mention Tonic?

Ohhh, you mention movies Grant - any suggestions of good sites? We don't have, don't intend to get sky and there's very little worth watching on the box so a good movie site would be lovely :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203724 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Can hardly believe it .....
We are hopefully getting broadband soon - Telecom dont know if we can get it as one neighbour can but the other neighbour cannot! We seem to be in a no mans land of broadband. So we will try their 30 day money back offer to see what happens.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #203808 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Can hardly believe it .....
Midge,
thats the deal we just got , you will not know how you managed without BB

Rob

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds