For the computer experts...

More
14 years 1 week ago #13131 by DiDi
Now this is probably really dumb but I am running out of GB for this month which is why I am asking the question. Boredom does amazing things for the inquisitive mind...

How exactly does you Service Provider measure how much you are using. For example - if I go into LSB five times a day, does each time I open it measure the full upload? Would I just be better to leave it minimised on the screen and jump back in when I want to?

What would you do if your upload speed is say 62 when you are meant to be getting 126 but you are not too fazed because your download speed for 500KB is over 4000 kbps? Does this affect your useage?

Since going with Braodband my monthly useage has gone from about a quarter of 1 GB to running out in 15 days - not that they have slowed it down - but what is happening? Bouncing around more because it is so fast?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #202489 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic For the computer experts...
probably the bouncing around :D

every time you open a page it pulls the full page down again, but unless there are BIG attachments and apps on the page, each page is pretty miniscule to the total in and of itself, it's the sheer number you open that makes the bandwidth go wild. :D

If the budget allows, an uncapped plan is always wisest :P at least until you know HOW much you are using constantly, and then reduce down to the cap that fits that amount.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 1 week ago #202499 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic For the computer experts...

DiDi;175835 wrote: How exactly does you Service Provider measure how much you are using.

They measure the traffic uploaded and downloaded via your port at the exchange, or wireless node, as appropriate.

DiDi;175835 wrote: For example - if I go into LSB five times a day, does each time I open it measure the full upload?

Under normal circumstances, your web browser will only download elements of the page that have changed since last time e.g. if there are images that are unchanged since the last refresh, they won't be downloaded again. This is the function of the browser cache.

You can of course Force a complete set of page elements to be downloaded by clicking the Refresh button. Normally, if you open the page via a link from somewhere else, unchanged elements won't be reloaded.

DiDi;175835 wrote: Would I just be better to leave it minimised on the screen and jump back in when I want to?

It won't make any difference at all.

DiDi;175835 wrote: What would you do if your upload speed is say 62 when you are meant to be getting 126 but you are not too fazed because your download speed for 500KB is over 4000 kbps? Does this affect your useage?

No, not at all. The total traffic is measured and this doesn't change regardless of whether it downloads at 62kbps or 126kbps.

DiDi;175835 wrote: Since going with Braodband my monthly useage has gone from about a quarter of 1 GB to running out in 15 days - not that they have slowed it down - but what is happening? Bouncing around more because it is so fast?

Have you discovered the joys of YouTube?
Or are you downloading music?

Somehow, your usage has increased from 0.25GB per month to 2GB -- which is still not that much really. Is it costing you in excess charges once you go over 1GB? Maybe it's time to look at a different plan?

More
14 years 1 week ago #202501 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic For the computer experts...
Also remember that you are charged for total traffic - download and upload.

Simple email and browsing don't usually contribute much to the Gb total, although viewing lots of pics, vids, grabbing music etc can add up fairly fast especially if you are doing it more often than previously.

On a sour note, a virus or trojan can hijack and be sending and receiving large files or messages which can tote up fast.

The latest browsers also have a feature called PreFetching. From the website you are on, it silently goes to the sites linked from that page, just in case you click the link. That way it displays a lot faster, as it already has the page.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 1 week ago #202510 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic For the computer experts...
Thanks guys. I thought maybe someone else was using my connection through my Linkysys Router - possible? Change the pasword maybe?

No I am not being charged extra - they email to say I am nearing my cap and that it will slow down but so far nothing has happened to change the speed. Shush. Perhaps we 1 GB people are not putting up a red flag following the warning. It jsut seems odd to me that I am using this much when I have a historic access amount to relate too. Yes my daughter's boyfriend does hit U Tube but he knows he has limited time available because of my cap and I have checked the useage when he is here and it is not that much. Just finding it all a bit weird.

Having said that - and I know you will love this Grant - B****y Vista has so many update downloads. Assuming they go with the cap? Can't change as on contract and overall I am really happy with V. $66 unlimited phone calls + unlimited Australia calls plus Broadband at 4104 download with 1 GB cap. Don't think it costs that much to go up to 3GB either. Still way cheaper than what I had.

More
14 years 1 week ago #202512 by DiDi
Hey Kim,

Eeech - have AVG 8 - is that not enough? Says I'm as clean as a whistle. Also have all the Vista thingies which is probably not a good idea as it constantly tells me I have no virus protection and yet AVG 8 claims it does. Help!

More
14 years 1 week ago #202516 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic For the computer experts...

DiDi;175875 wrote: Having said that - and I know you will love this Grant - B****y Vista has so many update downloads. Assuming they go with the cap?

Yes, ALL traffic is metered, regardless of the source.

DiDi;175875 wrote: Can't change as on contract and overall I am really happy with V. $66 unlimited phone calls + unlimited Australia calls plus Broadband at 4104 download with 1 GB cap.

Some of Vodafone's new plans are excellent value, among the best in the market at present.

Have you left Wired Country and moved onto wired broadband DiDi?

DiDi;175875 wrote: Don't think it costs that much to go up to 3GB either. Still way cheaper than what I had.

Probably just $1 or $2 per GB DiDi [8D]

More
14 years 1 week ago #202519 by DiDi
Yep - I pulled the plug on WC Grant as the Vodafone wired broadband offer was too good to refuse. I also had the advantage of being an ihug (for billing -now V) customer so even though I said I had a contract I was told it would not apply. Just no reason to change now as I am happy.

More
14 years 1 week ago #202522 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic For the computer experts...
Keep in mind my recent wireless post, there was I working away on the back deck 3 weeks ago, and low and behold my computer downloaded all my vista updates using someone else's belkin wireless router signal (not mine).

I have since sent out an email to my neighbours, no reply and not even a thanks, but the signal is now password protected....

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds